Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - KRA77 - 2012-11-01

@fritsch

It may be my problem, but it might also become the problem of many others. Don't know exactly what this thread and the idea behind the xvba branch is if it's just to test and report problems with XVBA, but if it's supposed to be a viable alternative to standard xbmc I guess it would need to support live-tv seeking, and it might very well be a problem with the xvba implementation, but I have no idea ?

as for the build versionI was using, I updated less than 4 hours ago and other people using nightly xbmc have had it working for several days. If there is a newer build from today that has pulled in changes that may apply to this issue I would be more than happy to try again.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-11-02

@KRA77:
I thought i made that clear during this now 145 pages of a thread. This ppa was intended to get code tested, that should go (or even should have gone) into mainline at a specific point, when it was ready - or the people in mainline are ready and volunteer to get it. It is not meant to replace xbmc or being a long term standalone alternative. As you see within this thread, it is not managable by just three guys, as the user base grows and grows daily.

You can see the latest testing builds here: https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/xbmc-xvba-testing (age 6 hours and 10 minutes).

Xvba/vdpau rewrite changes a lot, it is now approx 10.000 (10k) lines of code ahead of mainline xbmc, basically on the PVR front vnsi and the vnsi-plugin-server are on focus as they are also developed by fernetmenta. Our testing mainly concentrates on xvba/vdpau changes, for these we have specific test movies (call it a test suite, if you like it), these are played through before a new "xbmc-xvba" release comes up. "xvba-testing" is just a daily build of current fernetmenta master, it does _not_ mean that it is completeley rebased on current master, it is just a "most up2date as possible" snapshot.

It is really kind of you, that you are testing this software, but don't expect it to be failsafe, error free and so on, nor the -testing builds be tested for every usecase. For the next time, if you find such issues, that this version of xbmc highly differs from mainline, take a look at fernetmenta master branch, check when the last rebase happened, wait a few days and report it on github.com/fernetmenta or come to irc and ask before. Sometimes new features are in the middle of developing and a rebase onto a newer PVR API cannot be done.

Oki, so have fun testing the upcoming -testing versions.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - KRA77 - 2012-11-02

@fritsch

Just to be clear I don't expect XVBA-testing to be a stable release (but my experience have been good so far).

But I'm still confused, the idea must be that at some point XVBA would be in the mainline xbmc. And thus problems and missing features needs to be sorted out. Is this not the place to report these user level issues, you want it on IRC ? If you point me in the direction of github and want me to compare releases and patches, then I'm out, I don't understand that stuff, although I must admit I've been looking at "commits" on github as a type of changelog to follow, but most of it is just greek to me.

If I run into problems, I come here and nag you guys about it. Today I took the extra step to compare the issue against vanilla xbmc too see if it was a issue with my setup, or the xbmc build. Unless given further instructions this is where my capability stops.

Keep up the good work guys, I'll be back but I'm probably gonna test vanilla nightly xbmc for some days now see if I notice any other changes.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-11-02

KRA77:

In general: wsnipex-testing is: current master + xvba /vdpau rewrite + dropsdl + player buffering + some other minor fixes, nothing more, nothing less. The patches are "on top" (git rebase -i upstream/master).

This said: Everything else ist purely mainline, so every new feature that gets in there also gets into wsnipex-testing. Most of the changes are easily incorparated after the first rebase has been done succesfully, but there are also patches that make trouble and need a merge. I did not look into PVR live recordings, out of the reasons I wrote in my last entry, but it could very well be that it requires and API bump and therefore has been dropped.

So for now, we note: live tv timeshifting behaves different on xvba to xbmc master, right?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - KRA77 - 2012-11-02

well, more spesific would be, "unable to rewind", but note this is with NextPVR plugin, the behaviour may be different with other plugins, I don' t know. I assume Fernetmenta has control on the vnsi, but I don't know if that is a timeshifting plugin so he can test.

You should also note that rewind is far from perfect in Nathans build (I assume this is vanilla xbmc). But at least it is actually rewinding, where as in xvba-testing there is no rewind at all.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - wsnipex - 2012-11-02

do you use the same pvr addon on both versions? Nathans builds don't include them afaik.

yes, using version NPVR 1.0.1.0 I have to manually replace the files in /usr/lib and /usr/share. Install from zip does not work, it doesn't load the plugin from .xbmc in home.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - wsnipex - 2012-11-02

well, a good start to look into this would be a debug log...

For sure, I will make one with Nathans build and one with yours, don't hold your breath though, maybe I can test tonight, if not maybe sunday Smile

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - FernetMenta - 2012-11-02

I just pushed a patch for seeking/rw. Those methods are still a desaster ...
Let me know if it works better now.

ok, but I guess I will have to wait for wsnipex next testing build.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - KRA77 - 2012-11-03

(2012-11-02, 14:57)FernetMenta Wrote: I just pushed a patch for seeking/rw. Those methods are still a desaster ...
Let me know if it works better now.

I just installed wsnipex build from yesterday, I can now "rewind" somewhat, that is I see that it's rewinding because it's showing images that indicate it's rewinding, but when I hit play it just continue from "live" point. So it does in fact rewind, but it's unable to continue from the point where you press play again, so it continue from live.

Here is debug log, this is what I did
1. sudo service lightdm restart
2. go into live-tv
3. pick a channel
4. go into fullscreen
5. let it play for a while
6. rewind (I see it's rewinding)
7. hit play (it continues from live point and if buffering several times before it's able to play normal)
8. let it play a while
9. pause
10. press play, it continue normal from pause point
11. press stop
12. post log.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1329481/

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - FernetMenta - 2012-11-04

Should work now with the new patch. You should also notify the addon authors that they should update time during rewind.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - KRA77 - 2012-11-04

Ok thanks, I've report to plugin developer.

I update now seems I got the new patch and can report the following.

1. tried rewind, image just froze, no updates but when I press play I notice it did in fact rewind.

2. played a little and rewind again, this time it did update screen, seems if you rewind the same part 2 times it will show image updates, but not first time.

3. FF seems to have gotten somewhat boken and very erratic with this update,
- first of when I do FF 2x it does fast, slow, fast, slow, fast etc...
- later it behaves normal at 2X
- sometimes when I do FF it just stops FF (even though it's still far behind live) when I hit play it's about at that point where FF froze
- sometimes when I do FF (this was 8X) it froze and start at completely wrong point (it actually rewind)

4. After doing several rewind/FF testing I just continue watch, and it seems to have several buffering issue, just like skipping (not enough to bring up the buffering osd) then all of a sudden after about 6 minutes it just skips 5 minutes ahead to the live point.

Maybe some of these problems are related to the missing time update in plugin you mention.

If there is any point I will do tests again with debug log later.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - mike08 - 2012-11-04

hello to all

i want to thank all for this topic ,it's a lot information for this htps
i have some troubles with my zotac ad02
i'm running on ubuntu 12.04 LTS
the next week i have crash with my xbmc when i testing a new skin
i running with the xbmc of ppa: wsnipex / xbmc-xvba
i have remove on ssh my xbmc and my ati driver
now my xbmc freeze on alls videos in 1080p , 720p and sd files work perfectly
i have tested with catalyst_12.9_quantal and official 12.6 , 12.8 and new 12.10
i have also tested xbmc version on ppa: wsnipex / xbmc-xvba-eden and on ppa: wsnipex / xbmc-xvba-test
i have testing all method , on the wiki and this topic and on http://youresuchageek.blogspot.fr/2012/06/xbmc-install-and-config-howto-for-linux.html
if someone can help me
thank's in advance

sorry for my basic english i'm french