Kodi Community Forum
Audio Delay on Unpause - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Audio Delay on Unpause (/showthread.php?tid=101011)

Pages: 1 2

Audio Delay on Unpause - WisdomWolf - 2011-05-08

I have a strange audio delay issue with xbmc 10.1. I have an Aspire Revo connected to an Onkyo receiver via HDMI. The audio problem is most prevalent when playing HD videos that contain either DD 5.1 or DTS audio. Basically what happens is that when I play the video, XBMC sends the multi-channel stream to the receiver and all works. As soon as I pause the video the receiver indicates that it's dropped back down to a two channel stream. So when I unpause the video begins playing immediately, but the receiver has to take a few seconds to switch back to the multi-channel stream. This leads to a second or two of video without sound.

I've searched to see if there is a solution, but either no one else has this issue or my search skills suck (if so I apologize). I'm thinking there are two possible solutions:

- rewind or back up say 3-5 secs on resume

or

- keep sending a multi-channel signal to the receiver when paused would be a way to resolve it.

I'm not sure if either of these solutions are possible or feasible, but I figured I'd put the idea out there. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

- WisdomWolf - 2011-05-09

Am I the only one that experiences this issue?

- The_Dogg - 2011-05-09

I have the same problem, it's a bug in nvidia drivers, known as the silent stream bug (or something like that)

I didn't find a solution for it, I know the issue happens with ATI cards aswell (but I remember seeing a forum post somewhere saying that the issue was fixed for ATI)

anyway I don't think xbmc has anything to do with this, it's up to nvidia to fix it

- WisdomWolf - 2011-05-10

Ahh good to know that I'm not the only one that experiences this issue. I'm wondering if we can create a custom script or patch for those that experience the issue that will back up, say 3 seconds when unpausing. That would be a temporary bandaid, but would work.

- The_Dogg - 2011-05-10

the problem also happens when you start a video, the first 2 seconds are cut also (especially if you are not using navigation sounds) so what you are suggesting would only work with pause.

- WisdomWolf - 2011-05-10

The problem at the start of a video is barely noticeable, primarily because there typically isn't anything important in the first 2 seconds of most movies or tv shows. It is problematic for pausing though because if there is dialogue in those 2-3 seconds the only way to recover it is to jump back 30 seconds.

- The_Dogg - 2011-05-10

if you want an easy fix, you can change the length of the jump in your advancedsettings.xml and set it to 3 secs

- bmtphoenix - 2011-05-14

I'm having the same problem with my ATI HDMI out. I'm using the newest drivers available, so it definitely isn't fixed. It's pretty annoying, too. Pause to talk to someone, unpause and miss the next 3-5 seconds of audio. XBMC could fix this by just keeping a constant DTS stream open, even when paused. I don't know why it wouldn't.

- WisdomWolf - 2011-05-15

bmtphoenix Wrote:I'm having the same problem with my ATI HDMI out. I'm using the newest drivers available, so it definitely isn't fixed. It's pretty annoying, too. Pause to talk to someone, unpause and miss the next 3-5 seconds of audio. XBMC could fix this by just keeping a constant DTS stream open, even when paused. I don't know why it wouldn't.

I wonder the same thing, but I'm no coder. Must be harder than it seems. I wish I understood more code so I could actually contribute something to this issue and others.

- Deicide - 2011-07-04

It is definitely a XBMC problem.
I'm having the exact same problem with xbmc when I start a movie, pause a movie, skip back/forward a movie etc.
The reason I'm positive it's a XBMC issue is that I know how to make it NOT happen using VLC.
Use the following settings in VLC and you'll be happy to see the problem disappear:
Goto VLC - Preferences - Audio
Select Output module: DirectX audio output
Tick: Use S/PDIF when available
...and play your movie of choice that uses Dolby Digital or DTS.. no audio pause when pausing and unpausing etc.

Now if only XBMC could be fixed to do the same thing!

- kazibole - 2012-03-05

Same problem!

RE: Audio Delay on Unpause - CyberEvil - 2012-05-08

Same issue here.

Audio Delay on Unpause - ElanX - 2012-05-08

I have it too with ATI and Windows 7.

RE: Audio Delay on Unpause - jcullen84 - 2012-05-08

Same issue here.
Win 7, Current release

Sad

RE: Audio Delay on Unpause - fisk - 2012-07-24

Same problem here - figured I'd bump it one more time... XBMCbuntu on an ASRock 330 w/NVIDIA ION