Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Free Cable - US station aggregator - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Free Cable - US station aggregator (/showthread.php?tid=101938)

- youngml - 2011-07-08

BlueCop Wrote:youngml: try this librtmp. Replace the existing file in "/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/Frameworks" on your atv2. that should fix the handshake issue. It should also work on ios but I am not sure the exact place to put it.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Awesome. Can't wait to try it tonight. Thank you again.

- angel4b - 2011-07-08

mrdally, were you able to get freecable v 1.3 with the additions working on the xbox? Thanks for the updates bluecop Smile

- GoodOmens - 2011-07-09

BlueCop Wrote:youngml: try this librtmp. Replace the existing file in "/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/Frameworks" on your atv2. that should fix the handshake issue. It should also work on ios but I am not sure the exact place to put it.

Iceman72: when I commit new code it should update automatically.

Edit: I also wanted to add that on atv2 that higher resolution vp6/mp3 streams do not work well. For example conan episodes on tbs are vp6/mp3 at 864x480 which seems to be slightly more then atv2 can handle. it will drop alot of frames when there is alot of movement. all the h264/aac work great though because they are hardware accelerated.

Works great! Thanks!

Any way to identify which streams use h264?

- mlowery - 2011-07-09

Hi,

I just have a quick question, is this repo basically like cable in terms of playing or streaming content live or is it basically TV shows downloaded from the website?

Thanks.

- BlueCop - 2011-07-09

jaredades Wrote:@BlueCop How can I donate to all your great work? GONZO!
just donate to xbmc so they can keep up their good work. I think I might start taking bitcoin donations in the future. That is mainly out of curiosity about bitcoin though.

rflores2323 Wrote:is the front page updated with all new stations that are working? Also which stations are or are not working on atv2 with the new librtmp file?
nope it isn't updated with all the new stations. I have added most of the ones listed as to be added but there are several I have done not on the list. I am just planning a big release with all the stations hopefully pretty soon.

mynumbistongue Wrote:does anyone know if their is an updated librtmp file for atv1.
I am not sure. I converted my appletv1 to run ubuntu with xbmc so I could do 1080p output. It just needs to be compiled for the specific platform.

angel4b Wrote:mrdally, were you able to get freecable v 1.3 with the additions working on the xbox? Thanks for the updates bluecop Smile
it should be compatible in the next release. it is just going to disable all the sqlite stuff. so those features will be disabled but all the content will be available.

GoodOmens Wrote:Any way to identify which streams use h264?
Isn't really possible until playback right now. NBC for example has 720p episodes of alot of shows. they didn't started using h264/aac till mid-season though. so earlier in the season episodes are vp6/mp3 in 720p and later ones are h264/aac.

I am thinking of including a specific feature for atv2 users to have a seperate limit for vp6/mp3 resolution or bitrate so it uses a lower quality vp6 stream that atv2 can decode without issue.

I also tried out xbmc on ipad2 and it works great on all the streams. even the 720p vp6/mp3 work fine.

also I am heading out to vegas next month with my friend for defcon which should be cool. I haven't been since 2000. It is going to be fun if anyone wants to grab a drink with an asshole then drop me a line.

- BlueCop - 2011-07-09

mlowery Wrote:I just have a quick question, is this repo basically like cable in terms of playing or streaming content live or is it basically TV shows downloaded from the website?

it isn't about live content at all. It is really about tv stations that stream episodic content from their websites. It is an attempt to take advantage of any available US stations that can be used in xbmc now that hulu is not currently working. It boils down to that I want hulu back but don't have the technical skill to add the needed features to librtmp to get it working again. I just made this because it is something I am capable of doing to get some content I want back.

- mlowery - 2011-07-09

BlueCop Wrote:it isn't about live content at all. It is really about tv stations that stream episodic content from their websites. It is an attempt to take advantage of any available US stations that can be used in xbmc now that hulu is not currently working. It boils down to that I want hulu back but don't have the technical skill to add the needed features to librtmp to get it working again. I just made this because it is something I am capable of doing to get some content I want back.

Thanks BlueCop,.

Another quick question, I live in Canada, will i be subject to any bloackages because content unavailable to Canadians. Also how does this addon compare to icefilms

Thanks Again.

- BlueCop - 2011-07-09

depends on the website. it is ussually not that hard to bypass region restrictions and some are already without any proxy. some need to proxy certain requests. the rtmp servers can ussually be streamed directly.

icefilms is different because it is user uploaded content hosted by another company. It has a huge library but could be shutdown in the future due to legal pressure or domain seizures. I just prefer to use the orginal station website if possible. I really just want hulu and netflix content in xbmc but doesnt seem to happening anytime soon.

free cable will never have the amount of content icefilms does because it is just what the content distrobutor has available to you. like fx has a 30 day delay on most shows. Sad

- mrdally204 - 2011-07-09

I'm excited to see you kept the Xbox people in mind when you were adding other content! I'll speak for them with a big Thanks!

I miss Hulu as well,but this is a great way to bridge the gap. I've cut the cable and this makes it very convenient catching a show I missed while still staying legal! I look forward to updates, both program and dev progress talk. I'm running on Windows 7 and Xbox if you would like me to try it out on the Xbox, feel free to send it over to me (:

- youngml - 2011-07-09

youngml Wrote:Awesome. Can't wait to try it tonight. Thank you again.

It works very, very well. This has made my month. Thank you again!

- mrdally204 - 2011-07-09

Just wanted to give a heads up, it appears that ABC Family in 0.0.4 is broken. Below is the log. Errors out when trying to play a stream.

http://pastebin.com/MBawg0ip

- xkamuix - 2011-07-09

Just wanted to say THANKS for this! I have it running on my ATV2 and it just increased my usage of it exponentially!

One thing I wanted to point out, I was testing "Days of our lives" since my wife gets back in town tomorrow and I wanted to surprise her. The episodes there are like 9-10 currently streamable episodes on NBC's site all listed by date.

On FreeCable it lists most of them under one date only and then the rest under a second. Instead of each individually dated.

Thanks again for all that you do this has been such a help!

- bladeds - 2011-07-09

i have updated librtmp, thanks for providing this update. fox, south park studios, syfy, tv land, adult swim now work however tnt, tbs and spike still do not work for me. i am in the uk and using unblock us, ns if this is why tnt, tbs and still do not work

Iceman72: when I commit new code it should update automatically.

Edit: I also wanted to add that on atv2 that higher resolution vp6/mp3 streams do not work well. For example conan episodes on tbs are vp6/mp3 at 864x480 which seems to be slightly more then atv2 can handle. it will drop alot of frames when there is alot of movement. all the h264/aac work great though because they are hardware accelerated.

- bladeds - 2011-07-09

it would be great if amc was added with breaking bad coming soon

- davilla - 2011-07-10

BlueCop Wrote:I am not sure what you mean. I assumed highlandsun would eventually make a new stable version at some point in time and then would be updated in xbmc after that.

I just modified the patch file in the darwin tools for librtmp to patch handshake.h in rtmpdump 2.3 with the old flash version so rtmp servers dont request the newer unsupported handshake. that change is already in the current git for rtmpdump which i took it from.

we can't pull from git on the buildbots, so we need a tarball and would rather keep them release tarballs instead of manually pulling and making from rxxxxx versioned tarball.