Kodi Community Forum
Aeon NOX SDTV Mod - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon Nox: Silvo (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=142)
+---- Thread: Aeon NOX SDTV Mod (/showthread.php?tid=102353)

Pages: 1 2

Aeon NOX SDTV Mod - dascmo - 2011-05-27

With many great skins available for XBMC I have found very few of them that cater to those of us with SDTV's. The big issue always being the font's are extremely hard to read.

Since I started using XBMC I have been in awe of one skin, Aeon, but due to performance I was not happy with it on my ION system. With the release of Aeon Nox by Big_Noid I finally get to use Aeon on my ION platform with no performance issues. The only thing left to do was to Mod the fonts and spacing of certain text to make it work well on an SDTV. Below is my personal mod of Aeon NOX.

Aeon Nox SDTV Mod is truly Big_Noid's version at the core with the font's replaced and resized and some spacing changes to fix overlapping text. It also incorporates the rightlist Mod that Danofun added in the original Aeon Nox thread that works very well for SDTV's.

I find the Lowlist and Rightlist views to work the best, and the most aesthetically pleasing in my opinion. I will continue to make updates and fix font and spacing related issues with this mod. Bug fixes will be handled by remodding Big_Noid's version from the Aeon Nox repo as he releases them. He works fas so updates will probably only be for major releases.

Thank you everyone that has contributed to Aeon Nox and especially Big_Noid for creating such a smooth and bug free version. This is just my way of giving back to the community.Smile

For those of you running an ION I strongly suggest using Linux and enabling DDSFanart. I find performance on Linux to be much better than Windows. Linux may be harder to setup initially but is well worth it in the long run.

Download Link

Aeon Nox SDTV Mod (Based on SVN .963)
Aeon Nox SDTV Mod (Based on v1.2 of official)

Screenshots

- dascmo - 2011-05-28

- ubuntuf4n - 2011-05-28

Nice work, could use that on my SD TFT.

Cheers

- dascmo - 2011-05-29

ubuntuf4n Wrote:Nice work, could use that on my SD TFT.

Cheers

Thanks but the real credit goes to Big_Noid. This mod is very minor in comparison to the work he has done. I'm no coder and don't claim to be. I stumble around the xml's until I get the results I want. Wink

- TomPiXX - 2011-05-29

Tried it and rocks!

Using it for my daughter's HTPC with an 16:9 CRT TV.
Thanks!

- dascmo - 2011-05-30

TomPiXX Wrote:Tried it and rocks!

Using it for my daughter's HTPC with an 16:9 CRT TV.
Thanks!

Glad to hear it's working well for you. Let me know if there is anything you think needs to be tweaked.

- TomPiXX - 2011-05-30

Fonts are really good readable.
I will play around with the skin for some days and report back. Smile

- Smobbo - 2011-06-02

Great to see you released your SD version Dascmo!
I've been using it on my old CRT screen for a while now and it is great Big Grin!
I'll be using it until i get my hands on a HD-TV Wink

If i find any issues i'll let you know!

- lowfi - 2011-06-02

So this is nox 1.2 with bigger fonts? Or are there more changes?

- dascmo - 2011-06-02

lowfi Wrote:So this is nox 1.2 with bigger fonts? Or are there more changes?

Yes, this is Aeon Nox 1.2 based on the stable dharma branch. There are a few minor changes beyond just the fonts

1. I added rightlist view.
2. I removed the date (not the time) on the home window as I felt with library stats and weather enabled on large libraries it took up too much space.
3. I removed the date from the universal time panel. (still shows date in the breadcrumbs)
4. Some of the info seen when pressing the i button while playing a video has been removed as the larger font made this area very crowded.
5. Fonts are completely different and have been enlarged. Unless you're running an SDTV or a really small flat panel I would suggest using the standard Aeon Nox.

- dascmo - 2011-06-02

Smobbo Wrote:Great to see you released your SD version Dascmo!
I've been using it on my old CRT screen for a while now and it is great Big Grin!
I'll be using it until i get my hands on a HD-TV Wink

If i find any issues i'll let you know!

Thanks and enjoy the HDTV when it arrives. I too will hopefully will have one by the end of the year. Smile

- lowfi - 2011-06-02

Hi thanks for your reply. I installed it for my bedroom tv (22" lcd). I found the text in showcase view a bit too big. i guess i should alter Font.xml?

- dascmo - 2011-06-03

lowfi Wrote:Hi thanks for your reply. I installed it for my bedroom tv (22" lcd). I found the text in showcase view a bit too big. i guess i should alter Font.xml?

Yes, thats the file to edit. Look for this entry...

[HTML]<font>
<name>Font_Info</name>
<filename>scoutblack.ttf</filename>
<size>20</size>
</font>[/HTML]

...and change the number to something smaller. I'd only change the number by one or two at a time as small changes can be more significant than you might think. After saving your changes you will need to switch skins and than back so XBMC can reload the xml.

Note that the "Font_Info" entry is used quite ofter throughout the skin so you may notice changes other places as well.

- anandus - 2011-08-06

Just popping in to say thanks!
On my 19"tv/monitor the text looks readable again! Smile

- dascmo - 2011-08-08

anandus Wrote:Just popping in to say thanks!
On my 19"tv/monitor the text looks readable again! Smile

I'm glad to hear it's working for you. If you see anything that you feel needs to be changed let me know.