Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Artist Slideshow addon (for skin integration) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow addon (for skin integration) (/showthread.php?tid=102703)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- Martijn - 2011-08-18

ronie Wrote:good question, don't know the answer though.
if it's now working then maybe path substitution is only used by xbmc itself
and is not applied to it's addons (just guessing).

would it help if i allowed you to specify a path in the addon settings?

It would be a solution. I know most of the addons do use custom path setup.
It would be better if it could use the path substition. Maybe someone of the team knows the answer to this? The less settings you have to do the better Wink
I first used symbolic links however i find the substitution is easer to use.
The strange thing if i use the file manager and go to "profile folder -> thumbnails" i do go to the remote path and don't see the slideshow cache.
Do you store the files to: special://profile/thumbnails
or use a more direct aproach?

- kardesken - 2011-08-18

ronie Wrote:the script failed to connect to last.fm
most likely a temporary issue on their end.

if you still get this error, then start blaming windows ;-)

Thanks for the feedback. I did manage to track down the problem to some blocking of internett access for xbmc.
So now it's up and running again.

- fional - 2011-08-20

Hi Smile

This is brilliant and I was showing it off on Friday Smile I did encounter two things in my tests, and while I'm away from my machine most the day, I can definitely recreate it and post a log if you think it be helpful. This will happen each and every time for me, so should be easy to recreate.

1. It will error immediately if I use the clearart downloading script prior to running music with no visualisation. So if I go to a TV Show, hit "I", go to get logo, select one of the logos and download it...then go to music, play the music in the way to get the script to run. The script will error with a "failed to load" style message and never restart again until I re-run XBMC.

2. If it goes to play music to an artist that isn't on Last.fm, such as the harpist and balladeer Kathleen Harrop, then the script will error. (One of two things happen in this instance, it'll be stuck on the last person playing OR it'll just go permanently black). When I stop playing the music, there will usually be an error on the bottom of the screen.

Cheers Smile

- ronie - 2011-08-20

fional Wrote:This is brilliant and I was showing it off on Friday Smile I did encounter two things in my tests, and while I'm away from my machine most the day, I can definitely recreate it and post a log if you think it be helpful.

most definitely :-)

if you could post a log for each of those, i'll have a peek.

- junkiepilot - 2011-08-21

Ok, I'm really struggling getting this to work on dharma with default confluence skin. I have installed the script from the repo, and made the changes mentioned in the first post to musicvisualization.xml in the 720p folder of skin.confluence in c:/program files/xbmc etc...

I cant find any settings anywhere to activate the artist slideshow.

- ronie - 2011-08-21

junkiepilot Wrote:Ok, I'm really struggling getting this to work on dharma with default confluence skin. I have installed the script from the repo, and made the changes mentioned in the first post to musicvisualization.xml in the 720p folder of skin.confluence in c:/program files/xbmc etc...

I cant find any settings anywhere to activate the artist slideshow.

there's no need to activate anything.
if you made the required changes, the script will run when opening the fullscreen visualization window.

- Martijn - 2011-08-21

Ronie
Any news on the location where the images are stored (post 91) or haven't you got around to that?

- ronie - 2011-08-21

Machine-Sanctum Wrote:Ronie
Any news on the location where the images are stored (post 91) or haven't you got around to that?

i don't mind adding an option to specify the path.

i won't be able to help you with your <pathsubstitution> issue,
might be worth creating a trac ticket for it.

- Martijn - 2011-08-21

ronie Wrote:i don't mind adding an option to specify the path.

i won't be able to help you with your <pathsubstitution> issue,
might be worth creating a trac ticket for it.

Cc you with ticket? Which subgroup must I create one?

Maybe the option is a good idea in general.
Would it be an option to store the fanfart along with the music files?
So create a sub folder inside the artist folder and maybe normal file names? Although hash names is no problem.
Just as one simple option to chose like "store along music files"

- ronie - 2011-08-21

Machine-Sanctum Wrote:Cc you with ticket? Which subgroup must I create one?

could be bug or feature request, pick one ;-)
feel free to cc me on the ticket.

Machine-Sanctum Wrote:Would it be an option to store the fanfart along with the music files?
So create a sub folder inside the artist folder and maybe normal file names? Although hash names is no problem.
Just as one simple option to chose like "store along music files"

nope, the script doesn't have the slightest clue where your music is stored.
and i seriously doubt there's an easy/reliable way to figure it out.

- ronie - 2011-08-21

ronie Wrote:i don't mind adding an option to specify the path.

i gave it a shot, but it's (not yet) possible on xbmc pre-eden.
you run into troubles if your custom path is a smb:// share.

i'll keep it in mind just in case xbmc / python / samba support improves in the future.

- kiboy6 - 2011-08-22

ronie Wrote:could be bug or feature request, pick one ;-)
feel free to cc me on the ticket.

nope, the script doesn't have the slightest clue where your music is stored.
and i seriously doubt there's an easy/reliable way to figure it out.

I agree that this would be the most elegant if it were possible.

Would it not be theoretically possible to for the user to input his music folder either via manually editing the script or via a skin option? Then the script could write images to a subfolder in each artist's folder much like the "extrafanart" function reads from the extrafanart folder within one artists folder if the artist name and folder name matches exactly.

In this case of folder name and artist name not matching up exactly, it wouldn't be the end of the world if a new folder was created with the alternative (last.fm's) spelling/syntax. (Ie. I might have a folder called Sly and Robbie - last.fm wants Sly & Robbie so puts the images in a new folder with that name instead. Not a big deal and can be easily tidied later.

There's probably a good reason why this is still impractical, but I figured it might be possible due to the way extrafanart for music works in some skins. Smile

- ronie - 2011-08-22

kiboy6 Wrote:I agree that this would be the most elegant if it were possible.

Would it not be theoretically possible to for the user to input his music folder either via manually editing the script or via a skin option? Then the script could write images to a subfolder in each artist's folder much like the "extrafanart" function reads from the extrafanart folder within one artists folder if the artist name and folder name matches exactly.

In this case of folder name and artist name not matching up exactly, it wouldn't be the end of the world if a new folder was created with the alternative (last.fm's) spelling/syntax. (Ie. I might have a folder called Sly and Robbie - last.fm wants Sly & Robbie so puts the images in a new folder with that name instead. Not a big deal and can be easily tidied later.

There's probably a good reason why this is still impractical, but I figured it might be possible due to the way extrafanart for music works in some skins. Smile

yeah i did the same in Transparency, but i don't like to put similars hacks in this script.

- Martijn - 2011-08-22

ronie Wrote:i gave it a shot, but it's (not yet) possible on xbmc pre-eden.
you run into troubles if your custom path is a smb:// share.

i'll keep it in mind just in case xbmc / python / samba support improves in the future.
I think it is possible. To my knowledge CDartmanager already supports SMB:// shares. Maybe check that code how it's done.

Quote:In this case of folder name and artist name not matching up exactly, it wouldn't be the end of the world if a new folder was created with the alternative (last.fm's) spelling/syntax. (Ie. I might have a folder called Sly and Robbie - last.fm wants Sly & Robbie so puts the images in a new folder with that name instead. Not a big deal and can be easily tidied later.
Also CDartmanager does this without any problems. It loads the artists from the database and puts in a extra sub-folder. If artists doesn't exist it's create a folder for that.
But take your time. Don't want to rush you

- ronie - 2011-08-22

Machine-Sanctum Wrote:I think it is possible.

to the best of my knowledge it's not. the script needs an equivalent of os.listdir that will work with smb:// shares on eden.

since xbmcvfs doesn't support it, there's nothing i can do to make it work