Kodi Community Forum
why hasn't anyone mentioned flirc? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: why hasn't anyone mentioned flirc? (/showthread.php?tid=103350)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

- toymachine2009 - 2011-08-26

For people who have purchased it in the past do you receive an email when it ships out? I ordered mine few weeks back and says it is shipping out today just wondering if I am going to receive an email when that happends.

- carpenike - 2011-08-30

Put in an order for one today. Looks like a great concept!

- Beer40oz - 2011-08-31

Got mine today! So sad it's not working with my DISH network remote Sad that is why I bought it....

Dish Network 21.0 IR UHF Pro TV2 DVR Learning Remote Control

http://www.amazon.com/Dish-Network-L.../dp/B0022DKLSE

I get my remote to DVD and the learn function on the remote and nothing happens...

I'll keep trying but some help will be appreciated...

I have tried another little remote I have laying around and it works! hopefully I can get my DISH remote to work with it!
I am using a Car Stereo Remote..... lol

- Beer40oz - 2011-08-31

Well after tears and sweat I can not make it function with my Dish Network 21.0 IR UHF Pro TV2 DVR Learning Remote Control........
(also my remote is set to UHF inside so I switched it to IR and it worked a little but no luck.... also I tried to do the learning operation on it by using a remote that works and see if it worked that way..... it did! but up to a point where only 2 buttons work.)

But if anyone is interested here are some remotes I tried and they do work.
Some you can not scroll fast.... you have to click it one by one to scroll.... but the rest do scroll fast just keep the button pressed down.

After looking at all the best one for me is my old remote from my car stereo it just does what it suppose to do.

I am very happy and some remotes have bad reception and some have great.... just to give people a heads up that its not Flirc's fault.

After further testing the Car Audio Remotes.... they are not so great. Say you press "I" to get the info of the movie it does but press it again to get out it won't... it does this with a couple of buttons.... but my OLD VCR remote and TV actually do work right..... hope this helps someone.....
Now I am using my Samsung TV remote set to DVD for use, has all the buttons I need - too bad I can't scroll fast with it doh!

WOW! After more playing around with my Samsung TV Remote NOW it can scroll fast!!!! I had to change it away from DVD either to STB, CABLE or VCR.... and they scroll fast.... weird that DVD don't.... this is great!

Cheers!

I have the Pioneer CD-R510 also.... it works !!! the thumb wheel is nice you press on it and it's ENTER..... and more buttons for your needs....

- eskro - 2011-08-31

Beer40oz Wrote:Got mine today! So sad it's not working with my DISH network remote Sad that is why I bought it....

wooaaaa,,,,
its advertised to work with any remote basically,,,
hmm,,,
thats weird,,,
maybe a firmware update could fix this??

thx

- jason - 2011-09-01

toymachine2009 Wrote:For people who have purchased it in the past do you receive an email when it ships out? I ordered mine few weeks back and says it is shipping out today just wondering if I am going to receive an email when that happends.

Yup, you should receive an email with shipment notification. Sorry for the delay to everyone, the last remaining are going out tomorrow.

- jason - 2011-09-01

Beer40oz Wrote:Well after tears and sweat I can not make it function with my Dish Network 21.0 IR UHF Pro TV2 DVR Learning Remote Control........
(also my remote is set to UHF inside so I switched it to IR and it worked a little but no luck.... also I tried to do the learning operation on it by using a remote that works and see if it worked that way..... it did! but up to a point where only 2 buttons work.)

But if anyone is interested here are some remotes I tried and they do work.
Some you can not scroll fast.... you have to click it one by one to scroll.... but the rest do scroll fast just keep the button pressed down.

After looking at all the best one for me is my old remote from my car stereo it just does what it suppose to do.

I am very happy and some remotes have bad reception and some have great.... just to give people a heads up that its not Flirc's fault.

After further testing the Car Audio Remotes.... they are not so great. Say you press "I" to get the info of the movie it does but press it again to get out it won't... it does this with a couple of buttons.... but my OLD VCR remote and TV actually do work right..... hope this helps someone.....
Now I am using my Samsung TV remote set to DVD for use, has all the buttons I need - too bad I can't scroll fast with it doh!

WOW! After more playing around with my Samsung TV Remote NOW it can scroll fast!!!! I had to change it away from DVD either to STB, CABLE or VCR.... and they scroll fast.... weird that DVD don't.... this is great!

Cheers!

I have the Pioneer CD-R510 also.... it works !!! the thumb wheel is nice you press on it and it's ENTER..... and more buttons for your needs....

Thanks so much for the extensive test.

The reason some don't work, or don't work as well, is because they are probably operating on a different frequency.

Yes, to the user who said, it should work with every remote, I agree, it should. But there are occasional remotes that don't operate at the 38kHz band, I can't do much about it.

I can play some tricks in the firmware, which I do, and have a couple hooks to dynamically change settings in v0.8

These will be user adjustable in the GUI, but that's not to say it's going to be your saving grace.

The Dish remote is on my to-do list to look at. Thanks again.

- vinistois - 2011-09-01

I have a case with a crapp built-in IR that I'm not happy with. This is an ideal replacement, as I have a harmony remote.

Questions...

1) will it wake the pc from standby, if the pc wakes from a standard usb keyboard

2) Can I extend the IR eye? (solder a small extension?)

3) Can you make it send json commands instead of keyboard?

4) Will it scroll fast with my harmony remote?

Thanks

- jason - 2011-09-01

vinistois Wrote:I have a case with a crapp built-in IR that I'm not happy with. This is an ideal replacement, as I have a harmony remote.

Questions...

1) will it wake the pc from standby, if the pc wakes from a standard usb keyboard

2) Can I extend the IR eye? (solder a small extension?)

3) Can you make it send json commands instead of keyboard?

4) Will it scroll fast with my harmony remote?

Thanks

1 - yes and no, it depends what level of standby. I've heard success from some users. Others, who put their computer in S3/S4 level standby, it doesn't work.
2 - You can just use a USB extension cable.
3 - Not yet.
4 - This all depends on your harmony remote. You have to set the inter-key delay to 0ms. The interkey delay is not adjustable on the cheeper models.

- Beer40oz - 2011-09-02

@ jasonkotzin

I have encountered a problem with my samsung remote. It happened twice.
I have set UP, Down, Left, right arrow keys to the corresponding buttons on the remote. Turned on the computer and ready to use flirc with xbmc and no response I had to take out the dongle and stick it back in and it worked but the UP key on the remote did not longer work so I had to go in and set it again...

I thought that all keys where saved to the dongle.... so why it did not work anymore?

Well another day and booted my computer and the dongle was not read. Had to manual take out and plug back in and it worked. I have it hooked up on the side of the computer. So what I tried is to plug it in on the back right to the motherboard. So I restarted the computer to see if it would pick it up and at did! So what could be the problem? It does not like to be on the side?

So almost everytime I boot up my computer the dongle is not there. It says device driver was not successfully installed. So I take out the dongle and stick it back in and its all good. Anyone?

- toymachine2009 - 2011-09-02

Just got my Flirc and programmed it in less than 5 min and its up and running perfectly with my TV remote! LOVE IT! Well worth $20 bucks and will prob order another and another! Thanks so much for this!

- carpenike - 2011-09-04

My Flirc arrived today as well. Took me around 10-20 minutes to get it programmed the way I wanted to. Works perfectly with my new DirecTV remote (RC65RX). Having issues with sleep / suspend but that appears to be the way my OS (OpenElec) or my mobo handles interraction with USB devices; if anything USB is plugged in then it will wake it self right back up.

I found using the full size keyboard easier to use than the pre-built XBMC menu that is provided with Flirc. Went through this list of keyboard commands and set what I wanted:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Global_Keyboard

Another question; any plans to support XBMC actions? (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keymap.xml#Actions)

- vinistois - 2011-09-04

you can just map the actions to keystrokes in your keymap.xml, and call them up via flirc.

- Vudu - 2011-09-06

Ok, installed and so far working very well with my TV remotes. This is just what I wanted to keep things simple. Downside is that the TV remote has limited buttons, but that is specific to the remote itself.

Now one question - is there a way to map a button to the standby function? There is some reference to it in this thread from Jason, but I don't actually see a way to do it in the setup GUI.

- matthew1975 - 2011-09-07

Awaiting the arrival of this. I am going to use a Charter remote. Do I to have to first a fake code on the aux input for a device then set up programing for this? Or will it accept any input buttons for the aux setting?