Kodi Community Forum
Headphones - Music albums & artists auto download program - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Headphones - Music albums & artists auto download program (/showthread.php?tid=103688)

Artist ID - oneadvent - 2012-01-02

I am having troubles with Headphones, I even deleted my library and had it rescan.

I am getting Artist ID: cc2c9c3c-b7bc-4b8b-84d8-4fbd8779e493 Loading
on a few of the lines.

What is going on there? Should I be doing something?

I can do a screenshot if needed.

- lpallard - 2012-01-02

Quote:I am having troubles with Headphones, I even deleted my library and had it rescan.

I am getting Artist ID: cc2c9c3c-b7bc-4b8b-84d8-4fbd8779e493 Loading
on a few of the lines.

What is going on there? Should I be doing something?

I can do a screenshot if needed.

Is it only saying that for a short period of time or it stays permanently like that?

So far I have found HP to be on the slow side when retrieving info from the web or processing downloads..

- oneadvent - 2012-01-02

Well initially they showed up out of no where, so that was weird.

They seem to stay a long time, I actually have let it go for 2 days and they are still there.

- lpallard - 2012-01-02

Quote:Well initially they showed up out of no where, so that was weird.

They seem to stay a long time, I actually have let it go for 2 days and they are still there.

what about logs?

- oneadvent - 2012-01-02

well literally all that is in my logs (via the interface):
2012-01-02 12:14:37 INFO Starting Headphones on port: 8181
2012-01-02 12:14:37 INFO Writing PID 1825 to /var/run/headphones/headphones.pid
2012-01-02 12:14:37 INFO Daemonized to PID: 1825
2012-01-02 12:14:37 INFO Checking to see if the database has all tables....

- lpallard - 2012-01-02

what does your log file says ?

Look under Advanced settings in the Log directory and cat the file to see anything in there..

Might be an error or something else that happened a while back. HP seems to "reset" the log int he interface every time you restart the service..

The log file on your HDD should have everything since you started using HP.

- oneadvent - 2012-01-02

01-Jan-2012 17:11:23 - INFO :: MainThread : Checking to see if the database has all tables....
01-Jan-2012 17:11:23 - DEBUG :: MainThread : Trying to execute: "git rev-parse HEAD" with shell in /opt/headphones
01-Jan-2012 17:11:23 - DEBUG :: MainThread : Git output: e8a476383bb3c545c0002481b224d2dd5b722e40

01-Jan-2012 17:11:24 - INFO :: MainThread : Headphones is already up-to-date.
01-Jan-2012 17:11:24 - DEBUG :: MainThread : Forking once...
01-Jan-2012 17:11:24 - DEBUG :: MainThread : Forking twice...
01-Jan-2012 17:11:24 - INFO :: MainThread : Daemonized to PID: 25923
01-Jan-2012 17:11:24 - INFO :: MainThread : Writing PID 25923 to /var/run/headphones/headphones.pid
01-Jan-2012 17:11:24 - INFO :: MainThread : Starting Headphones on port: 8181
01-Jan-2012 17:13:45 - INFO :: MainThread : Received signal: shutdown
01-Jan-2012 17:13:51 - INFO :: MainThread : Headphones is shutting down...
01-Jan-2012 17:13:51 - INFO :: MainThread : Removing pidfile /var/run/headphones/headphones.pid

That is the whole file

- lpallard - 2012-01-03

Not sure what is causing this.. Im not a developer but I dont see anything in the logs showing that it had problems to retrieve info from the database.. Wait and see what others are saying.

Shutdown HP, delete the DB, delete the log file (or empty it), restart the service and reimport your songs. Then post the log. It should say more than that..

- frieten - 2012-01-03

lpallard Wrote:OK after the cleanup of the last few days with MusicBrainz Picard, and trying the application (Headphones) I am in a better position to comment on the problems and bugs.

1-The application fails to retrieve some albums, especially compilations or "deluxe" albums. A good example is "Greatest hits... So Far!!!" from Pink. HP never retrieved the album, and reallocated the songs to different albums of the same artist. So I ended up with albums that had more songs than the album normally would contain, and worst, some songs took precedence over songs that should have been in the album at first.

snip

yeah mate you have done in pretty much exact order everything i wasted 3 days doing as well to find out the same info lol.

its EXTREMELY frustrating to go thru all that effort and find out it still wont scan the right albums, especially in regards to P!Nk.

i couldn't understand why there isn't an option in headphones to manually input the name of the artist we want it to find from musicbrainz with the musicbrainz ID.

i could have lived with all of the annoying crap because it imported everything from my last.fm account fine so it eventually got all the artists right, but then as you have found out headphones can't even handle its own stuff when downloading albums etc.

- wally101 - 2012-01-04

Just want to say a massive thank you for Headphones. Its dog handy. I cant imagine my HTPC running without it, aswell as sickbeard and couch potato (of course).

I only have it a few days but its been working flawlessly and I have nearly doubled my music library by using it

Keep up the good work

- oneadvent - 2012-01-05

Ok I haven't said anything in a few days cause I've been waiting for it to mess up, but so far so good.

- steve1977 - 2012-01-05

lpallard Wrote:2-Some artists are not identified at all... Again, HP added Pink as Mr. Pink (!?!? what??) The tags in the songs were all properly tagged by Picard and Picard detected the songs as from Pink, no doubt there.. Then I had to add Pink manually and HP detected the albums but not properly (see #1 above)..

From my perspective, this is the single most important bug. Artists like P!nk, Duran Duran and many others are not properly being identified (P!nk as Mr Pink; Duran Duran as Duran). This happens even if the artists are properly tagged with Picard/MB and entering the artist name in MB directly shows them as first hit. No idea whether this can be solved by HP or needs to be addressed by the musicbrainz API. I believe that once this is solved, things overall will improve and other bugs may be minor.

There is a bug report and many have identified this issue. I really hope that even more can pile on this one and maybe one of the devs can help fix this. Unfortunately, I don't bring any programming capabilities, but happy to help with bug reports, donations or whatever is helpful to the devs.

HP is such a fantastic tool, but this bug makes it very hard to use...

- FishOil - 2012-01-05

Is there any plans to support getting a single song/mp3 instead of the entire album?

- SleepyP - 2012-01-06

I would imagine probably not since most music distributed via the means HP uses (torrents and newsgroups) are optimized for whole albums / discographies.

Looks like the same stuff that was broken last time I checked is still broken. I haven't done any python development, but I have done development in C#, PHP, Java, as well Windows and BASH shell scripts. I also spent a few months developing and implementing a music tagging "schema", during which time I learned a lot about how MusicBrainz works. Even without MusicBrainz tags, the existing method for searching and then handling the results leaves a bit to be desired. I'll need to see how the data is handled, but I think it should be possible to take a given Artist Name, search that against MusicBrainz to get results, and then semi-intelligently look at those results. If the search results are in an array, I think we should search that array for a string match against the Artist Name. This shouldn't be necessary, but testing against a large dataset has shown that the search facilities are a bit less than awesome sometimes.

For an example of a problem band from my music library, lets take the band Dope. That's what the band is called.
A search against MusicBrainz gives you this:
http://musicbrainz.org/search?query=dope&type=artist
The first returned result (with a score of 100?? REALLY?) is "D.O.P.E.". The second is Dope, the actual band in question. My proposed method would correctly choose the second result over the first. I will need to look into it, but I've already got a GitHub account and stuff, so maybe I can hack something together.

I will need to look at the code to see how understandable it is, but doing a narrow-case modification like this to an existing application, especially a scripty one, shouldn't be TOO terribly hard I hope. If I can, I'd like to fork it, get this feature working, and then contribute it back to the master branch.

Between SABNzbd, SickBeard, CouchPotato, and the others, my video stuff is pretty much covered. I wrote my own podcast solution. Really, music like this is the "last" thing I need to get under control before I'll be living the "full automation" dream Tongue

For nerds who are interested, here's the project's activity network on Github:
https://github.com/rembo10/headphones/network
As you can see, lots of forks open, a few people actively contributed back to the main branch. Looks like Rembo10 (the original author) has been working more on issue tracking and stuff than coding lately, but I could be mis-interpreting GitHub's interface.

- steve1977 - 2012-01-06

First of all, thanks a ton for looking into this. Agree that music is last missing piece, which is uncovered. Would be fantastic if you can help to close this gap.

SleepyP Wrote:Even without MusicBrainz tags, the existing method for searching and then handling the results leaves a bit to be desired. I'll need to see how the data is handled, but I think it should be possible to take a given Artist Name, search that against MusicBrainz to get results, and then semi-intelligently look at those results. If the search results are in an array, I think we should search that array for a string match against the Artist Name. This shouldn't be necessary, but testing against a large dataset has shown that the search facilities are a bit less than awesome sometimes.

You are bringing up a complex case. Mine is easier. Looking up P!nk gives me the right match in MB, but with exactly the same speeling results in the wrong one in HP:

http://musicbrainz.org/search?query=P%21nk&type=artist

SleepyP Wrote:I will need to look at the code to see how understandable it is, but doing a narrow-case modification like this to an existing application, especially a scripty one, shouldn't be TOO terribly hard I hope. If I can, I'd like to fork it, get this feature working, and then contribute it back to the master branch.

Thanks a ton!!! Let me know if I can help with testing or otherwise.