Kodi Community Forum
[Mini-ITX] Pentium-G620 (2x2.6Ghz) + GT210 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: [Mini-ITX] Pentium-G620 (2x2.6Ghz) + GT210 (/showthread.php?tid=105816)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- wickchucker - 2011-09-21

voochi Wrote:If perfect 24p playback is not important, is the Nvidia GPU still necessary?

Does the G620 and IGP have enough grunt for either software or hardware decoding in Linux and/or Windows?

I know that technically they should (because I have been playing 1080p H264 for many years on lesser hardware) but is there some issue with drivers or the inefficiency of XBMC?

I have the g620T, lower profile, scaled back cpu, running the same HD2000 intel GPU, and I recommend using a nightly XBMC build compiled after August 20th, 2011. If you do that, you can turn on DXVA2, then 1080p plays easily. No dxva, high bitrate 1080p mkvs stuttered for me. This thread has a ton of details on using the intel graphics with XBMC, hence why the op suggested a separate nvidia card in his build. I personally don;t see the 24p bug, but dxva enabled made a huge difference when I switched from Dharma to the nightlies last month.

- cfg9000 - 2011-09-21

Just ordered this exact build to replace my ATV2. I can't wait. External applications! Skins that actually work! No more crashes! POWER!

- voochi - 2011-09-21

wickchucker Wrote:I have the g620T, lower profile, scaled back cpu, running the same HD2000 intel GPU, and I recommend using a nightly XBMC build compiled after August 20th, 2011. If you do that, you can turn on DXVA2, then 1080p plays easily. No dxva, high bitrate 1080p mkvs stuttered for me. This thread has a ton of details on using the intel graphics with XBMC, hence why the op suggested a separate nvidia card in his build. I personally don;t see the 24p bug, but dxva enabled made a huge difference when I switched from Dharma to the nightlies last month.

Thanks that's great news since I have to build a HTPC for a gift this XMAS and was thinking of H67+G620. The case I was looking at doesnt have room for a GPU. 24p playback isn't important because I don't think their TV supports it.

- Balinus - 2011-09-21

eskro Wrote:Linux will always be Linux Tongue

Sure, but while you'll spend thousand of dollar by the end of your life on Windows, Linux users will use this money on what matter most : computer parts.

Albeit I'll admit that Linux users won't be able to use these parts....without Windows Shocked Sounds like a catch-22.

- eskro - 2011-09-21

Balinus Wrote:Sure, but while you'll spend thousand of dollar by the end of your life on Windows

thousands o.O where!?

- Balinus - 2011-09-21

eskro Wrote:thousands o.O where!?

hehehe, On Windows license! Smile Let's see : 1 Windows license each 3 yr at 100$. After 30 yr, you achieve 1000$, for a single computer. If you have 3 computers, it takes 10 yrs!

Anyway, I just wanted to make some humour. :-)

- eskro - 2011-09-21

i've been lucky so far to not pay for any windows license
since they are given to me by family members

- Balinus - 2011-09-21

oh! Lucky you then! Laugh

- Beer40oz - 2011-09-22

eskro Wrote:i've been lucky so far to not pay for any windows license
since they are given to me by family members

LOL wish we where all lucky like that! Nod Big Grin Rofl

- eskro - 2011-09-22

Beer40oz Wrote:LOL wish we where all lucky like that! Nod Big Grin Rofl

im sure your lucky too Big Grin

- cfg9000 - 2011-09-23

Note to potential buyers: DO NOT BUY THE CASE LISTED IN THIS BUILD.

I've seen it recommended here a lot, and picked it up based on those recommendations. Do not buy it. Yes, it's cheap. But it's also garbage.

The rear motherboard bezel barely fits, the PSU droops because the bracket is inadequate. The latches on the front door barely work. There is not a single part of the chassis that isn't slightly bent.

Do yourselves a favor, and spend a few more dollars on something nice. I should've.

- eskro - 2011-09-23

yes its rather cheap but hey, many use it, many like it for the price,,,

- gdallas - 2011-09-23

cfg9000 Wrote:Note to potential buyers: DO NOT BUY THE CASE LISTED IN THIS BUILD.

I've seen it recommended here a lot, and picked it up based on those recommendations. Do not buy it. Yes, it's cheap. But it's also garbage.

The rear motherboard bezel barely fits, the PSU droops because the bracket is inadequate. The latches on the front door barely work. There is not a single part of the chassis that isn't slightly bent.

Do yourselves a favor, and spend a few more dollars on something nice. I should've.

I just bought everything from Amazon (free 2 day shipping) as spec'd here (except a GT430 instead of 210), including the case. It all worked fine for me, although things are a bit tight. The only 'cheap' part I really notice is the door covering the front audio/usb. When I click it open the hinge on the bottom pops out of place. I can live with it.

I went with a Seagate Momentum XT hybrid SSD 500GB drive and 4GB RAM. Pretty snappy response times for boot and still gives me the option of locally loading some content. (I have kids.. take it on the road with kid movies in the car)

Thanks for the build writeup Eskro! You made my life extremely easy and it's all working perfectly so far with Windows 7, XBMC 10.1, and EventGhost Smile

- eskro - 2011-09-24

no prob gdallas!!!

- rbrohman - 2011-09-24

cfg9000 Wrote:Note to potential buyers: DO NOT BUY THE CASE LISTED IN THIS BUILD.

I've been using this case for almost a year now. It doesn't have the greatest build quality, but for $50 with power supply, I've been quite happy with it.