Kodi Community Forum
[MAC] New Thunderbolt Mac Mini! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: [MAC] New Thunderbolt Mac Mini! (/showthread.php?tid=105915)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

I think it does.... - ashand - 2011-09-04

dlmh Wrote:But the 2010 model won't allow for bit streaming HD audio formats Wink

I read somewhere that the Gforce chip support it but the OSX SW is not , So I was wondering that if someone tried to install W7 on a VM or on a new partition and tried to have a full bit stream...

- voip-ninja - 2011-09-04

ashand Wrote:I read somewhere that the Gforce chip support it but the OSX SW is not , So I was wondering that if someone tried to install W7 on a VM or on a new partition and tried to have a full bit stream...

It won't work with VM but people have already proven that with boot camp and windows 7 that hd audio bitstream is working. So this is a driver shortcoming in OS X. However, seeing that it's been this way for quite some time it does not appear it will be fixed anytime soon. Do they even support audio over HDMI yet? That would be a pre-requisite to getting bitstream support since it cannot be passed over optical.

- voip-ninja - 2011-09-04

darietto84 Wrote:I encountered this problem Stare
So, is there no solution for this problem?
I'm very angry for this and I think to buy the mac mini with ati gpu because I can't live with this problem.

No it is a hardware shortcoming, the only fix is to use a different video card.

- Ned Scott - 2011-09-04

bombart Wrote:Hey Ned,

I actually have the older generation mac mini (1.6Core 2 Duo) with the CrystalHD card in it and it runs really well for the most part. However, it wasn't trivial to set it up properly and upgrades to newer versions are always very troublesome. (TMI, I know).

I just figured that I needed a version that has a good video card. I wanted the newest one so I don't have to worry about bitrates and resolutions and the such for a few years.

I will try looking for an older one (prev. gen). Thank you for your advice.

Cheers.

Ah, I see. The newer minis did get a really nice performance jump in this last revision, but for an HTPC you probably would be better off with last year's model since the 2011 version lacks an optical drive.

24hrz, 30 hrz, 60 hrz (NTSC) - santosmarco - 2011-09-04

I have two new Mac Mini 2011, entry level i7 AMD 8GB with 720GB HD and Server quad i7 8GB with 2x500GB. I dedicated the entry level for HTCP, I solved all my problems using different refresh rate compatible with my MKV videos, no drops, working smoothly with hardware accellaration, low CPU demand and also low temperatures in the CPU. I am more than happy with my two mac minis, the server works as NAS with 2 3TB disks and the entry level host XBMC for more two ATV2 and playing nicely all my 800 HD videos (H.264). Nowadays I using XBMC 10.1 stable version, I would like to know if there is any advantage to take a nightly version? any suggestion on this?

- bombart - 2011-09-05

Ned Scott Wrote:Ah, I see. The newer minis did get a really nice performance jump in this last revision, but for an HTPC you probably would be better off with last year's model since the 2011 version lacks an optical drive.

Thanks Ned. I'm a little less concerned about the lack of optical drive as I've gone fully digital on the viewing end. I have a BluRay drive attached to a desktop PC for ripping BluRays, DVDs and CD and I just share them out to my other machines.

Having said that, what's the best place to get the older gen mac mini? I was just thinking of using kijiji.

Cheers.

Update: I bought the 2011 mac mini with the AMD video card. So far, my 1080p videos run beautifully with somewhere between 15% to 20% cpu usage(for the most part, depending on the movie and the scene). Very happy!

- Heilage - 2011-09-05

I'm thinking about going for one of these Minis for a combined media server and media player. The lack of optical drive is of no concern to me, as I have a dedicated Blu-Ray and DVD player to take care of all of that.

For a standard setup, is there anything I should know about? I read something about a bug causing the audio to disappear?

- bombart - 2011-09-09

dlmh Wrote:...

The only reason you'd want the AMD model is that the Intel HD Graphics still suffer from the same 24p bug that plagued the previous iterations. This bug causes 24P material (recorded at 23.976Hz) to be played back at 24.00 Hz, causing a small stutter every 40 seconds or so, while it should be played back at exactly 23.976Hz.

Every AMD and nVidia graphics chip from at least the last 5 years has been able to this correctly.

So, I bought the 2011 AMD mac mini (default config) and installed Dharma. Everything looks good for the most part on HD content. On SD content, something looks odd... it looks like it's skipping a frame cause there's a break in continuity and fluidity, but no frames are being dropped. Is it possible that my setup is not playing back the content at exactly 23.976Hz like you describe above even though I have the AMD VC? When I have "O" display stats, it's fluctuating somewhere between 23.9 and 24Hz. Is this normal? I don't notice this behaviour on HD content.

Cheers

- voip-ninja - 2011-09-13

bombart Wrote:So, I bought the 2011 AMD mac mini (default config) and installed Dharma. Everything looks good for the most part on HD content. On SD content, something looks odd... it looks like it's skipping a frame cause there's a break in continuity and fluidity, but no frames are being dropped. Is it possible that my setup is not playing back the content at exactly 23.976Hz like you describe above even though I have the AMD VC? When I have "O" display stats, it's fluctuating somewhere between 23.9 and 24Hz. Is this normal? I don't notice this behaviour on HD content.

Cheers

SD Content should be at either a solid 30 FPS for NTSC content, which should not run into the above bug. However, it's possible that a setting in XBMC is causing this, or there is a driver bug that is doing it.

- AbMagFab - 2011-09-13

Is there any way to get true native refresh rates on the Mac mini? I set XBMC to do that, but it just sticks to 1080p/60.

- voip-ninja - 2011-09-13

AbMagFab Wrote:Is there any way to get true native refresh rates on the Mac mini? I set XBMC to do that, but it just sticks to 1080p/60.

XBMC on Mac cannot dynamically change the refresh rate based on the content being played. You either have to go in manually and change it from 1080p/60 to 1080p/24 or you just have to let it pump everything out at one specific refresh rate.

You should look at the giant thread that involves the requested support for this, which won't be coming for a while yet.

- bombart - 2011-09-17

voip-ninja Wrote:XBMC on Mac cannot dynamically change the refresh rate based on the content being played. You either have to go in manually and change it from 1080p/60 to 1080p/24 or you just have to let it pump everything out at one specific refresh rate.

You should look at the giant thread that involves the requested support for this, which won't be coming for a while yet.

I just recently made the switch from XBMC on windows to XBMC on MAC and I did not know this.
Curious... when I set XBMC to change the refresh rate to match the video and enable debugging, the refresh rate switches from 60Hz just before playing the video to 24Hz when playing the video. Is this inaccurate?

- voip-ninja - 2011-09-17

bombart Wrote:I just recently made the switch from XBMC on windows to XBMC on MAC and I did not know this.
Curious... when I set XBMC to change the refresh rate to match the video and enable debugging, the refresh rate switches from 60Hz just before playing the video to 24Hz when playing the video. Is this inaccurate?

I can't say for sure, as I have Mac on XBMC but don't use it in a HTPC environment at the moment. I just know the feature has been requested forever and has been one of several things (HD audio support being foremost) that has prevented me from getting a Mac Mini for my home theater to run XBMC on.

- phrehdd - 2011-09-17

voip-ninja Wrote:I can't say for sure, as I have Mac on XBMC but don't use it in a HTPC environment at the moment. I just know the feature has been requested forever and has been one of several things (HD audio support being foremost) that has prevented me from getting a Mac Mini for my home theater to run XBMC on.

It is rather curious - XBMC and similar use a db for collecting other information about a given media file such as a poster image, text on plot and actors etc. It sure seems that this db can be used to store "preferred" playback which could include typical frame rates 23.x, 24, 59x, 60 and so on. This doesn't have to be just a MAC feature but incorporated for all OS versions. I think it might be a most excellent way to define playback - frame rate, preferred audio, subtitle and so forth. Of course one should also be able to manually over ride. A scan of files might list which ones are "24p" and one could set play 24p for all etc. Lots of options and unsure why this has been overlooked. Stuffing values into command line is nothing new. Just my two cents in agreement with many and a suggestion how to do it.

- davilla - 2011-09-18

"lots of options", and that's the problem. you present too many option to novices and they get confused and move on to something else. Our GUI is already filled with too many confusing options.

Most users just want to play their content and not spend time tweaking it. I know the WAF would plummet if hubby spent 5-10 mins before each showing, tweaking it.