Kodi Community Forum
[MAC] New Thunderbolt Mac Mini! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: [MAC] New Thunderbolt Mac Mini! (/showthread.php?tid=105915)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- dlmh - 2011-08-03

Trojita Wrote:Which means XBMC using MPC-HC + MADVR + LAV should work.

Huzzah!

Thanks man. I wonder why DSplayer is borked though.

Anyone know whether the IR port on the Mac Mini is recognized and usable on windows?

The problem was that video juddered like crazy, and the HD Audio light on my receiver was flickering like a madman Eek

I really couldn't fix this problem, until I noticed that it took up to 30 seconds before a movie would start, and that file transfers from my server were really, REALLY slow. I downloaded the latest driver for the Broadcom NetXtreme from their website, and all was good Big Grin

About the IR-port: it's recognized in Windows (shows up in Device Manager), but I haven't tested it yet...

- resai - 2011-08-03

great news!!
what about 3d mkv files? or 3d blu-ray?

- dlmh - 2011-08-03

resai Wrote:great news!!
what about 3d mkv files? or 3d blu-ray?

I do not own a 3D-TV, unless there's something else I could test it with?

Blocking artifacts with HW decoding on HD3000 - morberg - 2011-08-05

(Not sure if this belongs here or if I should start a new thread specific to the low end Mac Mini.)

I got the low end 2011 Mac Mini with the integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics and am now using it as my HTPC with the 10.1 release of XBMC. So far I have only encountered one issue:

When using HW accelerated decoding I experience significant blocking on both 720p and 1080p material connected with HDMI to a 720p Samsung plasma TV. When I first set up the machine I used a 1600x1200 Dell display connected with HDMI->DVI and I saw no blocking issues at all on the exact same content.

If I have some time during the weekend I'll hook up the Dell display again to double check that HW acceleration was in fact turned on.

Decoding both 720p and 1080p material without HW acceleration seems to work fine after the first hours of use. I have not experienced any issues with sound not working as have been reported in other places; all in all I'm quite happy with the mini save for not being able to use HW acceleration.

- sonicblue83 - 2011-08-15

I'm thinking about changing my 2009 C2D 2Ghz Mac Mini for a 2011 dual core i7 Mini.

Could one of you guys with a dual core i7 Mac Mini check how much is the CPU usage for 1080p movies with a bitrate of 20-30mb/s when hardware acceleration is deactivated?

- human - 2011-08-15

morberg Wrote:(Not sure if this belongs here or if I should start a new thread specific to the low end Mac Mini.)

I got the low end 2011 Mac Mini with the integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics and am now using it as my HTPC with the 10.1 release of XBMC. So far I have only encountered one issue:

Have you had audio issues when AC3, etc are enabled? I'm finding I'll watch a 720p video with some type of audio (havent figured out all the specifics).. and it'll just be white noise.

After that, xbmc will no longer play any audio and say it failed.. have to reboot the mini to resolve. This is using a 2011 mac mini with intel as well.

This was similar to the issues I was having with the ATV2 jail broken, which I got rid of because it was just too much of a PITA compared to a mini.

- dlmh - 2011-08-16

sonicblue83 Wrote:I'm thinking about changing my 2009 C2D 2Ghz Mac Mini for a 2011 dual core i7 Mini.

Could one of you guys with a dual core i7 Mac Mini check how much is the CPU usage for 1080p movies with a bitrate of 20-30mb/s when hardware acceleration is deactivated?

I have the i5 and it's between 25-35% for BluRay rips and 1080p re-encodes.

- sonicblue83 - 2011-08-16

@dlmh

Is that with hardware acceleration on or off? How high are the bitrates of the movies you tried?

- dlmh - 2011-08-16

sonicblue83 Wrote:@dlmh

Is that with hardware acceleration on or off? How high are the bitrates of the movies you tried?

Off.

The 1080p re-encode was about 12 MBit, the BluRay rip was a 28GB .m2ts file, not sure what bitrate (certainly quite high considering the file size).

If I turn on HWA, utilization is about 2-10%.

- sonicblue83 - 2011-08-16

Wow that is great news! Thank you a lot!

- Igorth - 2011-08-17

My 2011 Mac Mini (base model) can't handle 1080p encodes without Hardware Acceleration (i5 2.3Ghz) and I suffer strange stuttering on all my movies with it enabled, suddenly video freezes for a second and then resumes fast to syncro again with audio, it doesn't count this as dropped frames as they aren't dropped, just played fast to recover the fps of the movie.

I have proved to off sync, turn it audio clock, resample, all settings give occasional stutter without reason (20% cpu usage with HW on).

EDIT: Checked, my Mini starts droping frames without HW acceleration at 30MB/s, it struggles so much too when subtitles comes up after some time without them, even on 720p scene encodes (really low bitrates there).

- kim1406 - 2011-08-19

Igorth Wrote:My 2011 Mac Mini (base model) can't handle 1080p encodes without Hardware Acceleration (i5 2.3Ghz) and I suffer strange stuttering on all my movies with it enabled, suddenly video freezes for a second and then resumes fast to syncro again with audio, it doesn't count this as dropped frames as they aren't dropped, just played fast to recover the fps of the movie.

I have proved to off sync, turn it audio clock, resample, all settings give occasional stutter without reason (20% cpu usage with HW on).

EDIT: Checked, my Mini starts droping frames without HW acceleration at 30MB/s, it struggles so much too when subtitles comes up after some time without them, even on 720p scene encodes (really low bitrates there).

I've just ordered the same system as yours, the base Mac mini, plus an extra 8GB RAM. I hope XBMC will work better on that.

- idioteque - 2011-08-19

kim1406 Wrote:I've just ordered the same system as yours, the base Mac mini, plus an extra 8GB RAM. I hope XBMC will work better on that.

8GB lol

my mac mini 2010 with 2GB and an Nvidia 9500 runs every 1080p file flawless. Even 30Mbit mkv's

8GB is overkill

- kim1406 - 2011-08-21

idioteque Wrote:8GB lol

my mac mini 2010 with 2GB and an Nvidia 9500 runs every 1080p file flawless. Even 30Mbit mkv's

8GB is overkill

But what about the 2011 model with Intel HD Graphics 3000, does it do hardware acceleration?

- Bitwize360 - 2011-08-21

kim1406 Wrote:But what about the 2011 model with Intel HD Graphics 3000, does it do hardware acceleration?

Of course it does (for h264). Without it, my large 1080p MKVs stutter/drop frames like mad. Hopefully this will be "fixed" as the new mini should easily play 1080p without hardware acceleration enabled.