Kodi Community Forum
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? (/showthread.php?tid=106051)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

- jpsdr - 2011-12-23

Apparently, multi-threading doesn't seem to work.
I've tested a 1080p 10bit file with a relatively high bitrate, and with XBMC video stutter (noticeably enough) and has drop frames, and with MPC-HC video plays fine (on i7@870).
It's just to state the fact, not to critic the hard work done to achieve adding 10bit support on XBMC.

- s1l3nc0r - 2011-12-26

First of all, I woud like to thank bambi73 for compiling this XBMC version which allows us to play 10bits mkv's.

I was having problems playing files like this one: [Commie]_Shakugan_no_Shana_III_-_12 , but those problems are gone now.
I do have one small problem I encounter:

While playing Claymore 1080P episode one, I noticed the first audio track, containing AAc 5.1 audio, it didn't produce any sound. Switching to the second audio track, containing AAc 2.0 audio, it does produce sound.

Seems like AAC 5.1 is broken.

- Yappa - 2011-12-27

Post a sample file or a link and I'll give it a try myself.

- zyro - 2011-12-27

Hello all,

I see there's a lot of love here for 10-bit playback in XBMC under Windows and I've been keeping an eye on this thread hoping to get tips for Linux. Not much luck yet (unless that discussion has moved to a different thread and I've missed it) so I ventured out and tried to do it myself.

With the help of various blog posts and similar resources I've managed to compile latest FFmpeg and XBMC and test that it runs cleanly on my system (Ubuntu 11.10). FFmpeg compiled with VDPAU support and XBMC plays back both 8-bit and 10-bit with no issues. Haven't tested ordered chapters yet.

I very much doubt it's perfect and I've probably dumped a load of unnecessary libraries on my drive but it works so far. I've put all of this in a script that will fetch libraries/clone the latest git repos, build and install everything, if any other Linux users want it?

- Ned Scott - 2011-12-27

zyro Wrote:Hello all,

I see there's a lot of love here for 10-bit playback in XBMC under Windows and I've been keeping an eye on this thread hoping to get tips for Linux. Not much luck yet (unless that discussion has moved to a different thread and I've missed it) so I ventured out and tried to do it myself.

With the help of various blog posts and similar resources I've managed to compile latest FFmpeg and XBMC and test that it runs cleanly on my system (Ubuntu 11.10). FFmpeg compiled with VDPAU support and XBMC plays back both 8-bit and 10-bit with no issues. Haven't tested ordered chapters yet.

I very much doubt it's perfect and I've probably dumped a load of unnecessary libraries on my drive but it works so far. I've put all of this in a script that will fetch libraries/clone the latest git repos, build and install everything, if any other Linux users want it?

Very much YES :D

I'll add it to the wiki page for Hi10P playback, as well as a general example for linux installs with external FFmpeg.

- zyro - 2011-12-27

Here it is: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GMNQEVDW

Tested on Ubuntu 11.10. Also if you have an existing version of XBMC it should be replaced but the configuration will be preserved (no promises but it was for me.)

According to the release doc in the FFmpeg pulled, the build I tested is against v0.9.0.git if anyone is wondering about the features available. XBMC should pull whatever is being built for nightly snapshots.

Feel free to experiment with the script of course. I've cleaned it up for readability since I last ran it so let me know if any errors have sneaked in. I'm not an expert on this build system but I'll try to help if anyone runs into issues.

- s1l3nc0r - 2011-12-27

About them Claymore mkv's not having audio: Here's a link to the nzb (retention is 470 days). LINK DELETED.

I am using the latest release that was posted (XBMCSetup-20111208-6094fbb-dx.exe)

- TREX6662k5 - 2011-12-28

I compiled and built mine last night on a 10.04 VM. Created .debs for ffmpeg 0.8.8 & xbmc.git and installed it on my HTPC. Didn't bother trying with 0.9.0 as I believed the API changes would break XBMC. 0.8.8 works great however when your gonna watch a Hi10P video you need to manually disable VDPAU as it will try to HW accelerate it and fail.

Edit:
Cool, built ffmpeg from git and it works fine. Still need to manually disable VDPAU but I can live with that.

- garretn - 2011-12-28

TREX6662k5 Wrote:I compiled and built mine last night on a 10.04 VM. Created .debs for ffmpeg 0.8.8 & xbmc.git and installed it on my HTPC. Didn't bother trying with 0.9.0 as I believed the API changes would break XBMC. 0.8.8 works great however when your gonna watch a Hi10P video you need to manually disable VDPAU as it will try to HW accelerate it and fail.

Edit:
Cool, built ffmpeg from git and it works fine. Still need to manually disable VDPAU but I can live with that.

XBMC actually includes code to use the updated API if its not using the internal FFMPEG. I tried this last night with the latest 0.9 and it worked fine, as long as you disable VDPAU of course.

- TREX6662k5 - 2011-12-28

Yep, I run on an Atom D330 ION and 720p Hi10P plays stutter free using the bilinear scaler and post processing. 1080 is no go.
This doesn't help either http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91230 now that my CPU is busy screaming.

Currently looking in to upgrading to a low power i5 Sandy Bridge CPU.

Post Processing doesn't look good though on software decoded files. It introduces blurring for both 8Bit and 10Bit files. Its fine with VDPAU on 8Bit files though. Any one else have problems with it? Maybe one of my ffmpeg configure flag is causing this...

Update:
I applied the same post processing chain to Mplayer on my desktop and its the same. The chain is much more subtle when VDPAU is enabled (Assuming the same post processing is applied). Guess now I know what this guy was talking about 258 (PR). Very aggressive.

Update2: nvm, I really should only be applying post processing when watching MPEG4 videos as H.264 already does deblocking as part of the decoding process. MPEG4 videos still look good.

- Yappa - 2011-12-28

s1l3nc0r Wrote:About them Claymore mkv's not having audio: Here's a link to the nzb (retention is 470 days) LINK DELETED.
I am using the latest release that was posted (XBMCSetup-20111208-6094fbb-dx.exe)

I don't use newsgroups, so no idea how to get said files. Maybe you could upload a sample on some file hosting service.

- alexrose1uk - 2011-12-29

For Windows users:
DSPlayer is back in development!!

Tiben, the main coder, has already managed to resolve some of the subtitle crashes which had been causing issues. It seems with LAV splitter and filters, the old bug I mentioned whereby you couldn't change audio track is also resolved.

Whilst not perfect, I think this is worth a headsup as it means that once again there is another option for 10bit playback on Windows XBMC. DSPlayer almost seamlessly fits in with the standard build once you've changed a few options, rather than acting as an external player.

I have updated my guide on how to set this up, to incorporate some of these updates, bug fixes, and make clearer a step and point or two I skipped due to overfamiliarity which could potentially resolve overtly blocky video on initial setup, and other file types not playing properly Smile
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=910228&postcount=108

- Yappa - 2011-12-29

What are the benefits, considering bambi73's solution is working just fine with no subtitles problems?

With DSPlayer I need to install additional stuff which somehow disturbed my normal codec setup on my computer, when I tried it the last time, but of course, if it's worth it, I am willing to give it another try.

- darknet - 2011-12-29

alexrose1uk Wrote:For Windows users:
DSPlayer is back in development!!

Tiben, the main coder, has already managed to resolve some of the subtitle crashes which had been causing issues. It seems with LAV splitter and filters, the old bug I mentioned whereby you couldn't change audio track is also resolved.

Whilst not perfect, I think this is worth a headsup as it means that once again there is another option for 10bit playback on Windows XBMC. DSPlayer almost seamlessly fits in with the standard build once you've changed a few options, rather than acting as an external player.

I have updated my guide on how to set this up, to incorporate some of these updates, bug fixes, and make clearer a step and point or two I skipped due to overfamiliarity which could potentially resolve overtly blocky video on initial setup, and other file types not playing properly Smile
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=910228&postcount=108

Hi alexrose1uk

I follow your guide but when play a movie the screen just flicker and nothing play. Is there anything else I need? I really wants to try out this DSplayer. Thanks

- maruchan - 2011-12-30

darknet Wrote:Hi alexrose1uk

I follow your guide but when play a movie the screen just flicker and nothing play. Is there anything else I need? I really wants to try out this DSplayer. Thanks

Make sure FFDShow is installed on your computer.