Kodi Community Forum
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? (/showthread.php?tid=106051)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? - DJ_Izumi - 2012-06-12

Yeah, I imagine an i3 would readily trump an E-350, no contest. But really, that's most like desktop hardware which is agreed not to have any real issue decoding 10bit 1080p just using the CPU. It's the little Netbook/Nettop machines that are suffering problems.

RE: 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? - s1l3nc0r - 2012-06-13

@DJ_Izumi: what codecs do you have installed ?

RE: 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? - DJ_Izumi - 2012-06-13

(2012-06-13, 13:06)s1l3nc0r Wrote: @DJ_Izumi: what codecs do you have installed ?

Why would that matter? XBMC's codecs are all built into XBMC, all codecs installed into the operating system are irrelevent to XBMC.

RE: 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? - DJ_Izumi - 2012-06-16

Can someone clarify if video decoding for 10bit in V12 Alpha 2 working on multiple cores? Because I'm decoding 1080p 10bit material on v12 Alpha 2 and getting some frame drops when the CPU hits around 33%. Considdering I'm using an A6-3500, tricore at 2,1ghz, that'd suggest I'm hitting the wall with only one core for video...

RE: 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? - jpsdr - 2012-06-17

Actualy mt is only enable for slice in ffmpeg, wich is a very specific case. All mkv files are not encoded with slices, so no mt actualy on them.

RE: 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? - DJ_Izumi - 2012-06-17

(2012-06-17, 11:55)jpsdr Wrote: Actualy mt is only enable for slice in ffmpeg, wich is a very specific case. All mkv files are not encoded with slices, so no mt actualy on them.

This'll be fixed, like, later... Right?

RE: 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? - jpsdr - 2012-06-18

It's what it has been said...
Actualy, i'm using my own build with mt re-enabled.

RE: 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? - Drymex - 2012-07-02

@jpsdr: is there a tutorial on how to build an mt-enabled ffmpeg that works with XBMC?

RE: 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? - blm14 - 2012-07-03

^ seconded. Do want!

RE: 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? - maruchan - 2012-07-04

There are some things that are currently broken in the latest nightlies (notably, saving video calibration settings.) If they get fixed in time for the release cycle coming up, I can put out an updated Windows build that has multithreading enabled. I'm not sure if I'll be able to provide builds for other platforms.

RE: - blugh - 2012-07-04

(Replying to an older post, since this is an even bigger problem today than it was in October...)

(2011-10-01, 01:39)Ned Scott Wrote:
Quote:Note that also none of the available hardware accelerated decoders (VDPAU, DXVA,
CUVID, etc.) support this.

Oh for fuck's sake. This won't last long. They'll either get waves of bitching and eventually buckle, or a ripping group will do a proper encode with those groups' subs included.

This is foolish. The *only* stuff using 10-bit is anime, and today, almost no fansubbed anime is available except in 10-bit. There are no "waves of bitching"; anime is a tiny niche for hardware manufacturers. Clueless fansubbers have collectively screwed everyone not running on an expensive, noisy, full-blown PC, and there's no solution in sight, beyond killing quality by transcoding everything.

RE: - EMK0 - 2012-07-04

(2012-07-04, 06:08)blugh Wrote: (Replying to an older post, since this is an even bigger problem today than it was in October...)

(2011-10-01, 01:39)Ned Scott Wrote:
Quote:Note that also none of the available hardware accelerated decoders (VDPAU, DXVA,
CUVID, etc.) support this.

Oh for fuck's sake. This won't last long. They'll either get waves of bitching and eventually buckle, or a ripping group will do a proper encode with those groups' subs included.

This is foolish. The *only* stuff using 10-bit is anime, and today, almost no fansubbed anime is available except in 10-bit. There are no "waves of bitching"; anime is a tiny niche for hardware manufacturers. Clueless fansubbers have collectively screwed everyone not running on an expensive, noisy, full-blown PC, and there's no solution in sight, beyond killing quality by transcoding everything.

that's bull I haven't run into any anime that is 10bit only and I watch alot

RE: 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? - jpsdr - 2012-07-04

Some fansub teams are doing only 10bit for HD release (720p & +), while others are doing both. If you're targeting a specific team because you know they used to have a good quality (spelling and translation), if this team do only 10bits...

RE: - Ned Scott - 2012-07-04

(2012-07-04, 06:08)blugh Wrote: (Replying to an older post, since this is an even bigger problem today than it was in October...)

(2011-10-01, 01:39)Ned Scott Wrote: Oh for fuck's sake. This won't last long. They'll either get waves of bitching and eventually buckle, or a ripping group will do a proper encode with those groups' subs included.

Oh, there are waves of bitching, but they're just not as big as I thought they would be. I see them all the time in torrent comments, fansub websites, and here on the XBMC forums. What's calmed a lot of people down is that there are "8-bit" copies of just about everything out there. Most of these aren't re-encodes from the Hi10P releases, but made from raws, timed up with pre-existing subs.

The other element is the growing number of simulcasts. Either people are watching the actual simulcasts from the official/licensed websites, or they're using groups that rip from them (such as Horrible Subs, which only does "8-bit" releases).

Several groups continue to provide High Profile (8-bit) releases directly, and some don't release Hi10P versions at all.

Quote:anime is a tiny niche for hardware manufacturers.

Yeah, I know, I've pointed this out several times in this thread and on other websites. Perhaps you've misunderstood me, but I meant the bitching would be directed at fansub groups, not hardware manufacturers.

But yes, a lot of fansub groups out there are clueless and expect us all to run noisy, desktop grade HTPCs. While it might mean waiting a bit longer than what some speed-sub groups do, there are still good quality "8-bit" versions of just about everything on air today.

Hopefully in a few years, when h.265 has taken over, and hardware decoders for that are common/affordable, things will stabilize for a few more years like it did for a while with h.264 High Profile.

RE: 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? - jpsdr - 2012-07-04

(2012-07-02, 19:37)Drymex Wrote: @jpsdr: is there a tutorial on how to build an mt-enabled ffmpeg that works with XBMC?

There is a toturial on how to build XBMC, in the developpement forum (toturial is on Wiki).
After, i modify the DVDVideoCodecFFmpeg.cpp file with :
Code:
/* Only allow slice threading, since frame threading is more
   * sensitive to changes in frame sizes, and it causes crashes
   * during HW accell */
  bool disable_mt_frame=true;
#ifdef HAS_DX
  disable_mt_frame=g_guiSettings.GetBool("videoplayer.usedxva2");
#endif
  if (disable_mt_frame) m_pCodecContext->thread_type = FF_THREAD_SLICE;
  else m_pCodecContext->thread_type = FF_THREAD_FRAME;
This is the "safest" and easy and quick way i've found, as the biggest problem is to not enable MT with DXVA.
There is apparently others issues than DXVA with MT, but i've not encounter them until now. This is at least working fine for me.
Disable DXVA2 to have MT with the modification i've posted, and no need of course if you're under XP, because DXVA2 is not supported.