Kodi Community Forum
(ATV2) Slow Loading of Fanart/banners etc.. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: (ATV2) Slow Loading of Fanart/banners etc.. (/showthread.php?tid=106086)

Pages: 1 2 3

(ATV2) Slow Loading of Fanart/banners etc.. - jj5768(2) - 2011-07-23

Hi all, first a little background:

Atv2: V4.2.2(2203)
XBMC: Pre11.0 Git:20110722-e825052 (compiled July 22)

All video is held on a NAS shared with SMB, but database and fanart etc.. is held locally on the ATV. Library is looking a little large however:

1.2G /private/var/mobile/Library

XBMC Log File: http://pastebin.com/i8WS3Bwh

Issue is slow loading of fanart/backgrounds - it takes >10secs for the first fanart to appear, after which subsequent artwork appears faster, but is still >3/4 secs each time. I'm wondering if this might be improved by moving my library to the NAS, and using path substitution, or if its something that is an issue for some, but not others with smaller libraries perhaps ?

eg. towards the end of the logfile:
DoWork - took 10180 ms to load special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/ae8bf8bb.tbn

Any thoughts ?

Ps. Is it worth enabling dirty regions on the ATV yet, with stock confluence skin ?

Thanks !

- emkay - 2011-07-23

The slow loading of fanarts is a known issue. So we just have to wait until a dev finds a way to fix this.

The dirtyregion thing works on the atv2, but sometimes produces a few glitches in graphics. Nothing serious, so if you wanna try it, give it a shot and decide if you want to use it...

EmKay

- Memphiz - 2011-07-23

yes it is worth to enable dr on atv2 ... no clue about the slow fanarts

- mkortstiege - 2011-07-23

Memphiz, ddsfanart is working on ATV2?

- Memphiz - 2011-07-23

vdrfan i don't know how to test ... at least it isn't ifdef'ed out in Texture.cpp ... so might work ...

- jmadonald - 2011-07-24

my fanart has a blue tint to them all. as well as thumbnails.

- Cranial - 2011-07-24

vdrfan Wrote:Memphiz, ddsfanart is working on ATV2?

I seem to recall Davilla saying that dds images won't be hardware accelerated or something on the ATV2, so won't produce and speed benefits. My memory could be playing tricks though. I'll try to dig it up.

*Edit*

It was actually JMarshall: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=724492&postcount=2

Namely:
Quote:It will if anything make things slower, as DDS textures are not supported on iOS.

- Platoon - 2011-07-24

i checked xbmc timeline and i saw that devilla made two commits which are *maybe* related to problem that we have. Devilla?

- Memphiz - 2011-07-24

related but not the solution Sad ... we worked on that some hours yesterday and please don't expect a fix for this soon. Its a slippery issue which is hard to track down. Just do it like with the ssa subtitle fix. Just be pationed and when you expected it the least it might been fixed already. Wink

ps: dds is only decoded in software on ios - no solution either...

- jj5768(2) - 2011-07-24

Well, thanks for looking into this - hope that its figured out eventually, happy to help test any builds, but then again - most of the people on here would be too..

BTW - tested DR, Frame rate went from mid 40's to 70's, with what seemed to be a lower memory consumption (not much, maybe placebo effect) but had issues with artifacts on movie listings page, so reverted (I'd cope.. not sure sig other would..)

Cool

- marcoanttonnio - 2011-08-27

jmadonald Wrote:my fanart has a blue tint to them all. as well as thumbnails.

I had the same problem after enabling <useddsfanart>. All fanart and thumbs started to become blue tinted. My guess is that there is a problem with .dds generation in atv2 nightlies, so I changed <useddsfanart> to false in advanced settings.xml (it's the default, so I could just delete it) and then I deleted all .dds files in userdata/Thumbnails subdirectories.

After that, all thumbs and fanarts came back to normal.

- Memphiz - 2011-08-27

dds is useless on atv2 nevertheless ... because there is no hardware acceleration for it ...

- mprassel - 2011-08-28

marcoanttonnio Wrote:I had the same problem after enabling <useddsfanart>. All fanart and thumbs started to become blue tinted. My guess is that there is a problem with .dds generation in atv2 nightlies, so I changed <useddsfanart> to false in advanced settings.xml (it's the default, so I could just delete it) and then I deleted all .dds files in userdata/Thumbnails subdirectories.

This fixed my problem too. Thank you very much! It was driving me crazy.

- davilla - 2011-08-28

marcoanttonnio Wrote:I had the same problem after enabling <useddsfanart>. All fanart and thumbs started to become blue tinted. My guess is that there is a problem with .dds generation in atv2 nightlies, so I changed <useddsfanart> to false in advanced settings.xml (it's the default, so I could just delete it) and then I deleted all .dds files in userdata/Thumbnails subdirectories.

Ahhh, finally we get enough information to know where to look for the blue tinted thumbs.

- regnets - 2011-08-28

If you got slow loading fanart or thumbs, try to use these settings in advancedsettings.xml

<fanartheight>540</fanartheight>
<thumbsize>256</thumbsize>

You need to delete your complete Thumbnail cache. Then the thumbnails/fanart will new create with a smaller size (fanart in 960 by 540 and thumbs by max high 256). I got a 40" Samsung Full HD TV and i see no difference between full sized images and these smaller ones. The loading of fanart decreased by 4 seconds to 1 to 2 seconds per image.

All my thumbs are on my nas
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails</from>
<to>smb://xbmc:[email protected]/Thumbnails</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

I think it could be faster if the fanart is local.