Kodi Community Forum
got a ER1401 on order is it worth fitting an SSD drive? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: got a ER1401 on order is it worth fitting an SSD drive? (/showthread.php?tid=106310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- roidy - 2011-07-29

bertybassett Wrote:tested the machine last night and I must say I am impressed.

I updated the Nvidia drivers to the latest version and I had 1080p video running without any problems, I must point out I did not try 1080p directly from XBMC live with the default shipped Nvidia drivers.

5.1 sound via the HDMI cable without any fiddling (well I spent 3 years fiddling but that my fault because I had my amp set to audio = optical, d'oh).

The device is very quiet less that my PS3 until you try something processor intensive, like scrapping the library. Then it becomes just a tad louder than my PS3 but certainly not as loud as my xbox slim. Once you are playing a film it is unnoticeable.

The device is perfect performance wise, the menus are slick and don't not stutter or stick (unlike my does Revo 3610) therefore I do not see any need for more memory.

I am going to fit the SSD to keep the temps down to help prevent the fan from coming on as I am a noise freak but to honest I could like with the fan coming on as its not too loud. the bonus too this is I will have the old 2.5 sata HD to use as an external drive.

Overall when considering the price I aware this device 9.5 out of 10. This is almost the prefect XBMC machine. If they had included an MCE remote then it would have been 10 out of 10

P.S. It doesn't come with any mouse or keyboard, so don't forget to order one from ebuyer.com

I'm very tempted to buy one of these to replace my very noisy Asrock 330 thats shaped like a brick and over heats alotSmile

Could you tell me did it come with the vesa mounting bracket, it's show in the pictures on the ebuyer site but it's not mentioned in the description?

Thanks

- bertybassett - 2011-07-29

yes vsea mount is included.

- roidy - 2011-07-29

Cool, at £129 it's a stealBig Grin

One more quick question, what size is the spacing on the vesa mount?

Thanks for the reply.

- NRF19 - 2011-07-30

I have one of these but I'm thinking of building my own machine instead, for me with the latest graphics drivers on all distros and 1080p playback is laggy.
The problem doesn't lie in networking as it is gigabit and quite frankly I'm confused as to whether it can handle it or whether the problem lies with the drives inside my unRAID server. Will try playing same file from local disk and over network later.But any other suggestions to check failing that?

- bertybassett - 2011-07-30

lastest drivers, 1080p 15Gb mkv file and it worked like a dream. OK I would image a 45Gb blu-ray rip might fail but all my newsgroup downloads worked like a charm.

roidy Wrote:Cool, at £129 it's a stealBig Grin

One more quick question, what size is the spacing on the vesa mount?

Thanks for the reply.

an estimate is the holes on the vest mount are about 10cm to 15 cm diagonally apart.

For me this device was much better than a reveo 3610 I had about a year ago.

It was quieter.
The menus didn't stutter
and it is cheaper.

- diego-ch - 2011-07-30

how does it handle the AeonMQ skin? Big Grin

no idea don't use it but runs wonder full on Neon or Neon SVN

- NRF19 - 2011-07-30

thats odd, whats the highest bitrate file you can play without any issues.
I'm wondering if the problem may lie in my unRAID server, I'll upgrade that later.

- bertybassett - 2011-07-31

i got a 15Gb file playing seamlessly not sure of the maximum.

No way I'm downloading a 45Gb bluRay to test with.

- bertybassett - 2011-08-01

NRF19 Wrote:thats odd, whats the highest bitrate file you can play without any issues.
I'm wondering if the problem may lie in my unRAID server, I'll upgrade that later.

drop a high bit rate file onto the box locally as a test.

- feedidy - 2011-08-01

Is somebody able to test a reasonable sized (~30GB) MKV with this?

I'm sorely tempted to buy one but most of my films are HD now so if it doesn't play them it's a deal breaker.

- feedidy - 2011-08-02

Ok I took the plunge and got one

I'm struggling to get Audio through HDMI, could somebody let me know what their settings are?

Do I need to update the nvidia driver? (apt-get upgrade?)

Edit

Nevermind, it was muted in Alsamixer!! Duhh

I'd still like to update the nvidia drivers, do I just run apt-get upgrade

Don't want to trash my kernel

- Moystard - 2011-08-03

Really interesting thread, makes me even more excited of receiving mine (ordered it on Monday and knowing ebuyer, it should not arrive before next Monday :/).

Anyway, I intend to use it as an emulation platform too (with Launcher/Advanced Launcher) and I am quite excited to see which platforms I will be able to run.