Kodi Community Forum
got a ER1401 on order is it worth fitting an SSD drive? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: got a ER1401 on order is it worth fitting an SSD drive? (/showthread.php?tid=106310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- MrCarbo - 2011-08-03

feedidy Wrote:Ok I took the plunge and got one

I'm struggling to get Audio through HDMI, could somebody let me know what their settings are?

Do I need to update the nvidia driver? (apt-get upgrade?)

Edit

Nevermind, it was muted in Alsamixer!! Duhh

I'd still like to update the nvidia drivers, do I just run apt-get upgrade

Don't want to trash my kernel

Looking at getting one of these.

How have you found the menus in xbmc - are they responsive or laggy?

And how is 1080p playback? My files will be on a USB drive.

- MrCarbo - 2011-08-03

In the bios settings, how much memory can you allocate to graphics? 256MB or 512MB like the Revo R3610?

- feedidy - 2011-08-03

Menus are fairly snappy.

I played the first 20 minutes of Anchorn Man at 1080p and it was fine, even over the LAN. I have installed libsomething though that is supposed to improve playback.

UMA size in the BIOS goes from 32MB to 512MB, with 256MB being the default.

- MrCarbo - 2011-08-03

feedidy Wrote:Menus are fairly snappy.

I played the first 20 minutes of Anchorn Man at 1080p and it was fine, even over the LAN. I have installed libsomething though that is supposed to improve playback.

Any idea what libsomething was? And is that just for these machines or for xbmc live/linux in general?

How noisy is the fan?

I've also seen someone say there's a high pitched sound coming from either the machine or the power supply? Anybody else had this?

- feedidy - 2011-08-03

It was libvdpau

Fan whirrs for a few seconds at power-on, but then drops to a level that's practically inaudible.

No sound from PSU at all.

- feedidy - 2011-08-03

It's worth also saying that the machine runs quite warm, but mine is bolted to the back of my LCD TV which is also warm.

- MrCarbo - 2011-08-03

feedidy Wrote:It was libvdpau

Fan whirrs for a few seconds at power-on, but then drops to a level that's practically inaudible.

No sound from PSU at all.

Have you had any issues with tearing or any other weridness whilst playing back 1080p or any other media with it? Is the picture sharp?

Basically, I've got a R3610 as my main media player, but I want a solution for the kids rooms and this seems to fit the bill.... but I need 3 of them so I'm hoping that these er1401's will be equivalent to the Revo R3610. Would that be a fair conclusion/assumption/comparison?

- feedidy - 2011-08-03

Sorry, I've no idea - never used a Revo R3610.

I've not really tested 1080p on it properly, I'm waiting until the weekend to have a movie-night. I've tested Anchorman and the first few minutes of A Bug's Life and they both worked great, even over the network.

- Moystard - 2011-08-04

MrCarbo Wrote:Have you had any issues with tearing or any other weridness whilst playing back 1080p or any other media with it? Is the picture sharp?

Basically, I've got a R3610 as my main media player, but I want a solution for the kids rooms and this seems to fit the bill.... but I need 3 of them so I'm hoping that these er1401's will be equivalent to the Revo R3610. Would that be a fair conclusion/assumption/comparison?

Regarding the processor, the AMD is more definitely above the Atom N330 of your Revo R3610, so you can normally assume that everything you can do with your actual HTPC, you will be able to do it with the eMachines.

- MrCarbo - 2011-08-04

Moystard Wrote:Regarding the processor, the AMD is more definitely above the Atom N330 of your Revo R3610, so you can normally assume that everything you can do with your actual HTPC, you will be able to do it with the eMachines.

Wonder how the 9200 (8200) chipset in the emachines compares with the ION in the R3610? I guess if it supports VDPAU level B then their both the same in that respect, but one might be better than the other in terms of gaming performance/power consumption etc?

I see nobody has managed to get these emachines to play untouched big bluray rips. Not surprised - my revo couldn't handle untouched 40GB avatar rip either. But then I've no intention of storing huge MKVs anyway, so I don't see it as an issue.

- feedidy - 2011-08-04

MrCarbo Wrote:Wonder how the 9200 (8200) chipset in the emachines compares with the ION in the R3610? I guess if it supports VDPAU level B then their both the same in that respect, but one might be better than the other in terms of gaming performance/power consumption etc?

I see nobody has managed to get these emachines to play untouched big bluray rips. Not surprised - my revo couldn't handle untouched 40GB avatar rip either. But then I've no intention of storing huge MKVs anyway, so I don't see it as an issue.

Both the files I tested were 1080p Bluray rips

- MrCarbo - 2011-08-04

feedidy Wrote:Both the files I tested were 1080p Bluray rips

But were they untouched or were they converted?

- feedidy - 2011-08-04

MrCarbo Wrote:But were they untouched or were they converted?

Straight from the disc, no compression at all.

- MrCarbo - 2011-08-05

feedidy Wrote:Menus are fairly snappy.

I've ordered one of these now, it's arriving Saturday. I've seen some people struggling to get in bios saying F1, F2 etc doesn't work. How did you get in to the BIOS?

- DigitalDaz - 2011-08-06

MrCarbo Wrote:I've ordered one of these now, it's arriving Saturday. I've seen some people struggling to get in bios saying F1, F2 etc doesn't work. How did you get in to the BIOS?

Simply hit the DEL key, mine works fine even using my wireless keyboard