Kodi Community Forum
got a ER1401 on order is it worth fitting an SSD drive? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: got a ER1401 on order is it worth fitting an SSD drive? (/showthread.php?tid=106310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- MrCarbo - 2011-08-06

I've got 3 of these today and set them up.

There is a high pitched noise coming from them, I think it's the fan. You can only really here it if the room is quiet and you're close to them, but it's definitely there.

Wireless seems a bit flakey too. It's ok, then you reboot and sometimes it doesn't work. Anybody else had that problem?

- rhodeski - 2011-08-07

Also got one of these and thought I'd try using xbmc Live, which was a breeze to install... am loving the fast boot time (25 seconds from switching it on to being at the home screen!) Big Grin

Seems to handle the Aeon Nox skin pretty well, however, I don't get any sound over HDMI... pretty sure I've got all the xbmc settings correct, and have read various posts about upgrading ALSA, but being a total linux noob, wondered if there was an easier way of fixing that without resorting to command line shenanigans and no doubt screwing the whole thing up!? Nerd

- feedidy - 2011-08-07

No, I can only hear the fan if I press my ear up to the case.

For others; to get sound working over HDMI:

Sound Output to HDMI

Custom Output to plughw0,3

Drop to a shell, run alsamixer and un-mute the channels

Menu Sounds:

Make a .asoundrc file in xbmc user's home folder
Code:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave {
        pcm "plughw:0,3"
    }
}

I'm having an issue with any nVidia driver after 190 wrecking the refresh rate of the HDMI so my TV refuses to show anything (works fine on my monitor). I think it's a known problem with the nVidia driver however.

- MrCarbo - 2011-08-08

feedidy Wrote:No, I can only hear the fan if I press my ear up to the case.

For others; to get sound working over HDMI:

Sound Output to HDMI

Custom Output to plughw0,3

Drop to a shell, run alsamixer and un-mute the channels

Menu Sounds:

Make a .asoundrc file in xbmc user's home folder
Code:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave {
        pcm "plughw:0,3"
    }
}

I'm having an issue with any nVidia driver after 190 wrecking the refresh rate of the HDMI so my TV refuses to show anything (works fine on my monitor). I think it's a known problem with the nVidia driver however.

Thanks for the sound info! Smile

Well this is what mine does when I turn it on:

1. The power light doesn't come on immediately.
2. The fan starts up straight away and is running fast.
3. The power light comes on and at the same time the unit makes a high pitched noise.
4. A second or so later the machine beeps, the fan slows down, it displays the startup screen and the hight pitch noise stops (or at least goes very quiet).

Does anybody else experience this?

I don't think it is the fan as I've disabled the smart fan in the bios so that the fan is running full speed all the time and it's very noisy and continues to run fast and noisy past the boot up screen, but the hight pitch noise stops as soon as the machine beeps.

It's not a big problem - as soon as the boot screen is displayed the high pitch noise is gone and doesn't come back or at least you can't hear it... just wondering if I've got a slightly faulty one or whether this is just the way they are and would be considered acceptable and within normal parameters by the manufacturer/retailer.

- voochi - 2011-08-08

Sometimes PSUs emit a high pitched noise.

- rhodeski - 2011-08-08

[quote=feedidy]Drop to a shell, run alsamixer and un-mute the channels
[/code]

Quality, that's all I needed to do to get sound working through HDMI... may well investigate getting menu sounds working at some point but am happy as Larry for now! Big Grin

Next step is to get some sort of WOL working with the android remote (if that's even possible)

Hope you manage to get the HDMI refresh rate sorted....

For what it's worth, I don't hear any high pitched sounds, but the fan does spin up to max before the bios beep then quieten down (don't remember it doing this to begin with but i guess it must have) and I can only hear it after that if I'm literally right next to it.

- philAit - 2011-08-10

For info I received one of these yesterday. It's quiet as a mouse. Set-up with Win7 32bit, I've had limited testing but performance wise it happily played BBC-HD via the iPlayer plugin at about 45-50% cpu usage. DVD streamed from my NAS were 15-25%
Looking good so far.

Hd Questions - steddie - 2011-08-16

1) I am using the latest stable build 10.1. I notice mention of nightly Builds Not sure if this is something i should be a part of?

2) I am using an old Dell netbook (screen is broken I was able to install teamviewer and remote in) in the closet running Windows xp. Wired ethernet just the serve my bluray collection and 10 TB and growing. On the machine i mapped the drives scrapped them. All is well except when i play back in some scenes i get a slight jitter. i have updated to nvidia latest drivers change the windows theme to basic, upgraded ram to 4 gb. what can i do to ensure silky smooth hd play back? I may try to allocate more ram to the graphics card in bios. Not usre if this will work...

3) export library option...This only saves the fan art scrapping results correct? not the entire library? sorry for the basic questions? Any insight appreciated in advance!

- hr21 - 2011-08-23

so would you guys say an ssd won't make a big difference to this device?

Reason being, you can sell the 250gb 2.5 drive for £40 and buy a 16gb ssd drive (enough for linux) for £37.

- eskro - 2011-08-23

hr21 Wrote:Reason being, you can sell the 250gb 2.5 drive for £40 and buy a 16gb ssd drive (enough for linux) for £37.

that would be nice Tongue

- hr21 - 2011-08-23

would you think its worth it eskro?

- eskro - 2011-08-23

if i give you a 250gb 2.5 drive u land me a 16gb ssd drive for it, hell yeahh!!!

- poofyhairguy - 2011-08-24

hr21 Wrote:would you think its worth it eskro?

To make the interface fly.

- bertybassett - 2011-09-25

Menus and interface are prefectly fine speedwise, no need for SSD. I sent mine back.

Got 1080p 15Gb mkv files playing from QNAP nas via lan with no dropped frames.

Better than my revo 3610 for speed. Processor faster even though its got a slower clock speed.

To enable sounds
no need to drop to terminal to un-mute sound for HDMI you can go to the program menu and use the app there. Once done then go to setting system/system/audio output and select audio output device to HDMI and passthrough output device to HDMI (was for my DTS amp)

How to updated nvidia driver.

Alt+F2 to get command prompt, or SSH.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings

For the mad, crazy or brave
Added ppa:lars-opdenkamp/xbmc-pvr repo and was able to get a 1st august 2011 pre11 nightly build up and running. The mario-sitz repos and team-svn repos use uxlaunch which I could not get working, so avoid these.

Word of warning but do not update your kernels as your remote will stopped working

- bertybassett - 2011-09-25

HOW-TO achieve perfect playback at 23.97 or 59.94 Hz

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=506251&postcount=1