Kodi Community Forum
DSPlayer (DirectShow Player for XBMC) Eden build available - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: DSPlayer (DirectShow Player for XBMC) Eden build available (/showthread.php?tid=106629)

- azaze1 - 2011-12-28

alexrose1uk Wrote:Reading this also makes me a sad panda, and I have nothing but praise for Tiben and Madshi for there efforts (especially for Tiben ressurecting and making further improvements).

Part of my understanding is the reason DSPlayer died in the first place was because some of the XBMC team made it rather hard for a single OS branch to exist officially, if it didn't act almost uniform to XBMC elsewhere. Following on from this I noticed the response to people asking for updates for 10bit compatibility was 'when we get round to it'.

For a media centre, this sort of attitude makes me really sad, as it feels like, at some level, at least some of the team of the project have kinda forgotten the whole point of a media centre; to playback media.
This should be it's primary goal and focus, playing back all media well, and it feels like at some level, some of the team have forgotten that, possibly in thier drive for something that acts/works identically regardless of whether you're on a Linux or Windows build.
That shouldn't matter, the focus should be on the best playback possible for each OS, regardless of the UI or non-core features (seriously, PVR functionality over HD Audio and certain media format compatibility?!).

It does make me rather sad.

Tiben/Madshi - please continue your work in bringing us an XBMC branch with the best playback quality and compatibility you can muster, in many way your efforts are truer to the 'real' nature of a media player than anything else which could be done, bar updating XBMC's main playback engine.

Well spoken, agreed on all accounts.

- michmetz - 2011-12-28

Tiben,
can you have a short look at my problem with m2ts audio files?
I would be very glad to get an answer and a little help. Or is this
a closed circle of people - in which a new member with bad english has no chance to get an answer.
My files has been downloaded 27x, i think no one could play onlyaudio.m2ts
with any dsplayer after 33619. But there is no answer of one of that cool guys
here around.
I#m on dsplayer since it started, and i love the quality it has given to me.Based on dsplayer i worked for days and weeks to rip all my music bluerays and dvds,
cause i dont want to see each time the bad videos( DSOTM Pink Floyd p.e.)
and was happy then to hear the best music possible with dsplayer. But then with 33619 it stopped. Is all my work done for nothing and do i have to wait till new AudioEngine is ready?
i want like each other in this thread the newest xbmc gui and the best futures.
Without help i stay on an xbmc/dsplayer Version which is one year old and where visualisation (milkdrop) is broken.
So please help or explain.
If no one wants to help and if that cool guys here around wish to get me out,
please give me a notice and i'll go.
Mike

- GreenEyez - 2011-12-28

maruchan Wrote:I think people are being a bit too harsh on the XBMC devs. HD audio wasn't included because the developer of the AudioEngine branch had to take some time off and it wasn't in a state to be included when they set the feature freeze. If by 'no video engine upgrades', you mean they haven't updated FFMPEG, it's already been stated that they have numerous patches for FFMPEG that they have to apply and they weren't going to upgrade FFMPEG in the middle of a feature freeze.

They've done some major under-the-hood refactoring, which will hopefully bring about Binary Add-ons, and thus the ability to have custom players like DSPlayer to make everyone happy.

Also, there have been huge upgrades in the DXVA deinterlacing department done by one of the developers, so there have been improvements in the playback department.

10bit? Aside from some anime fansubbers that`t don`t give a damn about hardware compatiblity, nobody uses that, not even scene encoders, so the priority is low

- hentai23 - 2011-12-28

rickardkk Wrote:To lose a bit of responsiveness in the GUI (when playing video) in exchange for the benefits that madVR brings, should not concern anyone who got their priorities straight.

+1 this!!!! Angry

i hope madshi and tiben will find a way to get this done nonetheless, no matter WHO tries to stand in theyre way , never stop fighting you can do it ! im counting on ya and alot of members here too

and greeneyes it may only be anime that does 10bit atm but this is only the very beginning, if everybody would think like that then wed all still be using sd resolution black and white tv's xD

- steelman1991 - 2011-12-28

Why don't you cool with the rhetoric? (Its likely to achieve the square root of f..k all) - if there's a way to achieve it I'm sure they will.

I'm quite sure there desperate to implement it, if only to get you off their backs.

- GreenEyez - 2011-12-28

Because Scene and non-Scene encoders (like Framestore or D-Zone from AHD) will not break DXVA/CUDA compatibility and hardware media player compatibility (WD Live and the likes) just to shave off 500MB from a movie.

And learn some proper english, your stupid white kid thinking he is a black guy from 50 cent clips manner of writing is irritating.

- tiben20 - 2011-12-28

591 (PR) Tongue

- PatrickBateman - 2011-12-28

maruchan Wrote:I think people are being a bit too harsh on the XBMC devs. HD audio wasn't included because the developer of the AudioEngine branch had to take some time off and it wasn't in a state to be included when they set the feature freeze. If by 'no video engine upgrades', you mean they haven't updated FFMPEG, it's already been stated that they have numerous patches for FFMPEG that they have to apply and they weren't going to upgrade FFMPEG in the middle of a feature freeze.

They've done some major under-the-hood refactoring, which will hopefully bring about Binary Add-ons, and thus the ability to have custom players like DSPlayer to make everyone happy.

I'm not being harsh, and i certainly dont mean to be. I posted just a few days ago that i agree the guys have worked hard and done some great things. And they do it for free.

What i meant was, was that ive had these direct conversations with the devs in these forums amd there reply was that they stated we would get no official HD Audio until "possibly" frodo in 2013 and definitely no FFMPEG upgrade in 2012 as it was to big a job (meaning they chose to do the easier jobs) They did chose to work on the easier stuff (the GUI) and they did a great job, but i think the point people are makin is that we wouldn't mind if eden was delayed if they were upgrading the audio and video engine and left the GUI until 2012/13...

Which isn't harsh, it's actual fact from the road map and the devs themselves. I didnt mean for my post to sound harsh, and I don't think it was? So I apologise if it did.

I think the devs have done a great job, i thank them for what they do, but I think the community has possibly done a more media focused set of upgrades and patches that are based on media experience not how pretty it looks.

Face lifts could have waited until 2012/13. That is what I think some people are feeling... Let's do video/audio first and then make it look pretty etc...

We're not getting audio and or video upgrades officially now until 2013... That does seem a tad strange for a media payer in a world of HD Audio and HD/3D Video Bluray etc. I'd expect those things to be first in line and all else to come in a close second, seems the devs don't but they don't seem to give a reason why and are shooting down community devs left right and centre with very little explanation or alternative routes around certain problems.

Again, it wasn't ment to bash anyone, I think the devs have done a wonderful job, but i do agree that some of their decisions to leave audio and video upgrades seems a tad strange for what is essentially a MEDIA player.

Cheers,
Pat~

- hentai23 - 2011-12-28

GreenEyez Wrote:Because Scene and non-Scene encoders (like Framestore or D-Zone from AHD) will not break DXVA/CUDA compatibility and hardware media player compatibility (WD Live and the likes) just to shave off 500MB from a movie.

And learn some proper english, your stupid white kid thinking he is a black guy from 50 cent clips manner of writing is irritating.

we shall see about that as said 10bit isnt far off for scene and non scene releases now ok id give em about 1 year or so to adopt, id be suprised if this would be limited to anime only xD, as youve said 500mb less but the same quality or even abit better sounds great to me tbh, and 50 cent gangster style writing ...suuuureeeee , then im a gangster pirate , harrr!!! xD

steelman1991 Wrote:Why don't you cool with the rhetoric? (Its likely to achieve the square root of f..k all) - if there's a way to achieve it I'm sure they will.

I'm quite sure there desperate to implement it, if only to get you off their backs.

lolz, you better believe it Big Grin

tiben20 Wrote:591 (PR) Tongue

is this a good or bad thing ? xD

- 0wing - 2011-12-28

I don't understand how anyone could consider Eden just a "facelift".
And calling things like dirty regions easy, lol.

Davilla's post in the 10bit thread summed up the whole ffmpeg business perfectly:
davilla Wrote:10-bit h264 requires moving to FFmpeg head.
10-bit h264 is there but still being worked on by FFmpeg devs.
FFmpeg head will not compile for iOS.
FFmpeg has many corner decoder cases to check, verify, fix if broke.

Should we delay a release while we wait for 10-bit h264 in FFmpeg to complete ?

Should we delay a release while we deal with fallout from merging up FFmpeg ? It takes two-three months of such a major change running in nightlies before I'm convinced that it is stable.

10-bit h264 will effect a very small percentage of xbmc users, should we penalize the others (pushing out a stable release) while we wait ?

Inquiring minds want to know but it's been decided to freeze for a release and deal with FFmpeg (and other things) in the next cycle.

It would be like holding off Eden until DSPlayer was 100% perfect so it could be included. Not going to happen.

- michmetz - 2011-12-28

HuHu- is somebody out there?
I need help!!!!!
i think i#m doing something wrong cause nobody give me an answer.
But i don't know what i#m doing wrong.
if someone could tell me i would be happy.
What shall i do to get help hereHuh?

- liquidskin76 - 2011-12-28

michmetz Wrote:Tiben,
can you have a short look at my problem with m2ts audio files?
I would be very glad to get an answer and a little help. Or is this
a closed circle of people - in which a new member with bad english has no chance to get an answer.
My files has been downloaded 27x, i think no one could play onlyaudio.m2ts
with any dsplayer after 33619. But there is no answer of one of that cool guys
here around.
I#m on dsplayer since it started, and i love the quality it has given to me.Based on dsplayer i worked for days and weeks to rip all my music bluerays and dvds,
cause i dont want to see each time the bad videos( DSOTM Pink Floyd p.e.)
and was happy then to hear the best music possible with dsplayer. But then with 33619 it stopped. Is all my work done for nothing and do i have to wait till new AudioEngine is ready?
i want like each other in this thread the newest xbmc gui and the best futures.
Without help i stay on an xbmc/dsplayer Version which is one year old and where visualisation (milkdrop) is broken.
So please help or explain.
If no one wants to help and if that cool guys here around wish to get me out,
please give me a notice and i'll go.
Mike

michmetz Wrote:HuHu- is somebody out there?
I need help!!!!!
i think i#m doing something wrong cause nobody give me an answer.
But i don't know what i#m doing wrong.
if someone could tell me i would be happy.
What shall i do to get help hereHuh?

Hey Mike,

Sorry... guess your post got lost in all the other chat!

Best to upload a full debug log from the latest build to pastebin and see what tiben thinks.

Cheers Wink

- liquidskin76 - 2011-12-28

Cool!

Is that the first pull request dsplayer has gone through? Or did it go through one before it died (well... nearly died!!)?

Cheers

- GreenEyez - 2011-12-28

Yes! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

- GreenEyez - 2011-12-28

liquidskin76 Wrote:Cool!

Is that the first pull request dsplayer has gone through? Or did it go through one before it died (well... nearly died!!)?

Cheers

Looks like the pull request was done/requested by Tiben 7 hours ago, so i presume it is a new one.