Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon (/showthread.php?tid=108124)

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - emaurer - 2013-04-18

I agree. My wife tried to do an online chat with them and they even tried to tell her that we couldn't use Prime on our LG BluRay player because our TV was not supported. I'm not very impressed with their customer support at all.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - mmallo - 2013-04-18

The response I received from Amazon Prime support.

I'm sorry that you haven't been able to watch Amazon Instant Video since yesterday.

There may be two issues going on here, first, the error message you are receiving is indicating that your device is missing a security (Digital Rights Management) update. I don't know anything about the XBMC on Ubuntu box, if you are unsure please contact the manufacturer for help in ensuring all updates are complete.

The other issue that may be causing trouble is that Adobe is no longer supporting the Adobe Flash Player on Ubuntu. While using Ubuntu you will not be able to keep up with the latest available updates for Flash Player. Amazon uses Adobe Flash Player, and requires it to be updated within the last few updates. It's likely that Adobe Flash Player is far more updated than what is supported on your Ubuntu box.

I assure that we're always looking into alternatives and other options to make our services available to as many people as possible.

We hope that you'll be able to continue watching Amazon Instant Video.

Best regards,
Julie T.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - Dave1miller - 2013-04-18

I also contacted amazon and suggested they support the use of XBMC.

The response I got:

Hello,

I'm sorry for the trouble you had streaming Amazon Instant Videos on the XBMC.

I understand that you've received a DRM error while trying to stream videos.

Unfortunately, at this time, Amazon Instant Videos cannot be streamed on the XBMC. I'm sorry for the disappointment this may cause.

You can visit the link below to see a list of our currently supported devices for Amazon Instant Video:

www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices

Please be informed that we are continuously adding more devices to our list of supported devices for Amazon Instant Video. Devices that are incompatible now may be compatible in the future.

I've taken your comments as feedback and forwarded your message to our Amazon Instant Video Team as you're interested in streaming Instant Videos through XBMC. They will carefully review your comments and I know they'll want to hear about your experience. We appreciate your patience in this matter.

We can't predict exactly how long it'll take to obtain this feature. However, once we receive any update about this, it will be posted on our website.

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us. We value your business and hope you'll give us an opportunity to prove the quality of our service to you in the future.

If there is anything else we can do to make things easier for you and to salvage what has up to now been a valued relationship, please let us know.

You can reach us via phone or email by clicking the Contact Us button in the right-hand column of our Help pages here:

www.amazon.com/help/instantvideo

We look forward to assisting you.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - Citizen_Seven - 2013-04-18

Here's what I wrote Amazon:

Quote:A recent change to the mechanism Amazon uses to stream videos has caused the media center software XBMC to no longer be able to play Amazon videos, neither prime-available nor purchased content. While of course Amazon is not responsible for third-party software that it doesn't officially support, I think it is in Amazon's best interests to work with the developers of XBMC to resolve this issue. The reason is that users like myself are also Amazon customers, and XBMC compatibility with Amazon videos determines whether I purchase VOD. I have made purchases of over $45,000 since 1999 at your site according to a recently run activity report, so I think it's fair to say that I am a reasonably good and profitable customer. Thus, you are losing a potential VOD customer with a proven track record of purchasing from your site.

I built a media center computer two years ago, using many parts purchased at Amazon, for just such endeavors. Incompatibility with XBMC makes your VOD services much less appealing to me, and confirms my initial reluctance to go the VOD route: the provider can break compatibility on a whim, thus greatly devaluing the utility of any purchased library of streaming content.

I also think Amazon may be missing a golden opportunity. I see that Amazon is already taking pre-orders for the Ouya to be released in June. The item description page only mentions that it is an android-based gaming console for attachment to TVs, but Ouya has also partnered with XBMC for the device to serve as a media center. I think you may be risking having irate customers who purchase Ouyas complain that a device purchased at Amazon isn't compatible with Amazon's own VOD service. Rather, if Amazon fixes it's streaming to return compatibility with XBMC, Ouya sales will drive Amazon VOD sales, potentially quite substantially as it is a cheap multi-use device that is designed for the living room.

I am not going to rant and say "I'll never buy from Amazon again!", because I will. I have been very pleased with Amazon products and services over the years, and I intend to keep shopping at your site. However, the compatibility issue with XBMC does lessen greatly my inclination to buy/rent VOD services, and it does cause Amazon to lose some good will or "mindshare" with respect to a longtime and loyal customer.

BlueCop, I specifically didn't mention your name as I get the impression you'd rather be under the radar as far as Amazon is concerned. If I had, I would have recommended they hire you, or contract out your services.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - DFergATL - 2013-04-18

Well it's a good thing I didn't go ahead and purchase Amazon Prime, saved me the money. But, I am very, very disappointed. Now the only major steaming service left is Hulu. Ya, Hulu sucks.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - locoguano - 2013-04-18

this really needs to be the focus of the XBMC devs. Great, its on every OS on Earth... But you have to do a special build to use spotify, Pandora comes and goes, and the only on-demand service that works is Hulu...

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - spyder - 2013-04-19

Hopefully this will result in an officially supported Prime plugin. I will also contact Amazon, because I have no desire to get a new device just to use Amazon. This same issue is the reason I dont subscribe to Netflix, that and you need a powerful pc to do the same thing as a cheap STB.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - MiniPilote - 2013-04-19

I have sent two emails to them and both times they responded with an "unsupported hardware" message. Either way, I was rather enjoying this feature. I really hope it can get resolved because I'll probably drop Amazon Prime over it. It's too bad more companies can't see how supporting efforts like this could be beneficial. I'm sure the content providers are pulling some strings here since open source just means piracy to them. Perhaps some day they'll figure out the world is changing and if they don't choose to change with it they'll end up like the dinosaurs.

I would like to give a big THANKS to all the devs that made this what it is. That's BlueCop and others.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - hefty - 2013-04-19

My finger is hovering over the buy-button for a Roku. We've only been viewing Amazon Prime and some PBS stuff via XBMC anyway. Sigh...

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - emaurer - 2013-04-19

Does anyone know how active development on the BlueCop repository is now? It looks like there was a fix for the same type of issue about a year ago. There's still an open bug from June 2012 for a Flash DRM error, but I'm trying to decide if I should open a new one or not.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - DonGateley - 2013-04-19

(2013-04-18, 19:45)john.doe Wrote: Well that is bullshit because XMBC has been able to stream amazon prime for a long, long time. If they are going to discontinue support of XBMC and start using DRM then I want my $80 Amazon Prime membership back, which means I wont be ordering products from Amazon again either

It's bullshit but it's bullshit that can be expected from Amazon. First they used Prime HD Instant Video to bait in subscribers then they switched out support of HD for all but a few favored platforms, computers not being one of them. Now the same thing is happening to all Prime Instant videos. These guys are taking over the consumer purchasing world and they are not to be trusted even a little bit. After they've killed off everyone else watch what happens to their prices, profit margins and media control. You bet Bezos is thinking long term.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - timber - 2013-04-19

We have a thread at Amazon.com of XBMC users discussing the breakage.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%20prime/ref=cm_cd_fp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx19TKUDUCVHDNP&cdThread=Tx19HPH8H35E889

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - mikefreeman - 2013-04-19

In my XBMC log file I'm seeing this under the section with the Amazon addon info:

ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header
ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [<the URL of the movie>]

Don't know if that helps anyone at all, but there it is...

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - portron - 2013-04-19

It has nothing to do with plugin actually being broken but rather Amazon activating Flash Access DRM on their end.

Without the proper key/token, librtmp never receives an actual stream.

As far as I can tell, there is no removing Flash Access, short of actually ripping a screen capture.

RE: [RELEASE] Amazon Prime Instant Video plug-in addon - Centinel - 2013-04-19

Nope, they won't budge. Amazon CS told me:

Quote:Please understand that you can instantly stream Prime Instant Video titles on a Mac or PC, Kindle Fire, as well as many Internet-connected TVs, Blu-ray players and set-top-boxes. However at this time, Prime Videos cannot be streamed on third party applications (i.e. XBMC app).

I apologize for any disappointment this may have caused.

As you indicated that you're using a Linux system, please note that Linux isn't officially supported, however the Red Hat 5, SUSE 11, or Ubuntu 8.04 Linux versions may be able to successfully stream Amazon Instant Videos.

And he included instructions for watching in a browser. Idiot.

My Prime account is up on Monday, and I won't renew.