Kodi Community Forum
Whats the best way to segment my library? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: Whats the best way to segment my library? (/showthread.php?tid=109576)

Pages: 1 2

Whats the best way to segment my library? - Ayala - 2011-09-07

so after what seems like "aeons" ago (get it). I'm back on xbmc full-time. but i'm now somewhat upgraded i.e. 3d tv, running nightlies. etc. and I have about 6 TB's of media properly categorized. Problem is my 5 year old son watches more movies than i do and he has to sort through about 600 movies most of which are horror, to get to a few cartoons.

I know there was a way to setup favorites in the main menu (I'm rusty). I'd like to exclude family movies from my main library onto its own section and I also have about 30 or so 3D SBS movies that I'd like to create a home menu for. Unless I've been out of the loop that long and this has been totally integrated in some other way can someone provide some solutions?

thanks in advance!

- outatouch0 - 2011-09-07

Though I have yet to try this myself. Most responses to this question recomend setting up user profiles. One for adults and one for kids. I believe you can even set profile passwords if you like.

- mr.sparkle - 2011-09-07

smart playlists can handle all this

- Ayala - 2011-09-07

yeah user profiles seems a little cumbersome, however playlists seems like I should explore, thanks!

- Ayala - 2011-09-07

So I figured I could take care of my SBS films but filtering through resolution. and I my family movies through genre but how does one exclude those family movies from the main pool of movies?

- tehsnarf - 2011-09-07

They way I did it, though it's somewhat tedious, is create folders based on Ratings, ie:

Movies/1. G
Movies/2. PG
Movies/3. PG-13
Movies/4. R
Movies/5. NA

etc. etc.
and then created a profile without a password for the kids, mapped what I felt like was appropriate for them, and let them have at it.

I'm sure there's a much easier, simpler solution to this, but this was what I came up with in the short time I had, and seems to work well for me for the moment.

- >>X<< - 2011-09-07

You cant exclude them from the main library XBMC creates it will always contain everything

What I did in the past is remove the main movie library from the main menu and create a new menu item Movies using a playlist which includes everything except those items I wanted excluded

- Ayala - 2011-09-07

>>X<<' Wrote:You cant exclude them from the main library XBMC creates it will always contain everything

What I did in the past is remove the main movie library from the main menu and create a new menu item Movies using a playlist which includes everything except those items I wanted excluded

that makes sense, I was about to do just that but how do I create a smart playlist that captures everything except family genre? I mean I could create one and list every genre except for family but I don't know if there's a finite list of genre items.

- &gt;&gt;X&lt;&lt; - 2011-09-07

You can use the rule "Genre" "Is not" or "Does not contain" "Family"

Did you create a playlist for your family movies because if you did you can also use the rule "Playlist" "Is not" "Family" (Where "Family" is this has to be the exact name of the playlist)

- Ayala - 2011-09-07

>>X<<' Wrote:You can use the rule "Genre" "Is not" or "Does not contain" "Family"

Did you create a playlist for your family movies because if you did you can also use the rule "Playlist" "Is not" "Family" (Where "Family" is this has to be the exact name of the playlist)

ah got it! thanks Wink

- Ayala - 2011-09-08

Partly sorted now, just have to figure out how to make the Recently Added script work with my mapped playlists, there's also no movie count on them either.

- jpargo - 2011-09-09

Ayala Wrote:Partly sorted now, just have to figure out how to make the Recently Added script work with my mapped playlists, there's also no movie count on them either.

This is the problem I had with playlist. It is not full solution to having different categories of movies. In my case I like to separate movies by language, but using playlist is not complete because many features are missing such as recently added, and less options for sorting the movies.

I don't know why its so difficult for there to be menus based on folder location. Let me know if you figure out solution to the recently added or having multiple options for sorting by date, added date, movie rating, etc.

- &gt;&gt;X&lt;&lt; - 2011-09-09

Ayala Wrote:Partly sorted now, just have to figure out how to make the Recently Added script work with my mapped playlists, there's also no movie count on them either.

Are you talking about recently added on home screen and library totals etc ?

When I replaced the original Movies with my Movies from the playlist I manually edited the skin XML I didn't do it through the skin custom menus option then you don't loose those functions

jpargo Wrote:I don't know why its so difficult for there to be menus based on folder location.

You can have menus based on folder location either using a playlist or adding the folder and using file mode although you loose movie info views then unless you use a nightly build

- Slizbury - 2011-09-09

@Ayala, I'm trying to accomplish something similar to you, see thread here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109623

I have basically one folder that contains all movies, and would also like the kids to only see a "segment" of those. What I wanted to do was just rename the kid movie filenames to contain a "[K]" or something like that, and then only show movies that contained [K] in them if a kid's profile was logged in (I'm using profiles in my case, obviously).

The advantage is not having to mess with a playlist and add/remove things, I can just rename a file. But maybe one is not necessarily harder than the other -- the solution above just seemed natural to me.

Anyway, as seen in the thread above I can "exclude" things based on a regular expression using the AdvancedSettings.xml file, but I can't seem to "only include" things based on a regular expression. I'll look at the smart playlists mentioned in this thread and see if there's something for me there.

Anyway, just putting out some more info for you coming from a similar situation, and hopefully we'll both have a solution soon. Smile

- &gt;&gt;X&lt;&lt; - 2011-09-09

Smart playlist are easy and only have to be done once after that you don't have to do anything

The best option for you whether you use playlists or profiles would be to have your kids movies in a separate folder especially if you go the profile route

Using a profile that uses exactly the same source as another profile and then trying to exclude certain movies makes the whole point of using a profile in the first place pointless