Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

- bluray - 2011-11-30

eskro Wrote:i believe all FM1 socketed mobo's have this feature...
Most AsRock FM1 mobos has it! Smile

- eskro - 2011-11-30

yes, might be a ASROCK FM1 thing tho

- Beer40oz - 2011-11-30

Wow Asrock FTW ! S5

- eskro - 2011-11-30

yes, ASROCK rocks!

and for the record, what we mean by S3 / S4 / S5

S3 --> SLEEP state
S4 --> HYBERNATE state
S5 --> TOTAL SHUTDOWN OFF state

- Beer40oz - 2011-11-30

Balinus Wrote:Here's the screenshot taken from my BIOS :

So far so good!

Wow thats the bios? thats pretty! Rolleyes

- eskro - 2011-11-30

thats really pretty indeed!

- Balinus - 2011-11-30

Beer40oz Wrote:Wow thats the bios? thats pretty! Rolleyes

Yes, sometimes I prefer to watch the BIOS than a movie! Wink Smile

- eskro - 2011-11-30

Balinus Wrote:Yes, sometimes I prefer to watch the BIOS than a movie! Wink Smile

mouahahahhha

- bluray - 2011-11-30

Beer40oz Wrote:Wow thats the bios? thats pretty! Rolleyes
I like the tweak option in AsRock bios too!

- Roman_V_M - 2011-11-30

Thank you, guys, for the info. I have the same AsRock Mini-ITX MoBo and my cheap Chinese remote also does the trick.

- eskro - 2011-11-30

Roman_V_M Wrote:Thank you, guys, for the info. I have the same AsRock Mini-ITX MoBo and my cheap Chinese remote also does the trick.

isnt that fantastic!?

- baldmosher - 2011-12-01

Kode Wrote:That sounds like an interesting solution.

Do you think it would be possible to use 2 and have each learn a different code? That way I could plug 1 into the wall with a strip into it and everything else attahced to the strip, and 1 into a strip with just the htpc attached, then have 1 activity set up called say "everything" which turns everything on / off and the HTPC device just does the htpc.
Yes, you can, obviously you'll then have two "power on" buttons - I have a One Click device for my home theatre setup, the amp controls the power, it's brilliant. It has one "always on" socket (laptop), one "master" socket (amp), and six "device" sockets which cut the power when the master is off.

If I can't find a board that does on/off from S5 via USB remote I will probably be purchasing another one for the HTPC so I can do this too - although then need to make sure I get a BIOS that boots from power off!

Funnily enough my very old ASRock Opteron board did that and "wake on USB" too - I wonder if these sorts of features are simply geared up mainly to AMD users??

voip-ninja Wrote:Okay, I have found something about the ASRock CIR that is probably a deal breaker for most of those here.

The whole time I had been testing it, I was just a few feet away from the sensor. As soon as I moved more than 5-6 feet away it completely stopped working. The range is terrible!
Would it be practical to use an extra-long USB cable to extend the sensor to nearer your couch perhaps? Laugh

- Nexxo - 2011-12-01

I noticed that it has been confirmed to allow USB remote boot (from S5) with ASRock A75M-ITX, has anyone been able to confirm if this works with the ASRock Z68M-ITX-HT?

The reason I ask as I'm putting together a new build, where I was going to use that motherboard, but heard that the CIR receiver it comes with is a bit dodgy and I might replace it with this one Hauppauge MCE Remote, a standard USB receiver. Which brings me to final question, will the receiver in ths remote package work?

Nexxo

- cyberdiamond - 2011-12-01

The cir receiver works well for me with the ASRock Z68M-ITX-HT

It will probably support it from a usb receiver as well because it has the usb charge option which is what keeps the usb port powered on after the system has shutdown.

- bluray - 2011-12-01

Nexxo Wrote:I noticed that it has been confirmed to allow USB remote boot (from S5) with ASRock A75M-ITX, has anyone been able to confirm if this works with the ASRock Z68M-ITX-HT?

The reason I ask as I'm putting together a new build, where I was going to use that motherboard, but heard that the CIR receiver it comes with is a bit dodgy and I might replace it with this one Hauppauge MCE Remote, a standard USB receiver. Which brings me to final question, will the receiver in ths remote package work?

Nexxo
Since this mobo has "Supports ASRock On/Off Play, Graphical UEFI, ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility (AXTU)" option, it'll probably work with any MCE IR/Remote with USB above eSata in the rear.