Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

- bluray - 2011-12-06

Nexxo Wrote:That was the first thing I checked and it is set to shutdown. Any other suggestions?
You might want to follow AsRock Installation Guide- Smart Remote and here is the driver- Z68M-ITX/HT.

- Nexxo - 2011-12-06

bluray Wrote:You might want to follow AsRock Installation Guide- Smart Remote and here is the driver- Z68M-ITX/HT.

Thanks, I'll update the driver when I get home and see if it makes any difference.

- Nexxo - 2011-12-08

No luck with getting the power toggle button to shut the PC down, it seems it executes what ever the default operation for 'sleep' is, which only gives me 2 options. Sleep or hibernation, which sucks Sad

- hick - 2011-12-08

http://www.hd-plex.com/remote.control.html
winner.

- Nexxo - 2011-12-08

Nexxo Wrote:No luck with getting the power toggle button to shut the PC down, it seems it executes what ever the default operation for 'sleep' is, which only gives me 2 options. Sleep or hibernation, which sucks Sad

Just fixed my own problem.... anyone else not able to shutdown check this thread out http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/186013-make-sleep-button-shut-down-windows-7-a.html

and inparticular install this software http://www.lmgestion.net/@en-us/4/22/60/article.asp

- voip-ninja - 2011-12-08

hick Wrote:http://www.hd-plex.com/remote.control.html
winner.

That's actually the most interesting thing I've seen in a while, since it basically does what the much more expensive options do, give a direct power up/down capability to the PCB card that has the IR on it.

However, it's not clear to me if this will allow you to simultaneously connect this IR device and the case power button at the same time, which would be a must for many of us.

Also not clear is what profile/command set the remote uses. There are a lot of these cheap devices out there that don't use the full/standard MCE6 command set.

//update;

OK, less enthused now. It would appear that in order for this to fully work you need a special power switch that includes a relay in it. They do not sell this separately, cryptically referring to it as only coming with one of their full chassis configurations.

Also, it requires breaking a 5V lead off from the PSU via jumper and connecting that to their IR 5V shunt to power the motherboard on from a cold state. This could involve potentially soldering the PSU as I don't think regular connectors (like the Molex connectors) could easily be used for this.

- voip-ninja - 2011-12-14

Just wanted to comment that I've ordered the Inteset CIR internal USB header and should have it this weekend. I will update the thread with comments on how well this works once I get it installed.

- eskro - 2011-12-15

sweet! looking forward to it voip!

- two_OH_five - 2011-12-15

My tuppence on Asrock

There's something a little bit sneaky going on with the H67 ITX board. I'm not entirely sure I know what it does but here's my experience :-

I cannot get the CIR port to work. I have the Nuovotron(sp) drivers installed under Win7 64 pro. In device manager I see the chipset registered (two devices IIRC)
When I plug in the CIR receiver it does nothing. Not with my Philips universal, the oem asrock remote, generic MCE remote. Just nothing. I tried swearing at it til I'm blue in the face but it just doesn't work Sad

On the other hand using my generic MCE remote in the correct rear USB port everything works nearly 100%

If I shutdown from windows then the PC shuts down as expected - there is no sign of the shutdown->wakeup->thrash->suspend cycle that's characteristic of the asrock instant on stuff (on my ION330 at least). Also that software is not installed as power button to XBMC is < 20 seconds anyway Big Grin

Pressing a button on the remote will bring the PC back to life running through the full windows boot sequence
So I think it's really going through the full shutdown procedure

Power on from cold however does not work for me. By this I mean power on from unplugged, completely de-powered. I see references to a G3 state in the bios configuration but I only knew S3 and S5 :confused2:
In this configuration I still see the remote receiver flashing away but the PC does not power on

So there's something special about the way it powers down. Maybe there's something still not 100% powered down on the mobo....... I'd suspect it's part of the mechanism that powers the whole instant on thing - probably a little hardware monitor that looks out for S5 state entry and does "stuff"

Overall I'm happy with the behaviour. I've configured the bios to power up from ac power loss as I work away from home Mon-Fri and use a remote power switch to kill the tv, amp, virgin box, receiver etc etc when I leave.
This means I can come back on Friday and just thumb the power button to bring everything up. After that I just use shutdown/remote to drive the PC

Other bios settings as per Balinus -> power on by keyboard/remote = enabled

If Eskro happens to read this....
I see some of what you saw with your new ATI card using my ATI 6570
When booting the windows logo doesn't finish coming together before it jumps to the windows desktop half way through the musical jingle thing. There's a brief pink flash during this transition.
I think it's down to the boot speed on mine as it looks like windows is carrying on to the desktop and switching resolutions before the ATI drivers have fully loaded. Can't say it worries me though.

This was not apparent with a GT430 but the boot time was slower

Me2! - pike - 2011-12-15

voip-ninja Wrote:Just wanted to comment that I've ordered the Inteset CIR internal USB header and should have it this weekend. I will update the thread with comments on how well this works once I get it installed.

hehe, I ordered one some week ago and got it this week:

I will try and put it it a box with a small hole and check how good it works before I drill a hole in my htpc chassi Smile Shocked

- bluray - 2011-12-15

two_OH_five Wrote:I cannot get the CIR port to work. I have the Nuovotron(sp) drivers installed under Win7 64 pro. In device manager I see the chipset registered (two devices IIRC)

When I plug in the CIR receiver it does nothing. Not with my Philips universal, the oem asrock remote, generic MCE remote. Just nothing. I tried swearing at it til I'm blue in the face but it just doesn't work Sad
You might want to find more info on it here- Smart Remote. If you need a CIR driver, you can get it from here- H67M-ITX/HT.

- Balinus - 2011-12-15

pike Wrote:I will try and put it it a box with a small hole and check how good it works before I drill a hole in my htpc chassi Smile Shocked

Not a bad idea Smile

- voip-ninja - 2011-12-15

two_OH_five Wrote:My tuppence on Asrock

There's something a little bit sneaky going on with the H67 ITX board. I'm not entirely sure I know what it does but here's my experience :-

Hmmm.. strange. I have this same model motherboard and I have gotten the CIR header working with the ASRock branded CIR adapter. My issue with the ASRock unit was the short range and the fact that it did not lend itself to internal installation.

Are you using another manufacturer's CIR? The pinout on the ASRock boards is not the same, so if you are trying to use a different make/model CIR you probably have to repin the USB header if you want it to work correctly.

- lrusak - 2011-12-15

lrusak Wrote:I'll try waking it up from a cold boot when I get home. I usually only sleep it though (when I shutdown it just sleeps and doesn't fully shutdown).

So as of right now I can confirm that it will put the machine to sleep and wake it up from sleep.

I can confirm that it DOESN'T wake from a cold boot. It only wakes from sleep.

- EGOvoruhk - 2011-12-16

For those using ASRock boards and CIR, do you need to use the ASRock branded remote for all CIR stuff? I was looking at their E350M1 board, but I only want the CIR stuff for turning the machine on. I figured I'd train a remote rather than buy theirs just to turn it on