Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

- voip-ninja - 2011-12-19

bluray Wrote:Shut down is the easiest part, and cold start is the hardest part! Smile

Cold start seems to be working perfectly, I would just like a more elegant shut down procedure where when "power off" is sent from the remote, Windows will shut down.

Seems like it should be doable, I even find discussions mentioning changing IR codes to do it, but then the threads they reference don't exist because those forums no longer exist.

Anyways, I'm sure I will find a way of doing it eventually.

- bluray - 2011-12-19

voip-ninja Wrote:Cold start seems to be working perfectly, I would just like a more elegant shut down procedure where when "power off" is sent from the remote, Windows will shut down.
Okay, good luck on it! Smile

- Amelandbor - 2011-12-19

Balinus Wrote:Well, it seems to be related to the front USB ports. It stopped working after I used a mouse on the front port for something=stopped working. Then, 3 weeks later, I plugged in an external USB HDD and transfered some files. After that, it was working again.... until I plugged in a USB game pad some days later! Since then, it no longer works! So, I'll try with another USB device in the near future to see if it works again!.

But, as i plan to use the game pad for emulation, I might not spend too much time on this feature, unless I find a solution that permanently work.

In the end, for HTPC purpose only, I guess it'll work flawlessly if you don't plug USB devices.

Hmm, weird. Well I'll try it in a month or so and see how it goes.

- two_OH_five - 2011-12-19

Balinus Wrote:Well, it seems to be related to the front USB ports. It stopped working after I used a mouse on the front port for something=stopped working. Then, 3 weeks later, I plugged in an external USB HDD and transfered some files. After that, it was working again.... until I plugged in a USB game pad some days later! Since then, it no longer works! So, I'll try with another USB device in the near future to see if it works again!.

But, as i plan to use the game pad for emulation, I might not spend too much time on this feature, unless I find a solution that permanently work.

In the end, for HTPC purpose only, I guess it'll work flawlessly if you don't plug USB devices.

This is also my experience Huh

It works OK until I plug in my keybaord to tweak a BIOS setting. Then power up stops working.
I find complete shutdown, unplug mains cable makes things work again

After discovering this I now find I can power on from unplugged without issue. Something about having a KB plugged in seemed to have broken this for me

CIR receiver is still not working for me though - I think I might have plugged it into USB by mistake so it might be self inflicted Angry

- bluray - 2011-12-22

I thought someone might be interesting in this idea- Infrared Plug Adapter Wireless IR Remote Converter.

- voip-ninja - 2011-12-22

bluray Wrote:I thought someone might be interesting in this idea- Infrared Plug Adapter Wireless IR Remote Converter.

That just works like a power switch, which means when it turns "off" it will not shut the PC down but power it down hard.

While it is dirt cheap, it seems like a particularly bad idea.

- bluray - 2011-12-22

voip-ninja Wrote:That just works like a power switch, which means when it turns "off" it will not shut the PC down but power it down hard.

While it is dirt cheap, it seems like a particularly bad idea.
Yes, believe it or not it will power down and power up HTPC with remote controller the old fashion way! Smile

- Nexxo - 2011-12-22

I thought I would just update people on my experience with the CIR Asrock receiver / remote with the Z68M-ITX/HT motherboard.

It is still working for me, but the responsiveness of the remote seems to be getting worse and worse. For instance initially it seemed I could be pointing the remote anyway and it would pick up the signal, where as now I generally have to press the button a few times before it registers Sad

The powering on from shut down is still working for me.

These problems are not a huge deal breaker for myself as I know I just have to press the button a few more times or press the power button again if it does not turn on. However my gf does not extremely happy with it.

In conclusion I think the CIR reciever is not 100% gf compatible!

I think I might order one of those HP receivers and see how that goes.

- eskro - 2011-12-22

maybe the remote works better when batteries are new Tongue

- Nexxo - 2011-12-22

eskro Wrote:maybe the remote works better when batteries are new Tongue

Haha probabaly should of added that I'm using the harmony remote. I'll recharge it up (it is not yet complaining about the batteries) and see if it makes a difference.

- eskro - 2011-12-22

well i know that the CIR receiver from ASROCK isnt really top noch...

- Nexxo - 2011-12-22

eskro Wrote:well i know that the CIR receiver from ASROCK isnt really top noch...

Agreed!!

I just ordered a HP IR MCE2005 USB reciever for $10 from ebay.... fingers crossed this is better!

- eskro - 2011-12-22

it'll be perfect with your HArmony!

its even listed in my XBMC REMOTE thread Here

item [4]

Smile

- EGOvoruhk - 2011-12-22

Nexxo Wrote:Agreed!!

I just ordered a HP IR MCE2005 USB reciever for $10 from ebay.... fingers crossed this is better!

So any MCE receiver will work with the onboard CIR for sending power on/off commands? It doesn't need to be some specially CIR designed one?

- voip-ninja - 2011-12-22

Nexxo Wrote:I thought I would just update people on my experience with the CIR Asrock receiver / remote with the Z68M-ITX/HT motherboard.

It is still working for me, but the responsiveness of the remote seems to be getting worse and worse. For instance initially it seemed I could be pointing the remote anyway and it would pick up the signal, where as now I generally have to press the button a few times before it registers Sad

The powering on from shut down is still working for me.

These problems are not a huge deal breaker for myself as I know I just have to press the button a few more times or press the power button again if it does not turn on. However my gf does not extremely happy with it.

In conclusion I think the CIR reciever is not 100% gf compatible!

I think I might order one of those HP receivers and see how that goes.

Interestingly enough, the last time I tried to use mine, it smoked (literally) and was destroyed.

It's a POS, no two ways about it.

Instead of getting the HP I would recommend getting the Inteset CIR USB internal IR receiver. If you have the moderate skills needed to re-pin the cable header you can plug it in to the CIR port on the ASRock motherboard and it will give you the benefit of cold power on as well as very good range and responsiveness, similar to the HP USB IR.

It's about $20 plus shipping. I am very very happy with it, as it's installed internally in my Wesena case and I am using an IR relay (Xanotech) to boost signal to it with a small IR eye that is glued to the front of the case. It's working fantastic now.