Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

- Balinus - 2011-12-22

voip-ninja Wrote:Interestingly enough, the last time I tried to use mine, it smoked (literally) and was destroyed.

It's a POS, no two ways about it.

Instead of getting the HP I would recommend getting the Inteset CIR USB internal IR receiver. If you have the moderate skills needed to re-pin the cable header you can plug it in to the CIR port on the ASRock motherboard and it will give you the benefit of cold power on as well as very good range and responsiveness, similar to the HP USB IR.

It's about $20 plus shipping. I am very very happy with it, as it's installed internally in my Wesena case and I am using an IR relay (Xanotech) to boost signal to it with a small IR eye that is glued to the front of the case. It's working fantastic now.

We want pictures! Smile

I might be interested as I also have a small window for internal IR receiver!

- voip-ninja - 2011-12-22

Balinus Wrote:We want pictures! Smile

I might be interested as I also have a small window for internal IR receiver!

Does your motherboard support CIR? If not, then I have basically the exact same unit, just without CIR, which I could sell to you dirt cheap.

- Balinus - 2011-12-22

voip-ninja Wrote:Does your motherboard support CIR? If not, then I have basically the exact same unit, just without CIR, which I could sell to you dirt cheap.

yes my MB support CIR, but so far I'm not interested in the Asrock CIR solution.

Balinus Wrote:yes my MB support CIR, but so far I'm not interested in the Asrock CIR solution.

Then I would definitely recommend the Inteset receiver;

http://shop.inteset.com/Products/5-ir-receiver-wcable-and-custom-mounting-bracket-for-intel-cir-motherboards.aspx

It does require that you re-pin the header since it's pinned out for intel motherboards.

Using a jeweler's screw drivers to pop the pins out and then re-arrange them (or install them in another header if you have a spare one) is not too difficult if you're somewhat handy.

It works really well too. I just used some double sided foam tape to attach it to my chassis behind the IR window, plugged in the re-pinned header and "voila" cold power boot up is working and all MCE commands are working smoothly. Speed is very good too.

- Balinus - 2011-12-22

voip-ninja Wrote:Then I would definitely recommend the Inteset receiver;

http://shop.inteset.com/Products/5-ir-receiver-wcable-and-custom-mounting-bracket-for-intel-cir-motherboards.aspx

It does require that you re-pin the header since it's pinned out for intel motherboards.

Using a jeweler's screw drivers to pop the pins out and then re-arrange them (or install them in another header if you have a spare one) is not too difficult if you're somewhat handy.

It works really well too. I just used some double sided foam tape to attach it to my chassis behind the IR window, plugged in the re-pinned header and "voila" cold power boot up is working and all MCE commands are working smoothly. Speed is very good too.

ok, thanks for th details! I'll see about that later though, as I'm not sure I have all the tools and manual skills Smile

- thaiboxer - 2011-12-22

voip-ninja Wrote:Then I would definitely recommend the Inteset receiver;

Could you please post how to rearrange the wires on the inteset usb cir? I have a srock motherboard...

Thanks!

thaiboxer Wrote:Could you please post how to rearrange the wires on the inteset usb cir? I have a srock motherboard...

Thanks!

From the Inteset forums is the pinout you need;

http://shop.inteset.com/Boards/Topic.aspx?TopicID=75

I would recommend PRINTING the page from the ASRock motherboard that labels the CIR pins and orienting it properly when you pin it out so that you don't end up doing it backwards (and possibly frying something).

After you get it installed, you still need to install the ASRock CIR driver, from the ASRock download section for your model of motherboard.

Also worth mentioning, now that I remember it, is that the header that comes with the Inteset board has one of the pin positions glued shut, so you WILL need another dual position header you can use to re-pin that has enough open pins to use (pretty much any firewire or USB header should work).

Good luck!

- Balinus - 2011-12-22

Thanks for the link, it is much clearer now. At least for me!

The relevant section is here, for archival purposes;

inteset dudes Wrote:Inteset "Gnd" (black wire) to ASrock Cir "Gnd" pin
Inteset "LED" (Grey wire) to Asrock Cir "IRtx" pin
Inteset "NC" (White Wire) is unused fold back and isolate with electrical tape.
Inteset "Learn-In" (Yellow Wire) is unused fold back and isolate with electrical tape.
Inteset "5v-Standby" (Red wire) to Asrock "ATX+5Vsb" pin
Inteset "Vcc" (Orange/Brownish Wire) to Asrock "USB Power" pin
Inteset "CIR Input" (Green Wire) to Asrock "IRrx" pin

- bluray - 2011-12-22

Balinus Wrote:I'm not sure I have all the tools and manual skills Smile
This is the part of electronics that I like the most "wiring, blowing up stuff, etc. Smile". By looking at AsRock and Inteset CIR options, it should be very simple to install it with any Jeweler's screwdriver:

If you live close by, I let you borrow my Jeweler's screwdriver. I have several set in my tool cases! Smile

- thaiboxer - 2011-12-22

voip-ninja Wrote:The relevant section is here, for archival purposes;

Perfect thanks! Im using openelec, and someone said on they're forums that the smart remote works out of the box, so no need for the drivers.

Thanks again!

- Balinus - 2011-12-22

bluray Wrote:If you live close by, I let you borrow my Jeweler's screwdriver. I have several set in my tool cases! Smile

Thanks! But that won't be necessary as I think I have these kind of screwdrivers somewhere! Just didn't knew they were "Jeweler's screwdrivers"!

Next upgrade then Smile

- bluray - 2011-12-22

Balinus Wrote:Thanks! But that won't be necessary as I think I have these kind of screwdrivers somewhere! Just didn't knew they were "Jeweler's screwdrivers"!

Next upgrade then Smile
For me, I still preferred the old school by pressing the power button to turn on HTPC. I usually presses 3 buttons (HTPC, HDTV and AVR) in a single trip to my entertainment center stand. It's good exercise! Smile

Seriously, I think that Inteset is a great solution! Smile

- eskro - 2011-12-22

bluray Wrote:Seriously, I think that Inteset is a great solution! Smile

agreed! specially since it just works!

- Nexxo - 2011-12-23

voip-ninja Wrote:Interestingly enough, the last time I tried to use mine, it smoked (literally) and was destroyed.

It's a POS, no two ways about it.

Instead of getting the HP I would recommend getting the Inteset CIR USB internal IR receiver. If you have the moderate skills needed to re-pin the cable header you can plug it in to the CIR port on the ASRock motherboard and it will give you the benefit of cold power on as well as very good range and responsiveness, similar to the HP USB IR.

It's about $20 plus shipping. I am very very happy with it, as it's installed internally in my Wesena case and I am using an IR relay (Xanotech) to boost signal to it with a small IR eye that is glued to the front of the case. It's working fantastic now.

If I'm not happy with the HP receiver I will definitly be getting the inteset CIR one. I'm a computer engineer so re-pinning the header cable is not going to be a problem... just last night I made an extension header cable for the front io pins for the case (power button, power led, etc) as the Z68m-ITX/HT has the header located on the far side of the motherboard and the case wires couldn't reach.

EGOvoruhk Wrote:So any MCE receiver will work with the onboard CIR for sending power on/off commands? It doesn't need to be some specially CIR designed one?

Yes it will, it does not plug into the CIR port but just one of the rear USB ports. If you look earlier through this thread you will see details about it.