Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

- bluray - 2012-01-03

pike Wrote:So today I connected my inteset CIR adapter to my intel DH67CF motherboard.

What works: Control XBMC once the htpc is powered on

what does not work: wake up NOR power up htpc.

Consumer IR is enabled in BIOS, I can't find any other option...
Does your Intel mobo have very similar options are this AsRock wiring?

Inteset "Gnd" (black wire) to ASrock Cir "Gnd" pin
Inteset "LED" (Grey wire) to Asrock Cir "IRtx" pin
Inteset "NC" (White Wire) is unused fold back and isolate with electrical tape.
Inteset "Learn-In" (Yellow Wire) is unused fold back and isolate with electrical tape.
Inteset "5v-Standby" (Red wire) to Asrock "ATX+5Vsb" pin
Inteset "Vcc" (Orange/Brownish Wire) to Asrock "USB Power" pin
Inteset "CIR Input" (Green Wire) to Asrock "IRrx" pin

- pike - 2012-01-03

bluray, the inteset device was made for the Intel media motherboards. no hacks or otherwise should be needed

- bluray - 2012-01-03

pike Wrote:bluray, the inteset device was made for the Intel media motherboards. no hacks or otherwise should be needed
You might have to contact Inteset to find out why it wouldn't allow you to wake up and turn on your HTPC then! Isn't it that is the idea?

- eskro - 2012-01-03

best to ask on FLIRC's forum svtfmook but yes, it can be done

- bluray - 2012-01-03

pike Wrote:bluray, the inteset device was made for the Intel media motherboards. no hacks or otherwise should be needed
You might want to visit Inteset site for answer, and [email protected] seem to be brain there. Here are two threads related to Inteset and Intel board- Problem with power on from Remote with CIR IR receiver and Intel MB and CIR not working. Smile

- Nexxo - 2012-01-04

bluray Wrote:You'll be very happy with HP IR and Z68m-ITX/HT "ASRock On/Off Play" option. HP IR is very responsive and have good ranges too. But for those without "ASRock On/Off Play" option, Inteset with CIR option is a great choice!

EGOvoruhk Wrote:Nexxo, any chance you can do some testing on your board for us? Maybe give us a little spreadsheet/diagram of what works and what doesn't?

Update on my Asrock Z68m-ITX/HT experience.

I got my HP USB IR receiver yesterday, hooked it up and I am very impressed with the responsiveness. I can point the remote pretty much anywhere in the room and it picks it up.

I have however not been able to get the boot from HP IR working Sad The HP IR is getting power as when I press a button on the remote it's recognised on the HP IR (Red light lights up), but it does not power on. I have tested all USB ports by manually turning it on and shutting it down before testing with no luck.

I am able to boot from my PS/2 keyboard or USB mouse that are connected, by hitting any key. So I know the boot from USB is working.

My temporary solution has been to keep the CIR receiver plugged in to the front USB/CIR slot to allow for boot up, while keeping the HP IR plugged in as well. This gives great performance once turned on using the HP IR, but requires you to directly point the remote at the CIR receiver to turn it on.

Anyone got any ideas for getting the HP USB IR to boot?

- hcabrita - 2012-01-11

Any ideas on how to boot from cold, using a MCE Remote with the usb receiver it brings along?
cheers

- bluray - 2012-01-11

Nexxo Wrote:Update on my Asrock Z68m-ITX/HT experience.

I got my HP USB IR receiver yesterday, hooked it up and I am very impressed with the responsiveness. I can point the remote pretty much anywhere in the room and it picks it up.

I have however not been able to get the boot from HP IR working Sad The HP IR is getting power as when I press a button on the remote it's recognised on the HP IR (Red light lights up), but it does not power on. I have tested all USB ports by manually turning it on and shutting it down before testing with no luck.
Yes, HP USB IR is very responsive. I got two of it. Unfortunately, your Z68M-Itx/ht doesn't have the latest Instant Flash <1. Update CPU code. 2. Improve USB mouse function.> bios update as the FM1 A75M mobo. It need these updates to use power on/off with the rear USB 2.0 ports. It seems that AsRock have get around to it. You might want to email AsRock to find out why!

- bluray - 2012-01-11

hcabrita Wrote:Any ideas on how to boot from cold, using a MCE Remote with the usb receiver it brings along?
cheers
If your AsRock mobo have the "Supports On/Off Play Technology" option with the latest Instant Flash bios, you can try it with one of the rear USB port.

- eskro - 2012-01-11

as Balinus said,
as long as your asrock mobo supports "On/Off Play Technology"
once enabled in the BIOS
u can use any USB2.0 ports (front + rear) to boot from cold....

from what he said, USB3 doesnt work.

- hcabrita - 2012-01-11

ok I'll have a look at what BIOS version I have on the board. It's an asrock a75m-hvs, but I bough it second hand a few days ago, and don't know if the BIOS is updated. probably not.

Will try the USB2.0. I think I connected the IR receiver to a USB3.0...

Thanks for the reply.

- bluray - 2012-01-11

hcabrita Wrote:ok I'll have a look at what BIOS version I have on the board. It's an asrock a75m-hvs, but I bough it second hand a few days ago, and don't know if the BIOS is updated. probably not.

Will try the USB2.0. I think I connected the IR receiver to a USB3.0...

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately, your AsRock A75M-HVS don't have "Supports On/Off Play Technology" option! No

- leftywhat - 2012-01-14

Wait, are people saying the MCE/USB IR Receiver works when you set wake on USB (only for USB 2.0 ports), but once you connect a keyboard, it doesn't work?

Disappointing if true... as I'm still going to use a keyboard/mouse to surf net (via XBMC using Adv.Launcher to open up a browser etc) and for some FPS games.

- r1lee - 2012-01-14

eskro Wrote:as Balinus said,
as long as your asrock mobo supports "On/Off Play Technology"
once enabled in the BIOS
u can use any USB2.0 ports (front + rear) to boot from cold....

from what he said, USB3 doesnt work.

Do you know what the keystroke is?
I have the Asrock A74M-HVS FM1 which has the option in the BIOS to wakeup on USB Keyboard/Remote

I can't seem to get her to wake up, any ideas?

I tried setting the following keystrokes and neither worked. "Enter" and "Power Toggle".

- r1lee - 2012-01-14

bluray Wrote:Unfortunately, your AsRock A75M-HVS don't have "Supports On/Off Play Technology" option! No

really? but it has the Power on from USB Keyboard/Remote option in the bios.

Ok, well it works with a keyboard from S5. I figured out that if i have the keyboard attached, The space bar will turn it on.

With the HP IR Receiver in and I map the Harmony to send ON as "spacebar" it doesn't work Sad would have totally bought an ITX instead.

Update: ok, after powering the computer from cold. Then turned off, almost any keyboard stroke will turn the computer on. But no matter what I map the Harmony remote to, it still doesn't work.