Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

- voip-ninja - 2012-01-31

eskro Wrote:yeah but still, i just need to avoid going out on a friday night and
i can buy like 5 keyEXTENDER licenses Tongue

You need to stop drinking 12 year old scotch and start drinking cheap american bourbon.

Smile

- Balinus - 2012-01-31

For shutdown, I just use this "trick" :

In keyboard.xml I add this line :

<y>ShutDown</y>

Then, in EventGhost I add a macro under XBMC folder. The macro is to emulate the keystroke "y" and assign the remote button that you want to use for shutdown.

By pressing the button on the remote, it shuts down the computer. If I'm not in XBMC, I just press the "green" button of my MCE remote, which loads XBMC, then I press the remote button assigned to "y".

So, with that, I can shutdown the HTPC from any situations, even if the TV is not opened.

- eskro - 2012-01-31

true Balinus, but its still done from within XBMC
and needs you to push 2 buttons Tongue
let alone configure macro/eventghost/keyboard.xml

i might reach the developper and ask them for discount price for XBMC users!
(idea from voip)

- bluray - 2012-01-31

If you have something similar to this "Lenovo Enhanced Multimedia Remote with backlit keyboard N5902 New", you should be able to shut down HTPC the same way as USB mouse. No messy codes required!

- r1lee - 2012-01-31

voip-ninja Wrote:No, that's not correct.

Whether or not the option is set in XBMC to 'shutdown the PC' when the shutdown option is selected, the default choice when the 's' key is pressed is EXIT which will not shut anything down, it will just exit to windows. This is why you also have to do an arrow down and then an enter.

Before I added the pause about 10% or so of the time the keys would be transmitted from the Harmony too quickly (default I think is a very tight 30ms) and XBMC would miss one or more of them leaving it stranded without shutting down.

The option to change the IR speed was not one I wanted to look into since I was very happy otherwise with inter-key delay, etc, with my setup.

again, i have no clue what your XBMC is doing. But here's a video I just put together. One is when I press S, it will show that my Shutdown is the one that is highlighted, all i have to do is press enter after that.

in the video, you will see my PC Shut down completely, since that is the sequence on my harmony, S then Enter. If it exited XBMC, the lights to the PC would still be on.

I might not be as experienced as some of you guys when it comes to XBMC, but i don't seem to have this issue you are experiencing.

but yeah, if you have a solution that works, then it's the best solution for you. But to say that he Harmony is incapable of doing this is wrong. I've done mine with no delay, and if you see the angle that i'm currently sitting form the Tv, the HP USB IR still picks it up easily.

Video
http://youtu.be/yfPPPW8Q5rw

- eskro - 2012-01-31

thanks for the video r1lee Smile

- Balinus - 2012-01-31

eskro Wrote:true Balinus, but its still done from within XBMC
and needs you to push 2 buttons Tongue
let alone configure macro/eventghost/keyboard.xml

True, but saving 20$ for 3min of work, that's 400$/hr salary! Wink

Anyway, I still agree that eventghost is complicated, but it can do everything on a computer... for free. Though, I reckon I had to read some "how-to's" to learn Eventghost.

This guide did the trick, fairly easy : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=48667&highlight=remote

- eskro - 2012-01-31

yes i've read that same guide, described good.

bluray Wrote:If you have something similar to this "Lenovo Enhanced Multimedia Remote with backlit keyboard N5902 New", you should be able to shut down HTPC the same way as USB mouse. No messy codes required!

Are you talking about picking up the keyboard and shutting down manually? Ick.

- bluray - 2012-01-31

voip-ninja Wrote:Are you talking about picking up the keyboard and shutting down manually? Ick.
What you are looking at in the link is a very compact keyboard/mouse/remote in a single unit!

bluray Wrote:What you are looking at in the link is a very compact keyboard/mouse/remote in a single unit!

Yes, I have a similar tiny kb/mouse from another manufacturer. It is still a hassle compared to using the "power down" button on the Harmony remote and having it shut down the PC, amps, TV, etc, all with a single button press.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

- bluray - 2012-01-31

voip-ninja Wrote:Yes, I have a similar tiny kb/mouse from another manufacturer. It is still a hassle compared to using the "power down" button on the Harmony remote and having it shut down the PC, amps, TV, etc, all with a single button press.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
I used to have Harmony remote to power my PC, AVR, TV, Roll down the screen, etc, but I missed my old habit of having multiple remote controllers for everything. I sold the Harmony, and I went back to individual remote for each component again. I'm a remote controller person....!Smile

- r1lee - 2012-01-31

bluray Wrote:I used to have Harmony remote to power my PC, AVR, TV, Roll down the screen, etc, but I missed my old habit of having multiple remote controllers for everything. I sold the Harmony, and I went back to individual remote for each component again. I'm a remote controller person....!Smile

Most of the time its the Wife factor that requires the use of a Harmony.

I'm ok with a few remotes also, as they have their purpose, without having to scroll through the harmony menu or mapping keys.

But when I was my inlaws house and my father in law's table had 7 remotes, that's when enough is enough lol.

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-01

r1lee Wrote:again, i have no clue what your XBMC is doing. But here's a video I just put together. One is when I press S, it will show that my Shutdown is the one that is highlighted, all i have to do is press enter after that.

in the video, you will see my PC Shut down completely, since that is the sequence on my harmony, S then Enter. If it exited XBMC, the lights to the PC would still be on.

I might not be as experienced as some of you guys when it comes to XBMC, but i don't seem to have this issue you are experiencing.

but yeah, if you have a solution that works, then it's the best solution for you. But to say that he Harmony is incapable of doing this is wrong. I've done mine with no delay, and if you see the angle that i'm currently sitting form the Tv, the HP USB IR still picks it up easily.

Video
http://youtu.be/yfPPPW8Q5rw

Okay, my shutdown menu looks nothing like that, so I suspect I'm using a different key than you are or there is some other configuration difference. The shutdown menu I see in your video is like the one I used to get on older builds of Dharma, but not in Eden.

Maybe I will post my own youtube video to demonstrate.

//edit

Okay, I now understand the discrepancy. The behavior I am describing is with the Aeon skin. I've used this skin for so long I sometimes forget it's not the default XBMC skin.

So, for whatever reason, in Aeon, it does not do what it does in Confluence.

Yet another reason not to use a macro to do the shutdown, different skins can have different results with the same macro commands.

Remote Key Extender for the win.

- eskro - 2012-02-01

KeyExtender FTW!!!