Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

- r1lee - 2012-02-01

voip-ninja Wrote:Okay, my shutdown menu looks nothing like that, so I suspect I'm using a different key than you are or there is some other configuration difference. The shutdown menu I see in your video is like the one I used to get on older builds of Dharma, but not in Eden.

Maybe I will post my own youtube video to demonstrate.

//edit

Okay, I now understand the discrepancy. The behavior I am describing is with the Aeon skin. I've used this skin for so long I sometimes forget it's not the default XBMC skin.

So, for whatever reason, in Aeon, it does not do what it does in Confluence.

Yet another reason not to use a macro to do the shutdown, different skins can have different results with the same macro commands.

Remote Key Extender for the win.

I had a feeling that this was going to be the case and was thinking why yours was different. I was going to attempt to do the switch to aeon but now you've given me a reason not to. Confluence offers me enough of what i need.

- voip-ninja - 2012-02-01

But Aeon is so tasty and beyootiful! (especially if you've got fast enough hardware to run it well)

- Balinus - 2012-02-01

Shades is a nice skin Smile

- eskro - 2012-02-01

Aeon is hard to replace,,, i really tried :/

closest skin to replace was NIGHT...

- bluray - 2012-02-01

r1lee Wrote:But when I was my inlaws house and my father in law's table had 7 remotes, that's when enough is enough lol.
7 remotes is nothing compare to what I have in my house.

I enjoy seeing a lot of remote controllers on the caddy....! Laugh

- eskro - 2012-02-01

cant live without ma hardmoney

- bluray - 2012-02-01

eskro Wrote:cant live without ma hardmoney
For some reason, I don't miss it....Shocked

- eskro - 2012-02-01

i do, just finished a movie, and i already miss my harmony

- r1lee - 2012-02-01

voip-ninja Wrote:But Aeon is so tasty and beyootiful! (especially if you've got fast enough hardware to run it well)

i would love to, but then i would lose the control of the harmony to shut off and i'm really not interested in learning anything new at this point. I'm just tired of this build and i got a few more things to worry about before I attempt to change skins.

- daffeh - 2012-02-01

I just built a mediacenter with the Asrock A55 Pro3 FM1 mobo.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=A55%20Pro3
It has the On/Off play thing.
If I buy an MCE remote, will I be able to boot this little thing using my Logitech Harmony 900 (RF extended)?

edit: I don't want to sound lazy. I read the entire thread but I'm still not quite sure. I went from trying to go CIR to this method. I haven't bought the MCE remote yet so I'm looking for 'the correct one'
I do have a HP Win7 remote taht came with my TouchSmart D610. But I don't have a separate receiver for that. All that was in the box was a receiver to put into the IR blaster out and an usb receiver for the keyboard & mouse. Does that D610 have it built in or does it use the keyboard and mouse receiver?

- bluray - 2012-02-01

@Daffeh- I'm not familar with D610 but you might need an IR in this package "OEM HP MCE KIT REMOTE CONTROL/USB IR RECEIVER/EMITTER" in order for your HP remote to work with another HTPC....

daffeh Wrote:I just built a mediacenter with the Asrock A55 Pro3 FM1 mobo.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=A55%20Pro3
It has the On/Off play thing.
If I buy an MCE remote, will I be able to boot this little thing using my Logitech Harmony 900 (RF extended)?

edit: I don't want to sound lazy. I read the entire thread but I'm still not quite sure. I went from trying to go CIR to this method. I haven't bought the MCE remote yet so I'm looking for 'the correct one'
I do have a HP Win7 remote taht came with my TouchSmart D610. But I don't have a separate receiver for that. All that was in the box was a receiver to put into the IR blaster out and an usb receiver for the keyboard & mouse. Does that D610 have it built in or does it use the keyboard and mouse receiver?

CIR is the only 100% sure way of cold booting the PC without doing even more creative stuff like installing a separate IR power relay.

Yes, some motherboards can "wake/boot" from USB devices, but from reading user comments it does not sound particularly reliable.

- daffeh - 2012-02-01

bluray Wrote:@Daffeh- I'm not familar with D610 but you might need an IR in this package "OEM HP MCE KIT REMOTE CONTROL/USB IR RECEIVER/EMITTER" in order for your HP remote to work with another HTPC....
Yeah, when I get home I'm going to test if that MCE remote just works with my D610 without plugging anything in. If so, i need to get my hands on a cheap MCE with a decent IR receiver.

- daffeh - 2012-02-01

voip-ninja Wrote:CIR is the only 100% sure way of cold booting the PC without doing even more creative stuff like installing a separate IR power relay.

Yes, some motherboards can "wake/boot" from USB devices, but from reading user comments it does not sound particularly reliable.
But I can't find CIR hardware near here (Belgium). Shipping rates go nuts.
If I test the wake on USB with my wireless keyboard (& usb dongle) and it works, then it will also work with a harmony/mce receiver?

daffeh Wrote:But I can't find CIR hardware near here (Belgium). Shipping rates go nuts.
If I test the wake on USB with my wireless keyboard (& usb dongle) and it works, then it will also work with a harmony/mce receiver?

Sure, I don't see why it wouldn't.