Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Re: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - swan14 - 2012-10-12

I feared this may be the case! (other than a whole lot of Linux command lines which are beyond me)

What is a viable solution? Flirc?

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - eskro - 2012-10-12

apparently FLIRC works but i cant confirm you at what extent.. u may ask on their official forum.

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - truthlesshero - 2012-10-12

(2012-09-19, 09:58)henningdalgaard Wrote: Has anyone tried this? It looks like the perfect product.

The PCS-MA

Power switching and media control, all-in-one.
No drivers required. Win/Linux compatible.
Use your own MCE (RC6), universal (set to MCE RC6), or Harmony remote (set to MCE RC6).
External IR receiver head on 6 foot cable -- full or short height slot plate, your choice.
Included USB cable connects to external USB PC plug for fast, reliable installation.
Three internal power connection options available.

$49 + Shipping

good suggestion...i'd also like to know if this works 'cause this might be the perfect solution
no drilling holes, no need for a special motherboard...just plug this in, get an MCE remote of your choice, and boom, powers the htpc on and off with any remote...

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - eskro - 2012-10-12

a bit pricey there but, looks decent.
requires an xpension slot on the back of your case tho.
i can easily see this in the famous 5400K-PACK build Tongue

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - truthlesshero - 2012-10-13

agreed that it's more expensive than their other PCS...but for those who'd rather not drill or basically do any work other than building the htpc (i've had enough headaches getting everything to run the way i want...hehe), this could be an awesome solution if the build is already done... (like mine, i have the new parts, just not put together yet)

funny you mention the 5400k... that's exactly what i'm swapping in mine..hopefully it'll kick out some extra juice

but yeah, it does require a slot in the back...but takes no room in the case and it's just a matter of connecting the...err..um..connectors

i'm going to contact them and make sure it's al it's supposed to do and i'll order it and let everyone know...

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - eskro - 2012-10-13

thats perfect, let us know how it goes!!

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - froz - 2012-10-14

I have an ASROCK H77M that has the CIR header and plan on using my harmony one to control it. I'm looking into that intel cir receiver in the first post.

Question: Does the header/remote combo understand discrete power on/off commands or it just a power toggle?

Thanks!

Re: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - swan14 - 2012-10-15

I recently bought the Inteset CIR for my intel mobo, it works fine in conjunction with W7 but I can't get it going with XBMCbuntu which is what I'm running

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - truthlesshero - 2012-10-15

Just to let everyone know, i got a response from SIMEREC:

"Hi,

Yes, the PCS-M handles both power on/off via the 2-pin connector on the motherboard, and handles MCE/RC6 control via USB. There is a Molex 4-pin pass-through power connector that allows the PCS-M to determine the power state of the PC for proper switching. By default, the PCS-M draws power from a single splice connection to the ATX power supply. However, if your PC has a USB connection that supplies power even when the PC is off, then we can supply you with a version of PCS-M that draws power from the same USB connection used for the MCE/RC6 control -- eliminating the need for a splice connection or ATX power supply. Note that the PCS-M is supplied with a short USB cable to connect to a rear, external USB plug.

Currenlty, the PCS-M can only be ordered by contacting us by email, and the next batch will ship early next week.

Thanks, and contact any time."

so i think i'm going to order one...i don't think my pc drives power to my usb while the computer is off (bios setting maybe?) ..but regardless, even if it uses the molex connection, this thing seems legit and cheap way to get the htpc to turn on and off on any motherboard and mce remote...

i'll keep you guys posted when i get it

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - teaguecl - 2012-10-15

(2012-10-15, 20:13)truthlesshero Wrote: Just to let everyone know, i got a response from SIMEREC:

"Hi,

Yes, the PCS-M handles both power on/off via the 2-pin connector on the motherboard, and handles MCE/RC6 control via USB. There is a Molex 4-pin pass-through power connector that allows the PCS-M to determine the power state of the PC for proper switching. By default, the PCS-M draws power from a single splice connection to the ATX power supply. However, if your PC has a USB connection that supplies power even when the PC is off, then we can supply you with a version of PCS-M that draws power from the same USB connection used for the MCE/RC6 control -- eliminating the need for a splice connection or ATX power supply. Note that the PCS-M is supplied with a short USB cable to connect to a rear, external USB plug.

Currenlty, the PCS-M can only be ordered by contacting us by email, and the next batch will ship early next week.

so i think i'm going to order one...i don't think my pc drives power to my usb while the computer is off (bios setting maybe?) ..but regardless, even if it uses the molex connection, this thing seems legit and cheap way to get the htpc to turn on and off on any motherboard and mce remote...

I just installed a Simerec PCS-2 and I love it. However, i would *highly* suggest you try the USB route over the "single splice" option. They have some documentation about how the splicing works - you should read it. As an electrical engineer I opted not to do it at all. Splicing didn't seem like a very safe option to me - I just cut the wire, stripped and soldered it, then covered it with shrink tube. The idea of the splice is to cut through the plastic coating on the purple 5V ATX line coming from your power supply, and to make an electrical connection to the wire inside. Again, I've never used one of these wire splicing devices - but I never would given how error prone that process sounds to me.
Bottom line - the splice option is technically "solderless", but it involves breaking the seal of plastic around a power cable and making an electrical connection to the conductor inside. I think the USB option is a much better solution - use that if it is at all possible.

Re: RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - truthlesshero - 2012-10-16

(2012-10-15, 21:47)teaguecl Wrote:
(2012-10-15, 20:13)truthlesshero Wrote: Just to let everyone know, i got a response from SIMEREC:

"Hi,

I just installed a Simerec PCS-2 and I love it. However, i would *highly* suggest you try the USB route over the "single splice" option. They have some documentation about how the splicing works - you should read it. As an electrical engineer I opted not to do it at all. Splicing didn't seem like a very safe option to me - I just cut the wire, stripped and soldered it, then covered it with shrink tube. The idea of the splice is to cut through the plastic coating on the purple 5V ATX line coming from your power supply, and to make an electrical connection to the wire inside. Again, I've never used one of these wire splicing devices - but I never would given how error prone that process sounds to me.
Bottom line - the splice option is technically "solderless", but it involves breaking the seal of plastic around a power cable and making an electrical connection to the conductor inside. I think the USB option is a much better solution - use that if it is at all possible.

Thanks for the insight.. That'll motivate me to find a way to keep the usb on when the htpc is off. I preferred this option anyway but this just confirms it.. I will look into it. Thanks

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - h0ly lag - 2012-11-17

If I am using an ASRock motherboard with a CIR header and one of these:
http://shop.inteset.com/Products/28-inteset-cir-receiver-for-asrock-motherboards.aspx

Can I use any of the Harmony remotes like the Harmony 200 to turn on my htpc? Or can I only use the more expensive ones like the 650?

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - popesterb - 2012-11-19

Hi all, another newbie here.

Has anyone actually drilled a hole in a Silverstone ML-03 and mounted the Inteset Infrared Receiver? I have just bought all my first HTPC parts and am in the process of putting it all together.

Step 1 - Open the box
Step 2 - Install Inteset IR Receiver

I'm stuck on Step 2! Huh

Any tips/ideas/photos would be appreciated.

Thanks!

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Bleikur - 2012-11-19

(2012-11-19, 06:41)popesterb Wrote: Hi all, another newbie here.

Has anyone actually drilled a hole in a Silverstone ML-03 and mounted the Inteset Infrared Receiver? I have just bought all my first HTPC parts and am in the process of putting it all together.

Step 1 - Open the box
Step 2 - Install Inteset IR Receiver

I'm stuck on Step 2! Huh

Any tips/ideas/photos would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I successfully drilled a hole through the front panel of my Silverstone ML-03.
I have an ASRock mainboard and connected the CIR receiver using this instructions (http://shop.inteset.com/images/thumbs/0000214.jpg) provided by Inteset on the page http://shop.inteset.com/Products/28-inteset-cir-receiver-for-asrock-motherboards.aspx.
I then put a piece of isolating tape (slightly larger than the CIR board) on the metal bottom of the case just behind the hole and fastened the receiver there by putting 3-4 small bits of double-sided tape on the bottom of the CIR board (on areas where there is no solder or conductors). There it sits firmly behind the hole.

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - popesterb - 2012-11-19

(2012-11-19, 14:26)Bleikur Wrote: I successfully drilled a hole through the front panel of my Silverstone ML-03.

It seems to me the easiest spot is right in the center beside one of the USB ports. There is a strip of plastic only there, no metal. Is this where you put it? The other spot I was looking at was just to the right of the "Silverstone" name, but here you would need to drill though the metal case as well as the plastic cover.

(2012-11-19, 14:26)Bleikur Wrote: I then put a piece of isolating tape (slightly larger than the CIR board) on the metal bottom of the case just behind the hole and fastened the receiver there by putting 3-4 small bits of double-sided tape on the bottom of the CIR board (on areas where there is no solder or conductors). There it sits firmly behind the hole.

It sounds like you stuck the board directly to the case without using the little mounting bracket, is that so? Or you mounted the board to the bracket first, and then stuck the bracket in with the tape?

Also, how close to the hole were you able to get the IR eye? It seems to me that if you use the bracket, the eye will sit almost a 1/4" behind the hole in the case. I would think it should sit as close to flush as possible, but maybe not?

Thanks again!