Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - dio_free - 2013-02-26

Hi guys,
I'm about to pick up a Harmony remote. I just built an HTPC with a IR receiver attached via USB. Should this allow me to shut off the HTPC with the remote?

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - flabbamann - 2013-03-13

Hi,

i got my Case today which comes with a (MCE Compatible) Remote and an internal IR Receiver, that is to be connected via USB.
Does anyone have some recommendations on a Socket 1155 µATX or mITX Board that allows USB power up from S5, so I can use my remote for power on?
I read some Gigabyte Boards allow USB to stay on even in S5 to charge mobile devices, but I did not find a definitive answer if wake on USB is supported on these or not...

Thank you.

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - joe_sun - 2013-03-14

(2013-02-26, 22:21)dio_free Wrote: Hi guys,
I'm about to pick up a Harmony remote. I just built an HTPC with a IR receiver attached via USB. Should this allow me to shut off the HTPC with the remote?

Depends on the MB and the IR receiver.

For both of my systems the answer was no but quite a few Asrock MB support this.

My MB doesn't support any sort of wake from S5 so I had to go an alternative route. I know it's been mentioned before but I bought this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999191&Tpk=antec%20remote&IsVirtualParent=1

I already have a good IR Receiver so I only wanted this to power on. When I hooked this up I didn't connect the USB connector and only connected the power portion. I then programed my Harmony One to power it on. It works great but the problem was that this only has one code for power on and off so it would shutdown my box if you hit the power twice. I ended up changing the settings in Windows so that the power button does nothing while it's up and running.

My Wife LOVES that the Harmony now controlls everything "except the PS3 which she doesn't use"

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - illiac4 - 2013-03-14

Xir v2 can do reset and power on.

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - dacica - 2013-03-23

Hello dear friends,

I really need your advice for a buy. A few weeks ago I decided to make the transition from a dedicated tvix media player and make a HTPC in order to have a full support in what media center experience has to offer. I decided for a hardware based on:

Processor: AMD A6 3500 2.1Ghz 3-core Socket FM1 HD6530D
Motherboard: Asrock A75-PRO4-M whith CIR header
Memory: 2x2GB or 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
The system will run on Windows 8 and XBMC.

My wish is to have a HTPC that can be totally controlled remotely. I'm reading forums for the last 3 weeks and I'm still not sure what remote control and IR receiver to choose. The main function that I look for is the power on/off option from the remote control button and full compatibility with XBMC and Win 8 without having to reprogram and change the commands of the remote control, I'm not good with that.
As I understood so far my best options are: Inteset receiver/remote ; HDPlex remote/receiver . The only problem is that I have to order one of these from US, being in Europe and I don't know which one makes a good job.
My other unsure options are: iMon Inside ; MCE remote/receiver like Hama 52451 ; or IR receiver and Logitech Harmony® 300 Remote
I still don't know which one of these options can offer me for sure the power on/off option. Can someone give me a good advice about this?
Thank you guys so much

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - cw-kid - 2013-03-24

Anyone using an Intel dh67cf ITX media board and the Inteset CIR board
http://shop.inteset.com/intel-cir-receiver With Ubuntu ?

I've got it working using the in kernel drivers, I just had to modify the rc_mce keymap file a bit.

One problem I can't turn on PC from S3 sleep mode or from S5 Shutdown.

Using a harmony remote setup as MCE remote. Another thing I noticed the Descrete poweron / poweroff commands dont work, have to use power toggle instead.

The PC can be turned off (put to sleep) ok however with the remote.

Thanks

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - tahn - 2013-05-01

I use a very compact wireless keyboard and a mice and am happy with them. I only need a remote that would turn the PC on and off. Has anyone tried Simerec or rfpcremote.com?

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Miles_prower - 2013-05-12

Hi there.

I'm new in this thread, but I've read some pages of it.

- I have an Asus motherboard (ASUS P5G41TM LX3) wich doesn't have any cool option on the BIOS to turn on the PC (like USB Power On, Remote Power On, etc.).
- I have a RC6 eHome receiver.
- A Hamrony 300i remote that works perfectly with the receiver.
- Windows 8 Pro 64 bit and XBMC and no intention of using Ubuntu, or other O.S.

So, now I can only use the remote to wake the PC from suspended mode (S3 I believe it is) but not from complete shutdown (S5 I guess).

I am interested only in being able to turn on the PC from S5, because I can control and shutdown the PC on Windows once it is turned on.

Is there any good option for me to be able to turn on the PC? I think it should be the Simerec PCs-1, but I don't want tu cut cables of the power supply...

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - PV_XBMC - 2013-05-12

(2013-05-12, 13:49)Miles_prower Wrote: Hi there.

- I have an Asus motherboard (ASUS P5G41TM LX3) wich doesn't have any cool option on the BIOS to turn on the PC (like USB Power On, Remote Power On, etc.).

So, now I can only use the remote to wake the PC from suspended mode (S3 I believe it is) but not from complete shutdown (S5 I guess).

I am interested only in being able to turn on the PC from S5, because I can control and shutdown the PC on Windows once it is turned on.

Is there any good option for me to be able to turn on the PC? I think it should be the Simerec PCs-1, but I don't want tu cut cables of the power supply...

I think, this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162399 is interesting and cheap solution.

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Miles_prower - 2013-05-12

(2013-05-12, 21:43)PV_XBMC Wrote:
(2013-05-12, 13:49)Miles_prower Wrote: Hi there.

I think, this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162399 is interesting and cheap solution.

Ehm... Obviously if I don't want to cut cables I want less to solder or disolder things... Lol.

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - homerjs - 2013-05-29

My build:
Asrock a75m-itx
A6-3500
Rosewill MCE dongle RHRC 11002 and harmony one remote
All works well, when I shut off the PC via XBMC I can turn it back on again from the S5 state, however if I wait an extended period of time, 30+ mins I cannot power on the PC via remote, almost like USB has lost power.
Settings in bios are set to wake via US/remote.
Does the usb lose power after a set time? any reason for this? Any fix
Thanks

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - tkarns24 - 2013-07-13

does build #5 motherboard support power on/off. If not then which method would work best.

(2011-09-30, 08:39)eskro Wrote: The Power ON and OFF feature seems so wanted in the HTPC market nowadays...
I have to admit that i enjoy this feature very much on my own HTPC!
Since i've been asked alot on how I've done it,
i thought i'd simply share the 'known' ways to achieve this...
Note that there's probably other ways too,
but those are the ones i know,.,
Ok, Here we go...

METHOD#1
I guess i could start by saying that depending on the case you buy,
if it comes bundled with a remote control and some sort of IR Receiver LCD Screen,
like the SST-GD02B-MT case,
chances are that you'll be able to Power ON and OFF your HTPC...
So you'll have to do your own research here before buying your case...
Like me, i bough the Antec MicroFusion350 htpc case,
and it was bundled with a remote control...
it works hand in hand with its LCD Screen which is also an InfraRed Receiver...
So after putting all my htpc together and installed all needed drivers,
i was able to Power ON and OFF my HTPC...
Of course, it even works with my Harmony remote!
so, yeah, thats 1 way to do it,,,

METHOD#2
to continue a bit about ANTEC here,
ANTEC released some InfraRed Receivers you can use to enable such a feature....
To name a few:
*Antec VERIS Basic Infrared receiver
*Antec VERIS Elite Infrared receiver
the basic version fits in an external 3.5" Drive bay
while the Elite version fits in an external 5.25" Drive bay...
so keep that in mind before buying either of them,,,
Anyhow, once you hook them up,
you'll be able to Power ON and OFF your HTPC...
Of course, it'll even work with any Harmony remotes aswell!
so, yeah, thats another way to do it,,,

METHOD#3
SIMEREC.COM's PCS-1 or PCS-2 Universal IR Remote Switch
is a neat little InfraRed Receiver that once installed,
you'll be able to to Power ON and OFF your HTPC...
There's a little bit of work involved here to make it work,
as you need to drill a tiny whole in your HTPC case to install the IR receiver..
But on the other hand, it comes fully assembled and no soldering is required!
this thing works with 99% of IR remotes on the market including Harmony's!
But note that as of today, this wont allow you to control your HTPC,,,
I've talked with the guys at simerec.com and they said that by the END of october,
they should release a version of their 'Universal IR Remote Switch'
which will also enable users to actually control their HTPC's!!
This is great news! good job SIMEREC!!

METHOD#4
you know what a CIR enabled motherboard is?
CIR stands for 'Consumer InfraRed'...
Not all motherboards have a CIR header though...
Becareful when buying your motherboard if you want such a thing...
Anyhow, once you found a CIR enabled motherboard,
all is left for you to buy is a compatible CIR module to plug it in!
And thats usually the hard part,, these modules are very hard to find..
After doing some research, i stumbled upon ASROCK's website,
and i saw a couple of CIR enabled motherboards.
but the greatest thing here is that some of them are also bundled with an IR remote & a CIR module!!
Here are some popular CIR enabled ASROCK motherboards:
*ASRock B75M-ITX LGA1155 Mini-ITX
*ASRock H77M-ITX LGA1155 Mini-ITX
*ASRock H67M-GE/HT (B3) LGA1155 Micro-ATX
*ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 Mini-ITX
*ASRock A75M-HVS FM1 Micro-ATX
Now for ASROCK boards that aren't bundled with an IR remote & a CIR module,
you can buy the same 2 items as a package deal here --> ASRock Smart Remote
and if you only need the CIR Module and not the remote, contact --> ASROCK AMERICA

Also good to know, some INTEL motherboards have CIR headers too.
to make use of them, you'll need to buy this CIR Module Here.
As you see, there's a little bit of work involved
since you need to drill a tiny whole in your HTPC case to install the CIR receiver..

And if you feel like it,
you can even de-pin/re-pin the INTEL's CIR module
so that it works with ASROCK's CIR Headers!
This is how, click --> Here

About INTEL's CIR module,
Once the drivers are installed,
and CIR feature enabled in your BIOS,
your CIR Receiver will act as a Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver!
Your Harmony remote will love it!!

METHOD#5
After talking with the owner of Shop.PerfectHomeTheater.com
i feel confident enough to list this Internal IR Receiver --> Here
Altho designed to fit in the Wesena case,
this IR Receiver will work in any other HTPC's
as long as there's room to fit it in of course..
once again, there's a little bit of work involved
since you need to drill a tiny whole in your case to install this IR receiver..
but once done, you'll be able to power ON your HTPC from a complete OFF state.
They also sell a package including a RC620 Remote and the IR Receiver...
Owner also told me that the IR Receiver does work with Harmony remotes
but he didn't test this himself but he said: "some of my clients do" ...
Also note that this IR Receiver won't register as a Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver...

Finally,
i hope you've enjoy'ed the read and learned something along the way!!

~peace~

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - tboggie - 2013-07-27

Built a new HTPC last night. Please can anyone suggest the best solution how to shutdown/PowerOn

AsRock FM2A85X-ITX Motherboard - 1 x CIR header
Silverstone Grandia GD08
GMYLE® Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home

Will this work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Internal-Infrared-IR-Receiver-Cable-and-Custom-Mounting-Bracket-/230676938088?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b56abd68

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - ffe811 - 2013-07-30

(2013-07-27, 20:32)tboggie Wrote: Built a new HTPC last night. Please can anyone suggest the best solution how to shutdown/PowerOn

AsRock FM2A85X-ITX Motherboard - 1 x CIR header
Silverstone Grandia GD08
GMYLE® Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home

Will this work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Internal-Infrared-IR-Receiver-Cable-and-Custom-Mounting-Bracket-/230676938088?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b56abd68

http://shop.inteset.com/inteset-cir-receiver-for-asrock-motherboards

This is what you are looking for

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Blaccko - 2013-08-06

Hi,

I'm planning on installing XBMC's version of Ubuntu on my to-build HTPC. Here's the list of the parts of my build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($45.40 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.05 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.83 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($78.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Case: nMEDIAPC HTPC 1000B HTPC Case ($74.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.88 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $397.47
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-04 18:06 EDT-0400)

If I want to use my Harmony 650 remote to control my HTPC and to turn it on from S5 state and to turn it back to S5 state, which IR receiver should I be looking for? I was reading this guide and the autor mentinoned to pick a receiver that would work easily with Linux regarding the drivers and everything.

Quote: All I can do if that if you are still planning to buy an IR receiver, make sure it is compatible with Linux out-of-the-box, meaning that the driver should be included in the vanilla Linux kernel. This will make life a lot easier for you.

How can I know if a receiver is compatible with Linux out of the box? Are this and this receivers compatibles with Linux (XBMC Ubuntu)? Otherwise, which ones are?

Does this quote mean that the Linux drivers for the receiver should ideally be available or the ones for the CIR header on the motherboard should ideally be available on Linux?

Also, to power my HTPC from S5 state, is a USB IR receiver able to do so or if I should instead buy a CIR IR receiver (I have a CIR header on my ASRock motherboard) as a USB receiver wouldn't allow me to do so?

I have a CIR header on my ASRock motherboard; H77M, but the only CIR drivers for Linux I found on ASRock website are the ones for the ION. Do you think they would work nonetheless with the ASRock H77M motherboard?

Thanks in advance,

Blaccko