Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

- pike - 2011-10-31

Nice Nerd

delta-101 Wrote:I can confirm this CIR receiver does work with the Asrock E350M1 (not supplied with CIR Receiver in UK, but does have CIR Header.) but the pinout for the CIR Header is not identical and needs to be changed slightly to suit.. (simply remove the wires from the plug & reinsert them in the correct positions)
I found this info on the Inteset forum
http://shop.inteset.com/Boards/Topic.aspx?TopicID=75#208

I have it setup to power off / power on - work perfectly - range seems good with the remote supplied or my universal.

- voip-ninja - 2011-10-31

pike Wrote:I don't know much about CIR yet, but I found these: http://shop.inteset.com/Products/5-ir-reciever-wcable-for-intel-cir-motherboards.aspx

I'm not sure if they only work for intel's motherboards or if anyone but intel makes CIR compatible boards...

header looks like this:

Pike, how good is the line of sight to the sensor with this one? In other words, does it work at a few different angles or must you point the remote directly at the sensor for it to work? Every CIR sensor I have tried requires that I point my Harmony directly at it to work, where-as most of my MCE6 USB devices can work from a large angle in the room that I am using it in.

Thanks.

- pike - 2011-10-31

Sorry no idea on this one, since I haven't tried it myself yet, I merely found the device Smile

voip-ninja Wrote:Pike, how good is the line of sight to the sensor with this one? In other words, does it work at a few different angles or must you point the remote directly at the sensor for it to work? Every CIR sensor I have tried requires that I point my Harmony directly at it to work, where-as most of my MCE6 USB devices can work from a large angle in the room that I am using it in.

Thanks.

- voip-ninja - 2011-10-31

pike Wrote:Sorry no idea on this one, since I haven't tried it myself yet, I merely found the device Smile

OK, thanks. Can someone who has used this answer that question?

- colicab - 2011-11-16

Does the MCE remote work if you insert the MCE USB receiver in a PS/2 port with a converter?

My motherboard supports power on with PS/2 keyboard/mouse but not through the USB ports. And I would like to find a cheap way to start up the PC...

Any experience with this?

- Balinus - 2011-11-24

I can power on from cold my HTPC.

Mobo : Asrock A75M-ITX
Remote and receiver : HP remote

You need to go in the BIOS and enable keyboard/remote USB wake to be able to start the PC from a S5 state.

- eskro - 2011-11-24

power on from cold as in Power ON from a total shutdown state and not a sleep state?

- Balinus - 2011-11-24

eskro Wrote:power on from cold as in Power ON from a total shutdown state and not a sleep state?

Yes. As in "Power ON from a total shutdown state".

I was surprised that I could!

- pyrospawn - 2011-11-24

Thanks for the info Balinus. I could not do that before even with it enable. But after seeing your post. I updated the Bios and now not only can boot up from s5 state, but fix the hdmi wake issue too Smile. Thanks again

- Balinus - 2011-11-24

pyrospawn Wrote:Thanks for the info Balinus. I could not do that before even with it enable. But after seeing your post. I updated the Bios and now not only can boot up from s5 state, but fix the hdmi wake issue too Smile. Thanks again

Cool, nice to hear! Smile

- eskro - 2011-11-24

Balinus Wrote:Yes. As in "Power ON from a total shutdown state".

I was surprised that I could!

but did u use your mobo's CIR HEADER?

- Balinus - 2011-11-24

eskro Wrote:but did u use your mobo's CIR HEADER?

Nope. My internal USB header are used for the front USB port. The USB receive is NOT connected in those ports, but in one of the ports behind the PC. I believe that not all port will give power (+5VSB) when the PC is in S5 state though. You might need to try different port.

- eskro - 2011-11-24

question is, before buying a motherboard,
how to know if it has at least 1 USB port with 5V when in S5..?

- Balinus - 2011-11-24

Well, I don't know sadly Sad

As I said, it was a surprise. I accidentally pressed the "On" button on my remote while my PC was OFF and it turned it ON! Smile

After some testing, not all USB ports will do the trick. Moreover, if I plug the USB receiver in the correct port, it won't work until I manually boot, then shutdown. After that, it works.

- bluray - 2011-11-25

eskro Wrote:question is, before buying a motherboard,
how to know if it has at least 1 USB port with 5V when in S5..?
if you go to here (Motherboard Series), it's specified in each motherboard specification and you can verify it in motherboard drawing too. the cir in asrock a75 extreme6 mobo below is located in #32: