Kodi Community Forum
XBMC doesn't load movie.nfo - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Meta-Data provider and Artwork Packs (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Thread: XBMC doesn't load movie.nfo (/showthread.php?tid=111573)

XBMC doesn't load movie.nfo - wfhoward - 2011-10-03

Hi guys.

I apologise if this is a dumb question or if it has been explained somewhere else, but at the moment I've beyond the point of frustration - XBMC doesn't want to load my movie.nfo files!

Initially I let XBMC scrape all the movies itself, but decided that I would rather use Ember Media Manager and not have XBMC do any scraping at all. I've read through every review/guide I could find. I've sorted all my movies and with Ember scraping my media, everything is looking like the following:

M:\Movies HD\
M:\Movies HD\Avatar (1080p)\
M:\Movies HD\Avatar (1080p)\Avatar (1080p).mkv
M:\Movies HD\Avatar (1080p)\folder.jpg
M:\Movies HD\Avatar (1080p)\fanart.jpg
M:\Movies HD\Avatar (1080p)\movie.nfo
M:\Movies HD\Avatar (1080p)\extrathumbs\
M:\Movies HD\Bolt (720p)\
M:\Movies HD\Bolt (720p)\Bolt (720p).mkv
M:\Movies HD\Bolt (720p)\folder.jpg
M:\Movies HD\Bolt (720p)\fanart.jpg
M:\Movies HD\Bolt (720p)\movie.nfo
M:\Movies HD\Bolt (720p)\extrathumbs\
etc

I've located the <username>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails\ folder and cleared everything inside.

Then I went into XBMC and selected Videos -> right-click on Movies HD -> Edit Source. I've got the following settings:
- This directory contains: Movies
- Run automated scan: Off
- Use folder names for lookups: On
- Scan recursively: Off
- Selected folder contains a single video: Off
- Excludes path from library updates: Off

After clicking OK, all my movies picked up the correct \folder.jpg and \fanart.jpg files. However the movie.nfo was not loaded, because the movies are displayed as "Avatar (1080p)" and not "Avatar" and when I right-click on a movie and selecet Information, XBMC tries to download the information and prompts me if it finds more than 1 movie. I've opened the movie.nfo files, and they contain xml data, which looks to me like the html tags in the XBMC Import/Export library page.

What am I doing wrong? Anybody please help me!

- Martijn - 2011-10-03

Scan recursively: on
BTW not the correct place on the forum for this question

- LowBoost - 2011-11-06

Machine:

Sorry for bringing this back from dead and wrong forum.
I am having a similar problem, where I can see all my changes correctly under my file manager (Media Companion) but for some reason XBMC is not displaying the correct NFO information.

Any tips you can provide? I already verified the mentioned settings.

- &gt;&gt;X&lt;&lt; - 2011-11-06

LowBoost Wrote:Machine:

Sorry for bringing this back from dead and wrong forum.
I am having a similar problem, where I can see all my changes correctly under my file manager (Media Companion) but for some reason XBMC is not displaying the correct NFO information.

Any tips you can provide? I already verified the mentioned settings.

Were the movies already in your library before you made the changes ?

Because if they were your need to refresh any movie you changed XBMC only uses the nfo and images once when it scrapes after that it uses its cached images and database so unless you use refresh it doesn't get updated

- LowBoost - 2011-11-08

X:

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

1) Yes; The movies were already in my XBMC library before I modify them via Media Companion file manager.

2) Ahhh that explains it. Thanks I will clear my library and update it again to see if that refreshes it.

- civicguy - 2011-11-08

LowBoost Wrote:X:

1) Yes; The movies were already in my XBMC library before I modify them via Media Companion file manager.

2) Ahhh that explains it. Thanks I will clear my library and update it again to see if that refreshes it.

you might also want to clean up the thumb nail directory first too. i found it necessary for my cases

- PatOso - 2011-11-08

Same thing happens to me.

- &gt;&gt;X&lt;&lt; - 2011-11-08

LowBoost Wrote:X:

By refresh I meant go to movie info in XBMC and select refresh/reload you need to do that for any movies you changed

Obviously if you have a lot of changes then its easier to rebuild your library

If your using a media manager then it makes sense to me not to add new items to your library until your happy with the artwork and movie info its one reason I have "update library" on a remote button instead of update library at startup so nothing gets added until its ready

- LowBoost - 2011-11-08

Thanks for everyone's responses.

1) I cleaned up the thumb-nail directory
2) I clreared my library and re-built my library

Now my library shows the Poster (Thumbs), FanArt, and movie information from what I set with my file manager. However, for some reason, now my media tags do not show up. Perhaps I am using the incorrect term... I mean that I no longer see the BluRay, HDTV, DTS, AAC, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 icons for my movies.

If I recall correctly these are pulled automatically from the file (or filename).
For example, I have my movies structured the following way:

E:\Movies
- The Test (2010)
-- The Test (2010) 1080p BluRay DTS x264.mkv

- The Test 2 (2011)
-- The Test 2 (2011) 720p HDTV DD 2.0.mkv

Since I am more comfortable now with the settings, skins and add-ons. I may un-install XBMC and re-install (Dharma 10.1) from scratch. Maybe that will help?

- LowBoost - 2011-11-10

* UPDATE *

You probably knew this already.. but here it goes just in case.
Just play the movie/clips for a few seconds and the media flags will be pulled from file and will show up. Smile

- &gt;&gt;X&lt;&lt; - 2011-11-10

LowBoost Wrote:* UPDATE *

You probably knew this already.. but here it goes just in case.
Just play the movie/clips for a few seconds and the media flags will be pulled from file and will show up. Smile

Media Companion doesn't add stream details to the nfo I'm very surprised if that's the case :confused2:

Ember does so all flags are available straight away one reason I use it so I can turn off "Extract thumbs and video information"

- LowBoost - 2011-11-11

@X:

You are correct. I meant that my flags were not being displayed under XBMC after I cleaned/re-built my library. I just played the movies for a second, stopped it, and the flags would show back in the layouts.

Sorry for any confusion caused by my initial post.

So, Ember would pull all the flags/tags form the media file and include it in the nfo file? That is exactly what I am looking for! However, I must admit that I am very pleased with MC2 with the exception that it crashes too often and that it will not connect to a remote DB\Library. (Unless mapped)