Kodi Community Forum
Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC (/showthread.php?tid=113136)

RE: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - mrkipling - 2012-06-16

Hello everyone!

I've just merged in the auto-updater function. This is a huge step forward - now you will no longer have to update Maraschino manually, it will prompt you to update itself from within the interface when it detects that a newer version is available. Many thanks to N3MIS15 and Mikie-Ghost for taking the time to write this!

As part of this update, the "core" of Maraschino has been changed to make it more structured. This is definitely a good thing, and long overdue. Unfortunately it also means that existing users are going to have to change some things around.

As part of streamlining the core of Maraschino, Apache is no longer supported. It just wasn't feasible to support both Apache and CherryPy long-term, plus people have been complaining that setting up Maraschino can be quite confusing, so we decided to focus on supporting one installation method (using CherryPy's WSGI server that is bundled with Maraschino).

So, if you have been using Apache up until now: you need to disable Maraschino in Apache, and follow the new installation instructions from step 3 (you can skip steps 1 and 2 as you have already cloned the repository). Your settings won't be affected - your database is still intact, and will be detected by Maraschino once it is being served using the new method.

If you have been using CherryPy: you need to update your "/etc/init.d/maraschino" script using the new version in the git repo. Basically, follow steps 3, 4 and 5 in the new installation instructions. When you're done, restart Maraschino ("/etc/init.d/maraschino restart")

If you have been using basic HTTP authentication, your username/password settings will be lost when you first load the new-improved Maraschino. This is because there is no longer a confusing settings.py file - you configure the username and password from within Maraschino itself. Go to misc settings in the top-right dropdown, enter a username and password, and click save. Much simpler!

Apologies that this update requires changing your installation, but I hope you'll agree that what it brings to the table (a much simpler installation process for new users, and auto-updating) is worth the minor inconvenience.

RE: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - steve1977 - 2012-06-16

That's a pity and huge loss. Making things quite a bit more complex for the folks like me working with reverse proxies. Now need to learn how to forward ports and others...

Anyhow, it is how it is and I still love Maraschino functionality. Any description how to install cherrypy on windows? Understand that above describes it only for linux users?

RE: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - _Mikie_ - 2012-06-16

All the other major HTPC apps (sickbeard, couch potato) use cherrypy so it should work exactly the same as them when it comes to reverse proxies. Cherrypy should be included without the source files so no need to install it separately.

RE: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - lastimp - 2012-06-16

Has anyone been having trouble getting thumbnails to display on recently added movies and episodes. I am running the lastest xbmc compiled from git on ubuntu 11.10 with mysql database and about two or three weeks ago jmarshall changed some stuff todo with the way thumb nails are handle or cached in mysql and I haven't been able to get any previews in maraschino since. I am not sure of the exact commit unfortunately. It was fine until I did a system wipe which removed my xbmc thumbnails folder and with the new commit the way I understand it works now there are direct links to the images in mysql and cached thumbnails in the textures database but no copies of the thumbnail in the thumbnails folder since that was kinda redundant. However anything that used those thumbs i.e. maraschino and also the video wallpaper screensaver don't have images to use. This will appear to be working properly until you delete the thumbnail folder because all your old created thumbnails are still in there. I guess what I am asking is, is there anyway to pull those thumbs from where they are cached and not from the thumbnail folder?

See this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=133217 for more info.

RE: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - schumi2004 - 2012-06-16

@mrkipling

Looks great but wondering how it will act in OpenELEC.

Will give it a try later today.

RE: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - jerryw - 2012-06-16

(2012-06-16, 02:32)N3MIS15 Wrote:
(2012-06-15, 20:23)steve1977 Wrote: Any news on auto-update or headphones widget? Thanks a lot in advance!!!

i have been working hard on the updater, then all of a sudden github depreciated their v2 api. so i have moved to v3 api and it seems to work great. I sent a pull request to mrkipling and he hopes to review it this weekend. *fingers crossed*

the headphones module was put on hold while i was working on the updater. So if all goes well with that i will start working on the headphones module again next week. All the functionality is there, just a lot of loose ends in the ui part.

Quote:it seems to throw some thread api error from Sickbeard and I have to regenerate the Sickbeard API key before the Sickbeard module will work again and show the tv shows

what error is it throwing? history works fine for me.

When I spoke of Sickbeard throwing an error, I meant that when I click on history, when not in compact view, the module acts like it will load something and never does. When I refresh the browser, I see the images are showing broken links, I then look at the log and see that Sickbeard has thrown CP Thread-4 and CP-Thread 6 API errors. For whatever reason, Sickbeard does not like me to use the history function. I can replicate this over and over. Before you ask, I have tried a fresh install of SickBeard as well.

In Addition to this, I cannot get the search functions to work. After inputting my NZB.su API key, I then perform a search for different items and nothing happens other then seeing the spinning icon to the left.

Any help would be appreciated. If it is something I am doing wrong, I will gladly take responsibility, I just want to fix the problem. I am running Maraschino on a Windows 2008 server where I have installed Python27 and PythonW.

RE: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - N3MIS15 - 2012-06-17

the broken sickbeard images is a known problem and i have sent a pull request to fix it. (i think thats what causing the api errors and should also fix the broken images for they people running reverse proxies)
as for the non functioning stuff, could you run the latest version of maraschino with 'Maraschino --develop' and check the console for any errors when viewing history in sickbeard and nzb.su.
(2012-06-16, 21:19)lastimp Wrote: Has anyone been having trouble getting thumbnails to display on recently added movies and episodes. I am running the lastest xbmc compiled from git on ubuntu 11.10 with mysql database and about two or three weeks ago jmarshall changed some stuff todo with the way thumb nails are handle or cached in mysql and I haven't been able to get any previews in maraschino since. I am not sure of the exact commit unfortunately. It was fine until I did a system wipe which removed my xbmc thumbnails folder and with the new commit the way I understand it works now there are direct links to the images in mysql and cached thumbnails in the textures database but no copies of the thumbnail in the thumbnails folder since that was kinda redundant. However anything that used those thumbs i.e. maraschino and also the video wallpaper screensaver don't have images to use. This will appear to be working properly until you delete the thumbnail folder because all your old created thumbnails are still in there. I guess what I am asking is, is there anyway to pull those thumbs from where they are cached and not from the thumbnail folder?

See this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=133217 for more info.

pull request sent. awaiting review.
https://github.com/mrkipling/maraschino/pull/146

RE: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - SlackMaster - 2012-06-17

Anyone willing to give existing windows users who followed the original windows user installation instructions a quick step by step on what we need to do to upgrade? I have windows server 2003.

If I just download the latest master and overwrite my files, will that work?

RE: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - N3MIS15 - 2012-06-17

(2012-06-17, 03:45)SlackMaster Wrote: Anyone willing to give existing windows users who followed the original windows user installation instructions a quick step by step on what we need to do to upgrade? I have windows server 2003.

If I just download the latest master and overwrite my files, will that work?

yea, i would just download a zipball/tarball and overwrite it all.

its worth noting that settings.py is no longer used. to change port run with 'Maraschino.py --port 9000' and database is '--database c:\path\to\maraschino\maraschino.db' if no args are passed, the defaults of port 7000 are used and the root of maraschino for the database.

RE: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - steve1977 - 2012-06-17

(2012-06-16, 19:38)_Mikie_ Wrote: All the other major HTPC apps (sickbeard, couch potato) use cherrypy so it should work exactly the same as them when it comes to reverse proxies. Cherrypy should be included without the source files so no need to install it separately.

Two main differences:

1) CP and SB come with a Windows-executable, so there is no need to install or configure anything. It's as easy as pressing a button, which is not the case for Maraschino. Did anyone succeed to install Maraschino cherrypy on windows and shed light what I would need to do to get it running.

2) I know how I could have Maraschino set-up on reverse-proxy (i.e., my-ULR/maraschino). That's the same way how I have CP and SB set-up. I would have preferred to have Maraschino set-up directly on my-URL though and then have the other apps open as part of the Maraschino path (i.e., my-URL/SB). That's the default way for Apache hosted apps to work, but to get this to work with cherrypy, I will need to forward port 80 to the Maraschino port, which requires me to go in the router to make some changes. If someone has succeeded to do so, please post description

Thanks a ton in advance, It will be a struggle to get things working on cherrypy for us windows users out here, but once it is done, it's worth the hassel, I was using the latest version that works on Apache and it is fantastic!!!

the problem with having a webroot in maraschino is that it was not considered in the beginning. There are a lot of hardcoded links that would need to be fixed. I will be a huge task to get it working, but its not impossible.
As for running cherrypy on windows, you need to install python then its just a case of 'python path\to\maraschino\Maraschino.py' or in windows you can just double click Maraschino.py.

The latest update was just the first step into making things like webroot possible. Please be patient and we will try to figure out the best way to tackle it.

RE: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - gugahoi - 2012-06-17

(2012-06-15, 19:02)jerryw Wrote: Would someone mind helping with something? I am running Maraschino on my Windows Home Server 2011 (Windows 2008 R2). Everything is running fine but when I add the Sickbeard module and then click on History or if I refresh the page, it seems to throw some thread api error from Sickbeard and I have to regenerate the Sickbeard API key before the Sickbeard module will work again and show the tv shows. Any ideas, suggestions, etc. (Other than don't refresh or don't click on history)? I really like this webapp and would like to use it but it seems to have a couple of kinks to be worked out. Searching nzb.su doesn't work at all for me. Open to any help someone would be kind enough to lend.

Thank you

I can confirm that nzb.su seems to not be working for me either. Will try to find a fix for it...

RE: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - schumi2004 - 2012-06-17

I tested it on OpenELEC but it didn't run, it gave a error on importing Flask.

Any one has instructions on how to get it working in OpenELEC?

RE: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - mrkipling - 2012-06-17

Public service announcement: if anybody has updated to the latest version and is having trouble switching to the new method of deployment (or if there are bugs for their platform, e.g. OpenELEC) you can do this for now until said bugs are fixed:

git checkout 3bcd2cb8341f1bb

This will take Maraschino back to how it was before the core restructure and auto-updater features were merged in. To switch back to the latest version, you can do:

git checkout master

RE: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - SlackMaster - 2012-06-17

FYI... if anyone used this tutorial on how to install Maraschino on Windows and are using the batch file to start up Maraschino when the computer starts using a scheduled task, it needs to be altered slightly.

Currently the tutorial says to use this...

Code:
cd "C:\HTPC-Apps\Maraschino"
del "maraschino-cherrypy.pyw"
copy "maraschino-cherrypy.py" "maraschino-cherrypy.pyw"
start "Maraschino" maraschino-cherrypy.pyw
exit

Change it to...

Code:
cd "C:\HTPC-Apps\Maraschino"
del "maraschino.pyw"
copy "maraschino.py" "maraschino.pyw"
start "Maraschino" maraschino.pyw
exit

... at least that worked for me.

Also, I've noticed that on the Applications module, I have it set to open in a new tab, but it doesn't always work. Anyone else have this issue or is it just me?
... side note, thanks to everyone who helped add the updater to this. It's going to make things a lot easier in the future.