Kodi Community Forum
Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC (/showthread.php?tid=113136)

- HarryRosen - 2011-11-03

love the new icons dejavu, thanks.

can't wait for new modules

- gugahoi - 2011-11-04

Hey Deja, I see you started porting MFP widgets to this eh? Nice! hahah

This looks pretty cool! If you want ideas for widgets (modules) just have a look at MediaFrontPage. Deja and I developed quite a few that are very useful. For example:

search widget - searches nzb.su, nzbmatrix and thetvdb from within the page itself. It also lets you filter you search through categories and send them striaght to sabnzbd in the click of a button to the appropriate category.

HDD widget - deja has already started that one.

XBMC Notification - you can send a msg to the XBMC client from MFP's page itself. It even supports multiple clients in case you have more than 1 xbmc instance.

Transmission widget - the same as your sabnzbd one, with options to manage speed limit and pause/delete queued item.

Trakt recommendations - i think you already have this one on the way

jDownloader status - this you can start/stop your download queue and see the progress but nothing more.

RSS feeds - self explanatory

System status - same

- shadower - 2011-11-04

Wow this is a great web frontend.
Have just started to play with it on my XBMCLive machine and I must say I'm looking forward to futher development.
Would love to see the SickBeard implementation when finalised Smile

- DejaVu - 2011-11-04

I now have maraschino/htpcfrontend auto loading if anyone is interested.
It's ugly, but it works if anyone is interested. It means that the installation instructions are going to need to change though -

also - it's just a start script. Nothing in it to kill it, but I do not think there is any need seeing as things change really well on the fly anyway. No need to restart the server etc.

Example,
You will now git clone to /home/user/.maraschino instead of in the apache folder.

I shall draft up some instructions and post it shortly - it will also need a permanent port.
I chose 5050 to avoid other programs, unless there are any other objections?

EDIT-
This is pretty simple for anyone with minor knowledge of Linux, but thought I'd post it anyway seeing as everyone seems to be having problems.

First, reclone to your user (check it) directory -
Code:
git clone https://github.com/mrkipling/maraschino.git /home/xbmc/.maraschino

Open and edit the htpcfrontend.py.
Towards the bottom, change -
Code:
if __name__ == '__main__':
    app.run(debug=True)
into
Code:
if __name__ == '__main__':
    app.run(debug=True,port=5050,host='0.0.0.0')
@mrkipling
Perhaps make this change permanent?

Create a new file -
Code:
sudo nano /etc/init.d/maraschino
Paste this into it -
Change the Username if you use a different one then 'xbmc'.
Code:
#! /bin/sh

# Username required and must be changed to suit!
USER="xbmc"

#Script -- No changes needed below.
case "$1" in
start)
#Start marashino
cd /home/$USER/.maraschino
echo "Starting Marashino"
sudo python /home/$USER/.maraschino/htpcfrontend.py -q
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start}"
exit 1
esac

exit 0

Save and exit. Then -
Code:
sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/maraschino
sudo update-rc.d maraschino defaults
sudo /etc/init.d/maraschino start
Check it's running and reboot to make certain it autoruns,
Open your browser at http://serverip:5050 and have fun.

@mrkipling
You can add/edit this script to your repo and give instructions to cp it to the init.d directory in the readme if you wish, will make life easier. Wink

- steve1977 - 2011-11-04

DejaVu Wrote:This is seriously impressive! I too have been using/editing/struggling with Mediafrontpage to the point of giving up.

I thought the JSON RPC API changes would be its death, but see this as its replacement.

The end of MFP? Sad

- DejaVu - 2011-11-04

steve1977 Wrote:The end of MFP? Sad
I hope not, but this undoubtedly is a great replacement - just get gugahoi's search widget in this and MFP will be obsolete.

MFP's code got huge and quite messy to be honest and I was struggling to keep up with it.

The JSON RPC API changes, and me trying to understand them, is what is slowly killing it off. Just hope someone with a little knowledge of it can jump on-board and repair it. It's all it really needs.

Maraschino's initial framework made by mrkipling is organised, easy to understand and once a little documentation comes to light, I think personally, this will be a lot better and easier to code (I'm already giving it a good forking.)

- HarryRosen - 2011-11-04

I wonder if this can be ported to run on my unraid server and then have it control multiple xbmc. it would be nice to have 1 home page to control all the xbmc i the house. As I have 3 running, but only one runs 24/7 to accept all the updates from couchpotato and sickbeard

- HarryRosen - 2011-11-04

when I try to run this command it doesn't work

sudo update-rc.d sickbeard defaults

but I am assuming it's because I don't run sickbeard on this machines, is there a different cmd I can use?

- gugahoi - 2011-11-04

The one advantage I see in this over MFP is since it is coded in python it can have it's own webserver and therefore simplify installation by a ton! Otherwise, MFP was quite advanced, specially since was a collaborative tool that had been in development for a year or so. Also, the interface here look very nice too.

@mrkipling

I would advise creating a settings/cofig page as soon as possible otherwise, if it grows to have too many modules beforehand it will be much more complicated to adapt them into a new configuration based module. At least that was my experience with MFP. If there is a config soon then new modules will have to be built with the limitations or advantages it brings. Building a config later to adapt to multiple module and settings is a PITA to be honest. Just my 2 cents...

- DejaVu - 2011-11-04

HarryRosen Wrote:when I try to run this command it doesn't work

sudo update-rc.d sickbeard defaults

but I am assuming it's because I don't run sickbeard on this machines, is there a different cmd I can use?

Typo in my instructions. Just went into auto mode and was used to typing sickbeard instead. Fixed.

rflores2323 Wrote:I was wondering if there was a way to get this to work on an android tablet? This would be awesome to have as I use my tablet to control xbmc and it would be great for the wife to have these widgets on a screen to download movies, tvshows, check trakt, etc...

Small update on this too. I have accessed this on my HP Touchpad and HTC Desire both running CM7's Android and both view it perfectly in Dolphin HD.

- _Mikie_ - 2011-11-04

Please lets not get stuck in the same situation that mfp did in that we have no way to expand without re-coding the whole thing. Two things are critical. Settings gui and the ability to turn off widgets from that. Don't race forward and leave stuff out that can't be corrected later.

- steve1977 - 2011-11-04

DejaVu Wrote:I hope not, but this undoubtedly is a great replacement - just get gugahoi's search widget in this and MFP will be obsolete.

MFP's code got huge and quite messy to be honest and I was struggling to keep up with it.

The JSON RPC API changes, and me trying to understand them, is what is slowly killing it off. Just hope someone with a little knowledge of it can jump on-board and repair it. It's all it really needs.

Maraschino's initial framework made by mrkipling is organised, easy to understand and once a little documentation comes to light, I think personally, this will be a lot better and easier to code (I'm already giving it a good forking.)

Sounds indeed that it is time for me to say bye to fantastic MFP then...

Will give the "new kid on the block" a chance tonight. Took a quick look on how to install it and it didn't sound as straight forward. Are there two different ways (one with deja's fork?) or just one?

- mrkipling - 2011-11-04

DejaVu Wrote:I now have maraschino/htpcfrontend auto loading if anyone is interested.
It's ugly, but it works if anyone is interested. It means that the installation instructions are going to need to change though...

Nice work!

Provided that you can keep it running for, say, 48 hours without it crashing, I'll be happy to make some changes to the code and documentation to make this option easier to implement Smile

(I'm not 100% convinced that the dev server is suited to this, but if you can prove otherwise then I'm all for this method)

- mrkipling - 2011-11-04

I'm also in agreement that the ability to configure, add remove widgets from within the application is important - it's been on my todo list for a while, but I agree that it's probably wise to implemented before the application grows too much. I'll focus on this next before adding any new features and will report back with progress.

- Livin - 2011-11-04

mrkipling

I don't think I need (based on all the user response you are getting) to repeat how great this work is and how much the community needs and appreciates it... but I will Wink

One non-coding suggestion -- You might want to create 2 separate forum threads to keep things cleaner and easier to follow:

1) User Support

2) Features & Status Updates (reserve the first 4 posts for yourself) & Feature Requests

I've seen so many popular threads become impossible to follow and repeated posts bog things down since the threads are too big and combine too many different subjects.

just a thought.