Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Watchlist script (was 'Adding Plex's 'On Deck' feature to XBMC') - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: Skin helper addons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=300)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Watchlist script (was 'Adding Plex's 'On Deck' feature to XBMC') (/showthread.php?tid=113702)

- GJones - 2012-02-05

bthusby Wrote:Any way to optmize the MySQL DB settings etc. ?

MySQL is not the bottleneck here. The processing of the tv shows is sequential. It calls the database for each tv show separately. The setup and processing of the json for each call take the great majority of the time in the script running.

The only way to improve the speed is to require less database calls (like pulling all the episodes once and then just sorting/filtering in python) or to use a specific query to focus on retrieving very specific information from the database.

- skimshady - 2012-02-05

GJones Wrote:MySQL is not the bottleneck here. The processing of the tv shows is sequential. It calls the database for each tv show separately. The setup and processing of the json for each call take the great majority of the time in the script running.

The only way to improve the speed is to require less database calls (like pulling all the episodes once and then just sorting/filtering in python) or to use a specific query to focus on retrieving very specific information from the database.

How can I do this?

- Martijn - 2012-02-05

bthusby Wrote:How can I do this?

Learn how to code python and rewrite the whole script to use even less resources and database queries

- skimshady - 2012-02-05

Martijn Wrote:Learn how to code python and rewrite the whole script to use even less resources and database queries

oh! Smile

I will start immediately. I am a skilled Perl programmer, just need to decode the Python dialect Wink

Is someone already working on this, or is this a brand new idea/angle?

- Martijn - 2012-02-05

bthusby Wrote:oh! Smile

I will start immediately. I am a skilled Perl programmer, just need to decode the Python dialect Wink

Is someone already working on this, or is this a brand new idea/angle?

see the 0.1.10 version
You can't get less than that. That's the bare minimum I think. The JSON requests just take time.

- `Black - 2012-02-05

Pulling all shows at once won't improve the performance... the database requests are fast, what's slow is the json parsing. At least that's what I think because in my tests there was absolutely no difference if I had 1 (for all shows) database call or 50 (one for every show). So there's currently no way to improve the performance any further.

- skimshady - 2012-02-05

`Black Wrote:Pulling all shows at once won't improve the performance... the database requests are fast, what's slow is the json parsing. At least that's what I think because in my tests there was absolutely no difference if I had 1 (for all shows) database call or 50 (one for every show). So there's currently no way to improve the performance any further.

Can JSON be done any faster then? Is the best Parser being used by XBMC? Has e.g. BSON been considered (http://bsonspec.org)?

I found a small glitch in the new version of the Watchlist script, the "currently watching" thumb for a TV show doesn't show if I stop an episode. Only a default placeholder with the correct text info.

- pecinko - 2012-02-05

bthusby Wrote:I found a small glitch in the new version of the Watchlist script, the "currently watching" thumb for a TV show doesn't show if I stop an episode. Only a default placeholder with the correct text info.

They do here? EDIT: No, you are right. There seems to be a problem with episode thumbs, while season thumbs seems to work.

@ronie

Don't know if it's of big importance:

Code:
02:05:22 T:2955980800   DEBUG: FileManager: copy zip://special%3a%2f%2fhome%2faddons%2fpackages%2fscript%2ewatchlist%2d0%2e1%2e10%2ezip/script.watchlist/README.txt -> special://home/addons/script.watchlist/README.txt
02:05:22 T:2955980800   DEBUG: ADDON: cpluff: 'Plug-in script.watchlist has been uninstalled.'
02:05:22 T:2955980800   DEBUG: ADDON: cpluff: 'Plug-in script.watchlist has been installed.'
02:05:22 T:2955980800   DEBUG: ADDON: cpluff: 'Not all directories were successfully scanned.'
02:05:22 T:2895274688   DEBUG: Previous line repeats 1 times.
02:05:22 T:2895274688   DEBUG: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory ()
02:05:22 T:2895274688   DEBUG:   ParentPath = []
02:05:23 T:2895274688   [b]ERROR: ADDON: extension 'downloader/' is not currently supported for service addon[/b]

- skimshady - 2012-02-05

pecinko Wrote:They do here?

What do you mean? This new error showed up after I updated to the latest Watchlist version. I use the Quartz skin on an ATV2.

- `Black - 2012-02-05

If you look a few pages back, you would know that I'm going to fix that bug. Wink

- Martijn - 2012-02-05

pecinko Wrote:@ronie

Don't know if it's of big importance:

Has nothing to do with this script.

That is from simpledownloader

- pecinko - 2012-02-05

bthusby Wrote:What do you mean? This new error showed up after I updated to the latest Watchlist version. I use the Quartz skin on an ATV2.

Yes, you're right. It appeared for a moment here, but disappeared after a while.

- pecinko - 2012-02-05

`Black Wrote:If you look a few pages back, you would know that I'm going to fix that bug. Wink

Great! Thanks.

- pecinko - 2012-02-06

Guys,

what do you think about including only movie titles that are both unwatched and in progress?

If you play a scene from previously watched movie it gets picked by script. IMHO, most of the time this is not helpful.

What do you say?

- `Black - 2012-02-06

And if you re-watch a movie and stop it in the middle, you might want it to appear in the list. I think a setting for this would be the best solution.