Kodi Community Forum
XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread) (/showthread.php?tid=113824)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

- s7mx1 - 2012-02-29

jammyb Wrote:Plus when did VAT go back to 17.5%?!?!

Also. I have one question.

You get one, wire up tv, power and keyboard/mouse etc.

But how do you switch it on!?!?

You were right. VAT is still at 20%.

There is no power button. See the FAQ on http://www.raspberrypi.org maybe tomorrow when the site switch back to dynamic page.

- s7mx1 - 2012-02-29

krish_2k4 Wrote:VAT is normally included in the price...and they post i quoted said he had free delivery.

Not really. The delivery charge is included in the Farnell price but if you order more than 2 you could knock off a few quids.

- s7mx1 - 2012-02-29

Toontrooper Wrote:Well I've placed my order but not 100% convinced I'll get one. Everywhere is telling us there out of stock.

I believe the earliest you can get from farnell will be one month later.

Your best bet would be RS when they actually receive the stock.

- krish_2k4 - 2012-02-29

s7mx1 Wrote:Not really. The delivery charge is included in the Farnell price but if you order more than 2 you could knock off a few quids.

yea you are right, delivery was included.

- castalla - 2012-02-29

How more cack-handed could this have been arranged?

They were never available in Spain - just 'expression of interest' form after hours of trying to get past the internal server error messages!

- davec6550 - 2012-02-29

Hi All,

I ordered from Farnell at 11am this morning, and they have now sent me a delivery estimate of w/c 16th April. Looks like I'm not getting one from the first batch!

So I've read through all the pages in this thread, and the one bit of info I can't find (or I may have missed) is when this port will be available to try? I'm happy to build from source, but I haven't been able to find that either.

- deanmv - 2012-02-29

Just placed and order on mine but no date of availablity as of yet, but happy to wait as XBMC isn't even out for it at the moment.

davec6550 see here for the build http://www.raspbmc.com/ (Just an note the build isn't available yet, but when it is that will be where it will be announce/released.)

- gimli - 2012-02-29

jammyb Wrote:Plus when did VAT go back to 17.5%?!?!

Also. I have one question.

You get one, wire up tv, power and keyboard/mouse etc.

But how do you switch it on!?!?

The question is more. Is it woth to turn it off with the low power consumption ?

- macf1an - 2012-02-29

go and ask any environmentalist that question... (hint: bring the helmet Smile )

- krish_2k4 - 2012-02-29

pretty amazing to still see Raspberry Pi still trending on twitter! never thought it was going to be this big.

- welshblob - 2012-02-29

Interesting that people got it for £29.46 from Farnell. My pre-order is £26.55 + VAT (£31.86) and the base price seems to include postage. I have also registered my interest at just after 6 with RS.

As for the load on the servers neither distributor is really geared up for the high street consumer website load at sale time and my guess the only sites that may have coped would have been amazon and ebay. Of course this is easy to say in hindsight.

It was disappointing however esp as RS didn't seem to have a clue what was going on and the foundation thought they were supposed to be selling rather than building mailing list! I expect there will be another ddos on their site when they do get stock and start selling them ... joy joy.

Rob

- Milhouse - 2012-03-01

welshblob Wrote:Interesting that people got it for £29.46 from Farnell. My pre-order is £26.55 + VAT (£31.86) and the base price seems to include postage. I have also registered my interest at just after 6 with RS.

My price is the same as yours (UK customer).

The Farnell pricing is a bit cheeky really - it should be closer to £22 ($35 USD is the standard price of the Model B, which is £21.95 GBP using the current exchange rate) and Farnell even claim "free delivery" but of course the delivery charge is bundled into the *unit* price, at almost £4.50!

While it's not too bad when buying only a single unit, if buying multiples of these boards (say three or four) you shouldn't need to pay more than £5 or £6 in total for delivery, but you will of course be paying many times that (up to £20 delivery for just 4x units!) since delivery is part of the unit cost. Maybe they'll offer revised prices for customers buying bulk, but personally I'd rather see the delivery charge split out from the unit cost.

- welshblob - 2012-03-01

MilhouseVH Wrote:My price is the same as yours (UK customer).

The Farnell pricing is a bit cheeky really - it should be closer to £22 ($35 USD is the standard price of the Model B, which is £21.95 GBP using the current exchange rate) and Farnell even claim "free delivery" but of course the delivery charge is bundled into the *unit* price, at almost £4.50!

While it's not too bad when buying only a single unit, if buying multiples of these boards (say three or four) you shouldn't need to pay more than £5 or £6 in total for delivery, but you will of course be paying many times that (up to £20 delivery for just 4x units!) since delivery is part of the unit cost. Maybe they'll offer revised prices for customers buying bulk, but personally I'd rather see the delivery charge split out from the unit cost.

I expect the foundation will sort all these details out in the aftermath of what's happened today as they are very price aware and want to ensure transparency. Its also a shame that there was no paypal payment option which I know they stated they would have.

- krish_2k4 - 2012-03-01

they should of just had a lottery/raffle for the first batch, give everyone an even chance of getting one.

- castalla - 2012-03-01

It was a shambles - Farrell in Spain seemed to have no idea what was going on, and I never got anywhere near any sort of order form - just an expression of interest form, after hours of 'internal server errors'.

Less time spent blogging to fanboys and more on organising the release sales might have been more productive.