Kodi Community Forum
Replacing video card - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Replacing video card (/showthread.php?tid=113877)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Replacing video card - prongATO - 2011-11-04

Finally going to replace my POS ATI graphics card in my main HTPC. I think it's a Raedon 5750 or something like that. I've had nothing but problems with the CCC drivers under windows 7 x64. Horrible flesh tones and over-saturation without screwing with the settings in CCC.

I'm down to either the GT 430 or GT 210. Not much of a difference in price, either way I'd get the 1GB flavor of either one.

My Lexicon preamp is too old to decode HD audio of any type so that's not really a concern. Until I decide to dump 10k on the new Lexicon MC-1 I won't sweat it.

I would prefer fan-less because from my experience the little fans on gpx cards are always LOUD!

Any suggestions between the 210 and 430 are appreciated. I also have it narrowed down between either Zotac or EVGA.

- Beer40oz - 2011-11-04

So you are having problems and with the latest drivers from ATI? 11.10? I am actually getting an ATI card 6570 because I had issues with two different gt430's and a two gt 210's they Macroblock when you FF or RW using DXVA2....

- bluray - 2011-11-04

prongATO Wrote:Finally going to replace my POS ATI graphics card in my main HTPC. I think it's a Raedon 5750 or something like that. I've had nothing but problems with the CCC drivers under windows 7 x64. Horrible flesh tones and over-saturation without screwing with the settings in CCC.

I'm down to either the GT 430 or GT 210. Not much of a difference in price, either way I'd get the 1GB flavor of either one.

My Lexicon preamp is too old to decode HD audio of any type so that's not really a concern. Until I decide to dump 10k on the new Lexicon MC-1 I won't sweat it.

I would prefer fan-less because from my experience the little fans on gpx cards are always LOUD!

Any suggestions between the 210 and 430 are appreciated. I also have it narrowed down between either Zotac or EVGA.
one of these gpu should be very quiet and should be able to bitstream hd audio too- ASUS ENGT520 Silent or HIS H657HS2G Radeon HD 6570

if you want the modern mid-range avr packed of new technologies (network, ipod, usb, internet radio, dts-hd/truehd, audyssey, 3d, up to 11.2 speakers, etc), this onkyo will fit your bill- Onkyo HT-RC270 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Black)

- prongATO - 2011-11-04

bluray Wrote:one of these gpu should be very quiet and should be able to bitstream hd audio too- ASUS ENGT520 Silent or HIS H657HS2G Radeon HD 6570

if you want the modern mid-range avr packed of new technologies (network, ipod, usb, internet radio, dts-hd/truehd, audyssey, 3d, up to 11.2 speakers, etc), this onkyo will fit your bill- Onkyo HT-RC270 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Black)

I have my Lexicon paired with a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature amplifier. There's no way I'd replace my amp/preamp with a receiver. Big Grin

I'm avoiding ati like the plague. I may go xbmclive or linux on this living room system so I'm getting an nvidia based graphics card for sure.

- bluray - 2011-11-04

Beer40oz Wrote:So you are having problems and with the latest drivers from ATI? 11.10? I am actually getting an ATI card 6570 because I had issues with two different gt430's and a two gt 210's they Macroblock when you FF or RW using DXVA2....
it surprised me that he had problem with hd5750. it suppose to be more powerful than my hd5570 and hd6450, and i don't have any problem using the latest catalyst w/ w7 64-bit either.

- bluray - 2011-11-04

prongATO Wrote:I have my Lexicon paired with a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature amplifier. There's no way I'd replace my amp/preamp with a receiver. Big Grin
i thought that you might want a mid-range avr for bitstreaming purpose. i believe it has pre-amp output too.

prongATO Wrote:I'm avoiding ati like the plague. I may go xbmclive or linux on this living room system so I'm getting an nvidia based graphics card for sure.
if you want to bitstream, there is nothing easier than w7 64-bit. you can bitsream it with xbmc and 7mce.

- prongATO - 2011-11-04

bluray Wrote:it surprised me that he had problem with hd5750. it suppose to be more powerful than my hd5570 and hd6450, and i don't have any problem using the latest catalyst w/ w7 64-bit either.

I'll go update my CCC drivers. It's been a while since I did. My biggest gripe has been the fleshtones. Without going into CCC and messing with settings they have a very over-saturated look with red splotches on people's faces.

- Beer40oz - 2011-11-04

prongATO Wrote:I'll go update my CCC drivers. It's been a while since I did. My biggest gripe has been the fleshtones. Without going into CCC and messing with settings they have a very over-saturated look with red splotches on people's faces.

Ok let us know..... Wink nice unRAID rig btw!

- prongATO - 2011-11-04

Beer40oz Wrote:Ok let us know..... Wink nice unRAID rig btw!

I updated the drivers and still have the same problems. I'll get an nvidia card and move this one to a desktop that just runs office type apps. I did install some more ram and that seemed to help with some of the choppiness on cdArt discs spinning. I'd gone down to 2GB system ram and that didn't seem to be enough. I put 2 more in it and things smoothed out quite a bit.

Thanks for the compliment on the unRaid build! I appreciate it. I put a lot of time into researching that build and making sure I got something that will house my data for a long time.

- Beer40oz - 2011-11-04

Oh man that sucks! I just ordered my ATI HD..... see how it goes for me .... it should go good from all the reviews and recommendations + CptHook owns it and made a video that shows its all good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKVRjDaBYNY

- prongATO - 2011-11-04

Found a fanless GT520 for like 50 bucks. I picked that one up. I do zero gaming on my HTPC so it should work out well. I like the lower power consumption too. It will be here Saturday (Amazon prime FTW) and I'll update with my observations.

- bluray - 2011-11-04

prongATO Wrote:I'll go update my CCC drivers. It's been a while since I did. My biggest gripe has been the fleshtones. Without going into CCC and messing with settings they have a very over-saturated look with red splotches on people's faces.
did you update it from here- Graphics Drivers & Software? Have you go into catalyst control center>video settings>advance video color>adjust flesh tone correction?

- bluray - 2011-11-04

prongATO Wrote:Found a fanless GT520 for like 50 bucks. I picked that one up. I do zero gaming on my HTPC so it should work out well. I like the lower power consumption too. It will be here Saturday (Amazon prime FTW) and I'll update with my observations.
you'll enjoy it!

- ion_man - 2011-11-04

prongATO Wrote:Found a fanless GT520 for like 50 bucks. I picked that one up. I do zero gaming on my HTPC so it should work out well. I like the lower power consumption too. It will be here Saturday (Amazon prime FTW) and I'll update with my observations.

Good choice, I also have a GT520, for a HTPC it's better than the GT430 as it's uses less power and therefore generates less heat but at the same time can do all the advanced deinterlacing that the GT430 can do.

The GT430 is only better for gaming.

- outatouch0 - 2011-11-04

Beer40oz Wrote:...because I had issues with two different gt430's and a two gt 210's they Macroblock when you FF or RW using DXVA2....
What do you mean by this Beer? I do not like the ff and rwd experience I have w XMBC but I attribute it to LAN lag. Maybe it is my GT520?