Kodi Community Forum
Simple set up - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Simple set up (/showthread.php?tid=114158)

Pages: 1 2

Simple set up - rocks911 - 2011-11-07

I have played with XBMC/Eventghost/Snapstream Firefly remote control for a week or so now and have come to the conclusion that I dont have the time or knowledge base to tweak this to a level where it is reliable and usable, especially to my wife.

I'm a 50 year old fireman and while I enjoy tech and gadgets I dont know nearly enough and am often lost in forums where the intricacies of getting all this to work is gibberish to me.

I have become alienated from the major manufacturers and their prodcuts because Microsoft only plays really well with Microsoft, and Sony only plays really well with Sony, etc. etc. so the result is if you want to stay on the cutting edge of tech you have to choose one horse to run with or go open source and be totally lost, which is where I am now.

I absolutely love XBMC and although I dont have a complicated set up I cant control get it to work like I would like to be able to. I saw a Youtube vid that got me interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR9-vahLi1s
And I thought "yeah I'd like that set up", well clearly that guy writes code or is otherwise a genius because his mix of devices that work so well for him are the same devices I own and I cant even get in and out of XBMC with my remote alone but have to walk upstairs to use the mouse. I was being assisted at Event Ghost by a kind soul and even the baby steps had me lost.

I suppose my question is...is there a friggin RF remote that works with XBMC/W7 without having to immerse oneself into a whole programming world of tech specific language that I cant seem to grasp?

I think my instincts are good, I'm tired of proprietary systems that loop you endlessly back to their product line and their store, but unfortunately I'm not equipped to deal with the seemingly endless learning curve that goes with open source.

Or maybe is there a tech who visits this site and lives in the Dallas area that could help me out for a fee?

- jhsrennie - 2011-11-07

The majority of MCE remotes will work with XBMC with only very minor tweaking. Have a look at http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Control_Reviews for a selection of remotes people have used with XBMC.

The eHome remotes are generally the best. To use these just install the MCERemote add-on. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Using_a_Microsoft_remote_control_in_Windows for a bit more detail.

Eventghost is generally unnecessary and just makes things complicated.

JR

- blacklist - 2011-11-07

Microsoft Media Center Remote. I use it on 3 TVs and it just works, out of the box, no programming required.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=ppwl&cp=23&gs_id=o&xhr=t&q=microsoft+media+center+remote&qe=bWljcm9zb2Z0IG1lZGlhIGNlbnRlciA&qesig=JyADmlz63p6_ofd8TGzhwg&pkc=AFgZ2tmZcDe9quvSKAYLpWBTMh64CUOvi_T_hIvdAcWjTST_fULNsIAaUslBC-zKSvWjLkgF13rEyyU4CrDwjzbzuR-Atgr1-w&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS439US439&nord=1&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&ion=1&biw=1366&bih=705&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11549621085619752570&sa=X&ei=iiW4TvvBAsTMsQKI0NjtAw&sqi=2&ved=0CFoQ8wIwBA

- rocks911 - 2011-11-07

Thanks for the replies. Before I waste any more money I need to be sure the remote I buy has a good RF range and as many operable buttons to work the XBMC program as possible.

- natethomas - 2011-11-07

Beware, the remotes listed all are IR remotes. If you want RF, range, and a ton of buttons, you'd probably be better of getting some kind of media center keyboard.

- DJVege - 2011-11-08

Hey mate,

Before you purchase anything else, I run xbmc on windows, with eventghost and the snapstream firefly remote. So I'm sure I can get you up and running (if you have the patience to try one more time). It is definitely a little tricky at first, but once you get the basics down, you'll be fine.

If you want to go down this path, let me know what operating system you're running and we'll go from there.

- rocks911 - 2011-11-08

Thanks for the reply Nate,

I'm working on tweaking Aeon Nox right now and it's layout requires incredibly few buttons, I can get around with a directional (left, right, up, down) center OK button and an exit button. So My Firefly seems at this point to do what I need it to. So really I dont need a bunch of buttons, at least if I stick with Aeon Nox. I must have a good range RF remote though.

- TheAstronaut - 2011-11-08

Have you considered purchasing a cheap tablet or iPod touch and using one of the XBMC remote apps? XBMC Commander on the iPad/iPhone works great for me. I can play any of my media from the app without even picking up a remote.

- rocks911 - 2011-11-08

DJVege Wrote:Hey mate,

Before you purchase anything else, I run xbmc on windows, with eventghost and the snapstream firefly remote. So I'm sure I can get you up and running (if you have the patience to try one more time). It is definitely a little tricky at first, but once you get the basics down, you'll be fine.

If you want to go down this path, let me know what operating system you're running and we'll go from there.

Thanks DJ for the reply. I'm running W7 Home Premium 64 bit. I hate to be a bother. It seems that with Aeon Nox what I have programmed in the Firefly is working for me so I'll holler at ya if this goes all wrong (fingers crossed) right now my challenge is in getting Aeon Nox tweaked, man are there settings, and settings for settings, and settings for settings for settings. Clearly that is a good thing but the learning curve can be steep.

Thanks for the reply, and to everybody who takes the time to help a hopeless ignorant techie wannabe.

- DJVege - 2011-11-09

rocks911 Wrote:Thanks DJ for the reply. I'm running W7 Home Premium 64 bit. I hate to be a bother. It seems that with Aeon Nox what I have programmed in the Firefly is working for me so I'll holler at ya if this goes all wrong (fingers crossed) right now my challenge is in getting Aeon Nox tweaked, man are there settings, and settings for settings, and settings for settings for settings. Clearly that is a good thing but the learning curve can be steep.

Thanks for the reply, and to everybody who takes the time to help a hopeless ignorant techie wannabe.

Not a bother at all. I have dabbled with Aeon, but not Aeon Nox. I'm a Transparency fan at the moment.

However, if you need help with this skin settings, make sure to check out the skins sub forum. There is a specific one for Aeon related skins, too.

Good luck.

- rocks911 - 2011-11-09

DJVege,

I sent you a message about EG

- DJVege - 2011-11-09

You have mail. Smile

- XMBC_FREAK - 2011-11-29

WHY RF WHEN YOU CAN WIFI

Buy a used tablet of ebay...install any webserver plugins instant remote.

You won't need to bother with rf or complication since your wifi router signal will be more than enough...

any tablet with wifi will work as a webremote...OS doesn't matter

I wont mention what some remotes cost and they still wont have the wow factor a tablet of 8" or above will. PLus its touchscreen which is killer IMHO

- Death-Axe - 2011-11-29

TheAstronaut Wrote:Have you considered purchasing a cheap tablet or iPod touch and using one of the XBMC remote apps? XBMC Commander on the iPad/iPhone works great for me. I can play any of my media from the app without even picking up a remote.

Buying a tablet just for a remote? you must be bloody crazy mate. Either that or you have more money than sense.

There is a remote made especially for XBMC available in the us, forgot the name of it now though. There is a topic on it somewhere on here.

- Rocky5 - 2011-11-29

Bought myself one of these, Xenta Wireless Mini Keyboard Touchpad

http://www.ebuyer.com/250233-xenta-wireless-mini-keyboard-with-touchpad-and-multimedia-keys-usb-pkb-1720

Works great & it's small, only thing I dint like was the keymap in XBMC but that was easily fixed.

My play & stop buttons are now Select & Back when not viewing media in fullscreen.