Kodi Community Forum
Apple TV1 with Crystal HD Card: OpenELEC vs XBMC for ATV? Dual Boot? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: Apple TV1 with Crystal HD Card: OpenELEC vs XBMC for ATV? Dual Boot? (/showthread.php?tid=114209)

Apple TV1 with Crystal HD Card: OpenELEC vs XBMC for ATV? Dual Boot? - crashnburn - 2011-11-08

Apple TV1 with Crystal HD Card: OpenELEC Build vs XBMC for ATV w Crystal HD support?

I have the Broadcom Cystal HD card.

What would be better, faster? I've heard Open ELEC is much snappier.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Also, lets say I begin my journey towards OpenELEC on my ATV1 I am wondering how to do the following?

1- Procedure (How to) to build an OpenELEC on USB Pen Drive/ Stick for TESTING PURPOSES ONLY on ATV 1 + Crystal HD Card - URL/ Files?

2- Procedure (How to) to permanently install OpenELEC on HDD: ATV 1 + Crystal HD Card - URL/ Files?

3- Procedure (How to) to restore the above OpenELEC ATV1 back to Original ATV OS - URL/ Files?
Assuming that I want original Apple TV OS back.

4- Is it at all possible to have a dual boot on ATV1? :

1. OpenELEC (Default)
2. Original ATV OS?

Thoughts, examples/ URLs on this direction?
Could this be done and if so how?

- m_lopez_h - 2011-11-09

I've tried ATV1 with OpenELEC, with OSX + XBMC w/crystalhd support and with crystalbuntu.

Hands down, crystalbuntu offered the best user experience. Full 1080p output, audio over HDMI, fast responsive UI, autoupdating. You can test crystalbuntu on USB stick or install on the HD (note: you will lose the stock OS).

http://www.stmlabs.com/projects/crystalhd-for-appletv/

- grey - 2011-11-09

another vote for crystalubuntu here

- crashnburn - 2011-11-09

Double post.

m_lopez_h Wrote:I've tried ATV1 with OpenELEC, with OSX + XBMC w/crystalhd support and with crystalbuntu.

Hands down, crystalbuntu offered the best user experience. Full 1080p output, audio over HDMI, fast responsive UI, autoupdating. You can test crystalbuntu on USB stick or install on the HD (note: you will lose the stock OS).

http://www.stmlabs.com/projects/crystalhd-for-appletv/

Oh wow! Crystal Buntu was faster/snappier than OpenELEC? Or just had more features?

Any thoughts on your experiences?

ALSO - If someone ever wanted go back to original OS how to do that?

- Ned Scott - 2011-11-09

crashnburn Wrote:Oh wow! Crystal Buntu was faster/snappier than OpenELEC? Or just had more features?

Any thoughts on your experiences?

ALSO - If someone ever wanted go back to original OS how to do that?

Make an image of all the partitions on the drive or find someone with one (google shows lots of links).

Make an image how? I cant run Norton/ Acronis or similar stuff on the ATV right?

How to image the ATV1 partitions?

- Ned Scott - 2011-11-10

Assuming you have the smart update or whatever it's called installed and have mouse abilities, hook up a keyboard and mouse (use a hub) and use something like Disk Utility.app (transfer it over using SFTP).

Or you can just open up the ATV1 and use an inexpensive PATA-to-USB adapter. Those are a life saver for so many situations. Get the ones that does 2.5/3.5 PATA and SATA.

- crashnburn - 2011-11-10

Ned Scott Wrote:Assuming you have the smart update or whatever it's called installed and have mouse abilities, hook up a keyboard and mouse (use a hub) and use something like Disk Utility.app (transfer it over using SFTP).

I am not familiar with this Smart Update? How can I install this? Does it install via ATV menu where Xbmc is installed?

DiskUtility? From OSX? Will I be able to run that on here.. How?

I had heard that this thing was running in a lighter version of OSX?

Ned Scott Wrote:Or you can just open up the ATV1 and use an inexpensive PATA-to-USB adapter. Those are a life saver for so many situations. Get the ones that does 2.5/3.5 PATA and SATA.

I'd prefer not to go that direction.. Smile Lets hope I can understand the FORMER method.. from your guidance.

- tuckbodi - 2011-11-10

crashnburn Wrote:ALSO - If someone ever wanted go back to original OS how to do that?

From Sam's image (crystalubuntu) you have the option to install crystalubuntu onto the internal drive over the ATV OS but as of his Oct image, he now allows the option to recover back to the original ATV OS via the same method you put crystalubuntu on there (via the stick).

The only issue I've run into with Sam's image off the internal drive, is attached hard drives to the USB are readonly. There are workarounds to make them readwrite by adding some commands to rc.local but they are workarounds.

Other than that, his image works great and he updates it monthly with new stuff. When I used OpenElec ages ago it seemed buggy, hard to install and didn't seem to get updated too often.

- Ned Scott - 2011-11-10

crashnburn Wrote:I am not familiar with this Smart Update? How can I install this? Does it install via ATV menu where Xbmc is installed?

DiskUtility? From OSX? Will I be able to run that on here.. How?

I had heard that this thing was running in a lighter version of OSX?

You should be bale to install it (smart update/combo update/something like that) from NitoTV. Just about anything that runs on Mac OS X 10.4 will be able to run on the ATV1, once mouse support is enabled.

I think.

AwkwardTV has a bunch of great info on this.

- Hansaplast - 2012-02-21

crashnburn Wrote:Procedure (How to) to restore the above OpenELEC ATV1 back to Original ATV OS - URL/ Files?

A short description can be found here - possibly the same tool mentioned before. It's a straight forward process - wish there was an installer like the one for Crystalbuntu for the OpenElec setup.

(does anyone know an easy to follow and current step-by-step guide for OpenElec for ATV1?)

So far with Crystalbuntu; slow boot, otherwise fast and a great user experience. Just the power management (standby/hibernate/shutdown) has it's issues.