Kodi Community Forum
Need help building my HTPC (picoPSU related) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Need help building my HTPC (picoPSU related) (/showthread.php?tid=114353)

Need help building my HTPC (picoPSU related) - Balinus - 2011-11-10

Hello! Just received all my parts! Smile I'm in the building process and I have some problem figuring out what to do with my picoPSU.

Here's some photos of what I received as a picoPSU :

Part #1

Part #2

So, I'm guessing that I need to connect somwhow part #2 with #1 that has all the actual power... but how? I only succeed at connecting the smaller 4-pin (white color), but there's to slot on the ATX 24pin that I can plug it in.

Any hint or help would be greatly appreciated! All picoPSU I see on the web are already connected through hard-soldering!

- Balinus - 2011-11-10

Ok, I've connected the smaller 4-pin like this :

So, if I'm right, this little 4-pin connector will give power to 1 molex, 1 SATA and the 4pin ATX 12v connector?

edit - There is still the slightly bigger 4-pin that I can't seem to plug into the part #1.... and I guess it's not meant to be connected to the MB.
edit2- Ah... the 2nd white connecter looks like a floppy drive power connector! oups...

- Balinus - 2011-11-10

Ok, it works!

Now, I have another problem. When I connect the PSU, all the fans are spinning and the HDD is "alive". But the computer is OFF! Then I turn the PC and the fans slow down, POST, everthing....

So, how come fans and HDD can be ON, when the PC is OFF??

- eskro - 2011-11-10

so your saying its alive!?

- Balinus - 2011-11-10

Well, just installed W7.

But, as I said, all the fans are spinning at full and HDD is powered up when the computer is OFF !??

- eskro - 2011-11-10

check in BIOS options but, thats weird o.O

- WhiteLighter - 2011-11-10

I know you can connect the green wire with the black wire on an ordinary PSU to jump start it even without the MoBo. Maybe on your picoPSU, those wire are in contact with each other? just a thought...

- numb7rs - 2011-11-11

It looks like the connector plugs into other places on the picoPSU. Try these? (It should be obvious if it does/doesn't fit.)

If you get the same effect, then the most probable explanation is a fault with the PSU. As it's new, I'd recommend contacting the supplier and getting it replaced.

- Balinus - 2011-11-11

The bahaviour happens even if it's only the 24pin ATX that is connected. Though in this case, the HDD is not powered. So, sadly, I also thini it's the PSU.

Alternatively, could it be the motherboard? The USB 2.0 behind doesn't seem to work properly.

- eskro - 2011-11-11

yes, can be the motherboard, and thats what i think it is,,,
somehow, electricity travels through it at places it shouldnt,,,

- Balinus - 2011-11-11

WhiteLighter Wrote:I know you can connect the green wire with the black wire on an ordinary PSU to jump start it even without the MoBo. Maybe on your picoPSU, those wire are in contact with each other? just a thought...

I would have to open up the picoPSU to see that unfortunatly. I think I might just return the MB and the picoPSU....

- eskro - 2011-11-11

PSU is fine i believe

- Balinus - 2011-11-11

I'm not so sure. The picoPSU is supposed to be fully ATX compliant. So, when we turn OFF the computer, all voltages should shut down, except for the +5VSB. So, if the fans and HDD are receiving power, it could mean that the picoPSU is not shutting down properly the 12V power.

Well, the MB is at the computer shop, I should have some results later today on the MB. If they can power the MB correctly, the picoPSU will be the only remaining suspect.

- eskro - 2011-11-11

farewell, keep us updated!