Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? (/showthread.php?tid=114612)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

- Ballistic - 2012-02-21

Is there a ready to try version of this available already? (without compiling etc) Coding would be like learning Chinese for me Sad

Maybe someone could supply the files that have been changed in order to run it headless?

- prot - 2012-03-01

Ballistic Wrote:Is there a ready to try version of this available already? (without compiling etc) Coding would be like learning Chinese for me Sad

Maybe someone could supply the files that have been changed in order to run it headless?

that is exactly what I asked a while ago but I guess it is too much extra work for such a small project

@bladesuk
still no luck with the beta3 version?
and btw, after reading a bit more about the XBMC architecture and the funny game-like GUI update thread, I do not give this solution many chances. Sounds like the only solution for a real XBMC server is to pack all server functionality (lib update, web interface, dlna) in a new app.

- niietzshe - 2012-03-09

Can this be compiled on Arm? I've seen xbmc run on a beagleboard so thought this might do the job.
I'm planning on getting a pogoplugv4 which you can run archlinux on.

The idea is to have this little machine always on, do sickbeard, couchpotato etc, copy files over to a drobo and update the XBMC library (which is centralised mysql). So when I turn on one of my other, more power hungry machines, all my content will be there waiting for me.

What are my chances of achieving this on such a device?
Thanks for any ideas
Niietzshe

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - vajonam - 2012-03-12

I tired merging in the changes into the Eden branch, but when started with the --server switch it errors out with Unable to create Application. Exiting. any ideas?

edit: cherry picked the proper commit this time, seems to work okay will do some testing over the week.

I have created forked an update Eden repo here and merged in blades changes.

https://github.com/vajonam/xbmc/tree/Eden-Server

thanks and great work!

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - Odon - 2012-03-13

(2012-03-12, 16:08)vajonam Wrote: I tired merging in the changes into the Eden branch, but when started with the --server switch it errors out with Unable to create Application. Exiting. any ideas?

edit: cherry picked the proper commit this time, seems to work okay will do some testing over the week.

I have created forked an update Eden repo here and merged in blades changes.

thanks and great work!

Great work, i'll give it a try as soon as my server is up again : )

RC2-based ?

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - rflores2323 - 2012-04-17

how is this coming along? anyone have this working as a centralized server?

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - Basje - 2012-04-17

I am also curious. This 'headless' version would be very nice. Will try out some stuff today.

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - Odon - 2012-04-17

I have vajonam version running 24/24 7/7 on my home server to periodically update library.

Be careful, if you try the web interface, launching a video through it crashes XBMC.

Edit: As written by vajonam, server version is not in the master branch of his repo, so don't forget to branch to Eden-Server before compiling.

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - vajonam - 2012-04-17

finally got around to updating this for Eden final.

should have the code compiling, I have been running this quite successfully.

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - Basje - 2012-04-17

(2012-04-17, 21:27)Odon Wrote: I have vajonam version running 24/24 7/7 on my home server to periodically update library.

Be careful, if you try the web interface, launching a video through it crashes XBMC.

Edit: As written by vajonam, server version is not in the master branch of his repo, so don't forget to branch to Eden-Server before compiling.

Damn, just a bit too late reading this. Checking out the branch right now. Sad

Would this work on a Windows compile too?

EDIT: build is broken for windows: http://pastebin.com/YAmG9thv

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - vajonam - 2012-04-17

sorry I dont have a windows environment seems like its a pretty generic error.

FC: cannot open ..\..\XBMC\WIN32\GIT_REV.H - No such file or folder

not sure how to fix this or why this is missing on the eden, if you mange to fix let me know can I can include this.

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - vajonam - 2012-04-18

I am not sure this problem is specific to my fork, there is git_rev.tmpl that needs to get converted to git_rev.h, on Linux there is ./bootstrap and ./configure that sets all those up, is there an equivalent in Win32?

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - Basje - 2012-04-18

Nope, there was a typoo in a file: "\xbmc\Application.cpp"

Code:
void CApplication::Process()
{
  MEASURE_FUNCTION;
  if (g_application.IsServerMode())
  {
    Sleep(1);
  }

Has Sleep(1) without the capital S. Changed it to the code above and now it compiles.

I do wonder what the easiest way is to configure this? The sources and mysql DB should not be an issue via sources.xml and advancedsettings.xml but the scraper settings (TVDB, TMDB (specifically the 'Get rarting from IMDB')). I guess I can configure it on a normal XBMC and then copy the profile?

RE: - Robotica - 2012-04-18

(2012-02-03, 01:18)Robotica Wrote:
Odon Wrote:Regarding configuration, from my own experience:
- configure somewhere a Eden Beta XBMC in portable mode, with GUI
- sources
- Install Addon Service LibraryAutoUpdate
- Activate/Configure WebServer
- copy userdata and addon folder to your headless XBMC install configuration folder (linux: <user>/.xbmc/)

To lower cpu usage:
Use a profile and turn everything of you don't need: RSS, upnp, etc.

Maybe using a very simple skin can also help since XBMC is started and maybe still lot's of gui-code is still executed...

Maybe you can post some cpu usage (compared to full xbmc)?

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - Odon - 2012-04-19

I should give it a look, but it is pretty low.

My Linux VM which hosts the XBMC server also hosts:
- SickBeard
- CouchPotato
- HeadPhone
- few other services

ESXi give a mean CPU usage of less than 100MHz (from one i5-2400 core)

Without server implementation (with desktop added to VM), i was nearly at 100% usage on the single vCPU.