Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? (/showthread.php?tid=114612)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - eitai2001 - 2012-05-01

(2012-05-01, 23:25)Basje Wrote:
(2012-05-01, 23:18)eitai2001 Wrote:
(2012-05-01, 13:18)davilla Wrote: why would you want the $HOME/.xbmc to be hidden Smile

Ok, well ... I've made it unhiddem ... but still having the same issue as mentioned...

Check the GIT syntax. Perhaps it's not correct?

I'd appreciate any help Smile ... I have no idea how to use GIT, I'm just trying to follow what Odon wrote for me ... I'm only 1 week into every using linux server and commands Tongue ... I simply want the headless XBMC, and have no idea what I'm doing (first time I'm using XBMC too Tongue )

It worked if I left out the -t ... hope thats ok :/

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - Odon - 2012-05-02

Sorry I made a mistake Sad

git checkout -t remotes/origin/Eden-Server

(you can list branch with "git branch -a")

After git checkout you can check that you have the proper version by editing:
<repo_dir>/xbmc/settings/AppParamParser.cpp
where you can search and find for "--server" (e.g. on this line: printf(" -s or --server\t\tXBMC runs in a server mode i.e. without a gui \n") )

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - dhead - 2012-06-19

I love this idea, I had some thoughts about this myself.

I'm not a developer, so I can't help with coding, and I'm guessing still much have to be done on just having this branch stable with no gui, meaning full implementation won't be near, but I can still write my thoughts and ideas.

I'm also aware that xbmc greatness derived from the open source community and the ability to include existing code thus getting away from allot of time consuming tasks and some coding that needed to be done by experts (like the video decoding).

1. Just making xbmc and scrapers addons run with no gui is great but with no some dedicated server-client communication protocol the full potential of a server will be missed.
Like having the ability to sync video & audio playback between clients and having the control from one client (or any) or from the server (by web gui or android remote).
By this with low cost clients like the Raspberry Pi you can get an open source multi zone audio solution.
(although this may be similar or exact to Airplay)

2. Xbmc server shouldn't be a server.
Meaning that it shouldn't be confined.
For example you can run xbmc with no gui but still have the music player thus enabling a remote controlled audio clients.
I guess there are users that would not have a dedicated server, so being able to set one of the clients also as a server would be nice.

3. Having multiple xbmc servers that can share the db is a must.
For example you can have multiple nas servers running xbmc, one share movies from 10T raid, another just music from silent low powered ssd.
Another one could be a tv server locate near the antenna/dish, so no need to run coax cables across the house.
With the ability to share the db (and sync it) you don't need the servers running all the time only the current used ones, thus saving power.
So again communication is the key.

Just 2 cents.

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - vicbitter - 2012-06-19

With the latest (frodo) code from head you now create a libxbmc.so shared library that can be used to create your own CLI (or server-based) XBMC applications...

Here is a sample Video Library scanner application that uses libxbmc.so to update XBMC's Video Library...

http://pastebin.com/WpEvRTws

Enjoy!

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - kingmob - 2012-06-20

(2012-06-19, 20:40)vicbitter Wrote: With the latest (frodo) code from head you now create a libxbmc.so shared library that can be used to create your own CLI (or server-based) XBMC applications...

Here is a sample Video Library scanner application that uses libxbmc.so to update XBMC's Video Library...

http://pastebin.com/WpEvRTws

Enjoy!
This is a fantastic solution, I really should start digging in the xbmc code. Have tried in the past but found it very hard to read Sad

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - prot - 2012-07-08

many Thanks to blades & everyone who contributed to the Eden-server branch. You may call it ugly, poor-man's-solution, etc... but it Just Works! The code is available *now* and does exactly what I needed. The server works fine and has less than 1% proc usage (the normal XBMC had over 20% even after I enabled all sorts of optimizations like vert sync, GUI update regions, etc)

And one extra Q.
The xbmc configure script has many options and looks like a lot of them could/should be disabled in a headless environment (just run "./configure --help" for a complete list).
The command I am currently using is :

Code:
./configure --disable-optical-drive --disable-airplay --disable-airtunes --enable-ccache --disable-debug --disable-joystick

Did anyone play with other options?
A complete list of options that could/should be disabled would be really nice.

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - erolosty - 2012-07-10

I'd still like to see server mode as well as it would tie in nicely to services that notify xbmc when downloads are complete (couchpotato, sickbeard, headphones etc)

RE: [LINUX] xbmc server: possible quick implementation? - manxam - 2012-07-11

Check out THIS thread if you don't mind compiling a nightly by yourself. I've edited the script as per the dev. to keep it running as a "Server" so that you can still access the web server and updatevideolibrary etc.

It works perfectly btw...