Kodi Community Forum
[Micro-ATX] A8-3850 (4x2.9Ghz) + HD6550D - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: [Micro-ATX] A8-3850 (4x2.9Ghz) + HD6550D (/showthread.php?tid=114890)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

- VortexDK - 2012-03-06

malte Wrote:What about A8-3850 together with Big Shuriken 2? Sometimes I read it is ok, sometimes not. Thinking about the same build and still not decided if the cooler will be ok.

well I have read through the hole thread now and ended up concluding that the Big Shuriken 2 would be great for the A8-3850 and more quiet than the original which could be vary noisy after some time with normal use.

- Jetster - 2012-03-06

eskro Wrote:as of today, i'd say Flip to i3 CPU if your after serious hardcore heavy gaming with your HTPC..
because if your only gonna play emulators up to N64 or Dreamcast,
A8-3850 handles those without a hitch!
And it handles even more!
have you checked the A8-3850's gaming video review?
see it here --> A8-3850 Gaming Performance Comparison
good stuff Smile

Great video

- mmajstor - 2012-03-06

VortexDK Wrote:well I have read through the hole thread now and ended up concluding that the Big Shuriken 2 would be great for the A8-3850 and more quiet than the original which could be vary noisy after some time with normal use.

Well I am using that combination for a some time. It is important what motherboard that you choose. Different motherboards have different system of monitoring and management of fans. For example Gigabyte DMA mainboards have only two options - normal speed and smart speed. Of course that smart speed would be the choice, and if the case is not so small and not so hot, your Shuriken would be quiet. But if it is hot, mainboard would increase the rpm from time to time, ofcourse with some noise. ASRock is only board which has the smallest dimensions which is good advantage. And it offers more freedom in fans managament. You can define desired temperature of cpu, and desired speed of Fan, both for cpu and case fan.

- VortexDK - 2012-03-07

mmajstor Wrote:Well I am using that combination for a some time. It is important what motherboard that you choose. Different motherboards have different system of monitoring and management of fans. For example Gigabyte DMA mainboards have only two options - normal speed and smart speed. Of course that smart speed would be the choice, and if the case is not so small and not so hot, your Shuriken would be quiet. But if it is hot, mainboard would increase the rpm from time to time, ofcourse with some noise. ASRock is only board which has the smallest dimensions which is good advantage. And it offers more freedom in fans managament. You can define desired temperature of cpu, and desired speed of Fan, both for cpu and case fan.

It sure sounds nice with some freedom to adjust CPU temp vs Fan speed, really looking forward the arrival of my new hardware.

- mmajstor - 2012-03-07

And it is not very bad for gaming. I played Skyrim in medium details and resolution 1600x900, and it was very smooth. Then you can hear Shuriken 2 who gives it best to cool the cpu, but it is not so terrible.
In idle mod, it is pretty much silent.

- mmajstor - 2012-03-07

bluray Wrote:Try to playback some BD with the fans, and then observe the temperature and noise. If it is too noisy, you can disconnect the fans and playback some BD, and then observe the temperature and noise. If the temperature is okay without the fan, you can leave it disconnect.

Bluray is silent in playback mode of some movie. It is noisy only when installing something from it, or recording. Of course, it depends from player/recorder to player/recorder but this is just general observation.

- bluray - 2012-03-07

mmajstor Wrote:Bluray is silent in playback mode of some movie. It is noisy only when installing something from it, or recording. Of course, it depends from player/recorder to player/recorder but this is just general observation.
I hope that we are talking about the same thing, which is Lian-li PC-C36 case fans!

- malte - 2012-03-07

@VortexDK, mmajstor:
Thanks for the input. Then I guess I will try this combination with an ASRock mobo, too. I have an SST GD04, I guess there is enough additional airflow.

(But I have to wait until next month, so a lot of things can happen in betweenSmile)

- mmajstor - 2012-03-07

bluray Wrote:I hope that we are talking about the same thing, which is Lian-li PC-C36 case fans!

Now I get it. Btw. great case. First I thought that low height would be a problem, but if you are geting PSU with the case than it is ok. Disadvantage is 70mm fans which can be noisy. Maybe better test it to try playing some game and check how the fans would behave.

- mmajstor - 2012-03-07

malte Wrote:@VortexDK, mmajstor:
Thanks for the input. Then I guess I will try this combination with an ASRock mobo, too. I have an SST GD04, I guess there is enough additional airflow.

(But I have to wait until next month, so a lot of things can happen in betweenSmile)

That is spacy case, so you don`t need to be picky about the motherboard, and I think that one case fan should be enough. At the other hand it seems to be that ASRock has the lowest raw quality of the components, which relates to the price. But it will finish the job.

- malte - 2012-03-07

mmajstor Wrote:That is spacy case, so you don`t need to be picky about the motherboard, and I think that one case fan should be enough. At the other hand it seems to be that ASRock has the lowest raw quality of the components, which relates to the price. But it will finish the job.
Very important for me is CPU fan management (atm I have a Zotac ION-ITX board that comes without any fan control which is very annoying). Unfortunately most mobo tests just review performance and overclocking capabilities but not fan management. So it is hard to get good info about it. I was quite happy that you mentioned a good fan management for this board. But if you know any other (better?) boards that also have a good fan control I would be happy to know.

- bluray - 2012-03-07

mmajstor Wrote:Now I get it. Btw. great case. First I thought that low height would be a problem, but if you are geting PSU with the case than it is ok. Disadvantage is 70mm fans which can be noisy. Maybe better test it to try playing some game and check how the fans would behave.
The included case fan might be a little noisy, but you can easily replace it with a very low dBA case fan- EVERCOOL EGF-7 70mm Case Fan. With a better 70mm fan, it should be very silent!

- mmajstor - 2012-03-07

I have experience only with these two boards. One fan which is going into to board (AsRock) can be reduced to minimum speed, so it wouldn`t be noisy....of course if this minimum speed pulls enough of fresh air.

Gaming options? - alexbo - 2012-03-08

I finally have my Windows system pretty well built, quiet fans, good remote, software mostly working (I'm still trying to get Shairport stable...). Now I'm starting to wonder what else this baby can do!

Can anyone give me some ideas for what sort of gaming this can do? Obviously low-mid level PC games would work, and I saw someone mention Skyrim on medium settings. What about things that might give a more console-like experience? I was wondering if I could make any use out of Kinect for PC?

Also, regarding the desire to play more games on this system (or Skyrim on high settings!), would a recommended course of action be to buy a bigger+better video card? Or rather to buy another video card that matches the one built on the chip so that they can work in some sort of dual-mode? Just curious what's most cost-effective, and how much benefit it would give.

Basically I want to know anything and everything this system can do, so I'm curious what ideas other people have had.

- bluray - 2012-03-08

alexbo Wrote:Or rather to buy another video card that matches the one built on the chip so that they can work in some sort of dual-mode?

Basically I want to know anything and everything this system can do, so I'm curious what ideas other people have had.
Here is AMD crossfire list for APU- AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics