Kodi Community Forum
[Micro-ATX] A8-3850 (4x2.9Ghz) + HD6550D - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: [Micro-ATX] A8-3850 (4x2.9Ghz) + HD6550D (/showthread.php?tid=114890)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

- bluray - 2012-01-06

FoulPlay Wrote:i bought this exact setup per your recomendation in my other thread. Now i havnt installed xbmc on it yet, im doing windows updates, right now i have it hooked to my 1080p 50 inch panasonic plasma, by default it wasnt filling the whole screen i had to use a scaling option is this normal? is there a better way of doing it? i want my movies to be coming in crystal clear.
If you have AMD GPU, the scaling option in CCC that you used is probably the easiest way. As far PQ, you can try the default settings in CCC first. If you don't like the PQ, you can try to disable most options in CCC Video Setting.

- Beer40oz - 2012-01-06

bluray Wrote:If you have AMD GPU, the scaling option in CCC that you used is probably the easiest way. As far PQ, you can try the default settings in CCC first. If you don't like the PQ, you can try to disable most options in CCC Video Setting.

I never used that.... in fact never touched CCC... just looked at it and everything was set correctly.

- bluray - 2012-01-06

Beer40oz Wrote:I never used that.... in fact never touched CCC... just looked at it and everything was set correctly.
Some of the larger HDTV cannot natively fill the screen, underscan/overscan option is the easiest way to fill it or you can manually adjust it too. I have to do this with my 56" HTPC! Smile

- eskro - 2012-01-06

yeah either your HDTV has a FIT ALL feature
or just use Scan settings for fill it up

- FoulPlay - 2012-01-09

question with this setup how do i get wake on lan feature to work. I have it enabled in the network adapaters settings but it doesnt work. Im trying to use xbmc commander on my ipad to do it. Anyone give me some pointers?

- TeKo - 2012-01-09

Activated in BIOS?

And did you enter the mac into the app, never used it but you need ip+mac for WOL to work.

You should see the light at the lan port when the PC is off, I thinks its orange.

- Deviant Khan - 2012-01-10

I'm seriously considering the A8-3850 build, but I have a few questions.

I intend to use it for 1080p playback, streaming 1080p, and gaming. What's the realistic limit on the gaming? I saw reference that you can do some things, but not everything.

- eskro - 2012-01-11

dont wanna be harsh to you Deviant Khan but,
man, why do u stir away from the parts i suggest?

there's a reason why i suggest the Seasonic PSU and not the Corsair CX430.
#1 its high end quality
#2 not clearance issue when buying/using an optical drive

same thing for ram, i listed the best ram in my opinion and link to them.

the gaming part is pretty decent on the A8-3850 as it is.
if down the road your not happy with the games u run,
simply buy a video card made for gaming and thats it.

and actually, dont know if u plan on overclocking but,
if your into that, for like ~$10 more only,
grab the unlocked version of the A8-3850 called --> A8-3870K

if u plan on getting a new cooler, becareful on the TDP it supports.
the scythe one in your post has TDP 65W,
means, it handles 65W CPU's correctly....

- Deviant Khan - 2012-01-11

eskro Wrote:dont wanna be harsh to you Deviant Khan but,
man, why do u stir away from the parts i suggest?

Only because of price. A 60% reduction on what was priced equivalent to the same item is pretty considerable. I don't doubt that head-to-head at the same price the Seasonic or Antec is superior. If the disparity between the Corsair and the other two are not that significant then it might become a determining factor.

Please don't take it the wrong way. If I didn't value your and other's opinions I wouldn't take the time to post my questions. I certainly appreciate the patience while I try to ramp up my learning curve.

If the clearance on the Corsair is an eliminating factor then great since the decision is made.

eskro Wrote:same thing for ram, i listed the best ram in my opinion and link to them.

I should have just asked it as a general question. Is speed or latency more important?

eskro Wrote:if u plan on getting a new cooler, becareful on the TDP it supports.
the scythe one in your post has TDP 65W,
means, it handles 65W CPU's correctly....

Sorry, I'm not familiar with how much TDP is needed. Based on my setup do I need a new cooler? If I need a new cooler then is TDP 65W sufficient, or is it just an issue if I am thinking about overclocking?

I am planning on adding a SSD and blu-ray.

Any feedback on the Silverstone question I had? I did a search on the thread and site, but didn't find an answer.

- armedmonkey - 2012-01-11

I was told that that cooler would be fine for the a8-3850.

i'm also wondering about the case that khan suggested. Your prices are enticing, but not complete in this respect if I then have to go get 3-4 fans on top of it. aside from that, someone on amazon said that the case is not tall enough to properly support a cpu with a custom cooler, and I already bought the Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken on someone's recommendation (arrived today). I was originally going to get the LC04 Silverstone case, but EIO just informed me that it's discontinued... after I ordered it and waited 3 days (bastards).

Also... What do you guys think of this case:
http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-GD01B-R-Aluminum-Front-Center/dp/B001AZKB1W

- eskro - 2012-01-11

Deviant Khan, speed and latency is something that gamerz look into more closely...
but if u go with an AMD APU, i'd get at least 1600Mhz DDR3.
i even listed a nice deal on HyperX GENESIS memory 1866MHz for $45!

case latency is not insanely important for HTPC use or XBMC...
its not like gaming...

the A8-3850 has a TDP of 100W.
so the stock cooler it comes from is obviously ok.
but if u want a new one, make sure its one that can handle 100W CPU's...
and make sure it'll fit in your HTPC case.

- Deviant Khan - 2012-01-11

Great .. thanks for that feedback .. only waiting to hear back on the Silverstone case questions if you have the time.

- eskro - 2012-01-11

feedback?

- wally101 - 2012-01-11

Thanks alot for all the info Eskro, it has helped me tremendously.

I was wondering for RAM would it be ok to use

8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws PC3-10667U CL9
http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44312&agid=1192

I can get them for next to nothing so im hoping they will do/be compatible

Wally

- eskro - 2012-01-11

well, i'd go for these
http://www.kmcomputer.de/item/0/0/0/282884/index.html
(4GB) 2x2GB DDR3 1866 CL11 1.5V

or these
http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44136&agid=1192&pvid=1190vvunbs_gx9xdnkb&ref=105&lb
(4GB) 2x2GB DDR3 1333 CL9 1.5V

Smile