Kodi Community Forum
[Micro-ATX] A8-3850 (4x2.9Ghz) + HD6550D - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: [Micro-ATX] A8-3850 (4x2.9Ghz) + HD6550D (/showthread.php?tid=114890)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

- Ferrino - 2012-02-05

Hellcat Wrote:What case did you put this in? If I use the SILVERSTONE ML03B, I will have to cut a hole in the case above this power supply.
Yep, Silverstone ML03B. Great case for the money ($60). Yes, I'll be cutting a hole above the PSU for the heat rise through - 30 minutes of my time.

- Hellcat - 2012-02-06

Ferrino Wrote:Yep, Silverstone ML03B. Great case for the money ($60). Yes, I'll be cutting a hole above the PSU for the heat rise through - 30 minutes of my time.

Are you putting in a regular size BD or DVD drive? If so, how much room do you have between back of drive and PSU?

New builder - alexbo - 2012-02-07

Hey,

Thanks for all the research that went into this. I went ahead and put all this together last night (along with a 32gb SSD). Can someone help point me in the right direction for getting it up and running?

I tried installing Windows 7 last night via USB, but ran into an error where it said it was missing a DVD driver, so it couldn't install. Odd, since I don't have a DVD drive installed at all, I put the files from the ISO onto a bootable USB.. Any ideas?

I was also wondering --would I be better off installing OSX on this? I thought I read that OSX would give me airplay functionality with my HTPC, while windows could not. If OSX has more features, perhaps that's the smarter way to go? The OS doesn't matter to me much, since I'm really only going to be using this for XBMC.

Thanks for any help.

- Hellcat - 2012-02-07

alexbo Wrote:Hey,

Thanks for all the research that went into this. I went ahead and put all this together last night (along with a 32gb SSD). Can someone help point me in the right direction for getting it up and running?

I tried installing Windows 7 last night via USB, but ran into an error where it said it was missing a DVD driver, so it couldn't install. Odd, since I don't have a DVD drive installed at all, I put the files from the ISO onto a bootable USB.. Any ideas?

I was also wondering --would I be better off installing OSX on this? I thought I read that OSX would give me airplay functionality with my HTPC, while windows could not. If OSX has more features, perhaps that's the smarter way to go? The OS doesn't matter to me much, since I'm really only going to be using this for XBMC.

Thanks for any help.

I've had trouble loading Win 7 from ISO file before too but had different problem than you. Did you get as far as it asking for the key code?

- Ferrino - 2012-02-08

No, I don't use discs. I have an external DVD drive for occasional use. I'm pretty sure that with this PSU you won't be getting an optical drive in there though - I think it's 150mm. Also, I think the modular cables hinder the fitment of an optical drive further. Again, not a problem for me.

So I made a hole for the PSU and I placed the magnetic Silverstone 140mm fan filter/grille over it - looks really good.

Hellcat Wrote:Are you putting in a regular size BD or DVD drive? If so, how much room do you have between back of drive and PSU?

- alexbo - 2012-02-08

Hellcat Wrote:I've had trouble loading Win 7 from ISO file before too but had different problem than you. Did you get as far as it asking for the key code?

I didn't get past the first install screen before it wanted DVD drivers.

I found the solution here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=980977&highlight=dvd+driver+windows+error#post980977

Pretty stupid if you ask me. I literally just had to try plugging the USB drive into a different USB port! Well, stupid, but it worked, and win 7 is running fine now. I guess this mobo only has partial USB functionality before the drivers from the cd are installed --making it a bad choice for non-optical media installations.

My next dilemma is trying to access my files from my old popcorn hour device's hard drive. I tried plugging it in SATA drive 2, and it's recognized by bios and device manager, but windows explorer does not see it, and I can't access the files. What gives? Do I need to take a hint from my USB problem and try sticking it in different SATA ports one by one? (haha) Or is this a jumper (to set as slave) issue?

I'd appreciate any help to get me accessing my horde of media from the old Popcorn Hour drive.

- hcabrita - 2012-02-08

Hi.

Your popcorn hour issue might have to do with the internal disc of the media player beeing formated in ext3 file system.

In windows, try using this: http://www.ext2fsd.com/

It's a bit slow, but it gets the job done.

I had the same problem, and I ended up using a bootable pen drive with a linux distribution, since linux natively recognises ext3 file systems. It's a bit faster than ext2fsd.

- Terron - 2012-02-08

alexbo Wrote:Hey,

Thanks for any help.

If you have a flash drive, try this: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

There's a link under Installation to the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool which will set up your flash drive properly to boot and install windows.

- Hellcat - 2012-02-08

alexbo Wrote:I didn't get past the first install screen before it wanted DVD drivers.

I found the solution here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=980977&highlight=dvd+driver+windows+error#post980977

Pretty stupid if you ask me. I literally just had to try plugging the USB drive into a different USB port! Well, stupid, but it worked, and win 7 is running fine now. I guess this mobo only has partial USB functionality before the drivers from the cd are installed --making it a bad choice for non-optical media installations.

Just wondering which version of Win 7 you loaded (home, pro, ultimate) and do you plan to use both Windows Media Center and XBMC?

- Ferrino - 2012-02-08

Thanks for the thread - after much decision-making and deal-hunting, I finally decided on this APU for the following micro-ATX HTPC build (it will be used for more than just XBMC, so I decided to get the A8-3850 just in case). My main hope is that, with the 120mm PWM Big Shuriken 2 fan as the only fan in the system, it will be pretty much silent. Hopefully I don't need additional 80mm case fans - will monitor temps:

[CPU+GPU] AMD A8-3850 ($120 @ Newegg)
[CPU COOLER] Scythe Big Shuriken 2 ($40 @ Ebay)
[RAM] Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 ($28 @ Fry's, after rebate)
[MOBO] Asrock A75M ($75 @ Amazon)
[CASE] Silverstone ML03B ($60 @ Amazon)
[PSU] Seasonic X-460 ($85 @ Newegg, after rebate)
[SSD] 80GB Intel 320 SSD ($70 @ Tigerdirect, after rebate)
TOTAL = $478

Notes:
1. I know the 460W PSU is overkill but it worked out as cheap as a 150W picoPSU and it leaves me the headroom to upgrade in future. I also have a lot more confidence in Seasonic as a brand than picoPSUs, given all the scare stories about knockoffs. Furthermore, even 150W leaves a small margin when you see power consumption figures for a loaded A8-3850 system...

2. If you want to use this case-PSU combination, you'll need to make a hole above the PSU to help release the heat from the PSU internals. I've seen it done without but I don't want to take a chance.

- Hellcat - 2012-02-08

Ferrino Wrote:Thanks for the thread - after much decision-making and deal-hunting, I finally decided on this APU for the following micro-ATX HTPC build (it will be used for more than just XBMC, so I decided to get the A8-3850 just in case). My main hope is that, with the 120mm PWM Big Shuriken 2 fan as the only fan in the system, it will be pretty much silent. Hopefully I don't need additional 80mm case fans - will monitor temps:

[CPU+GPU] AMD A8-3850 ($120 @ Newegg)
[CPU COOLER] Scythe Big Shuriken 2 ($40 @ Ebay)
[RAM] Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 ($28 @ Fry's, after rebate)
[MOBO] Asrock A75M ($75 @ Amazon)
[CASE] Silverstone ML03B ($60 @ Amazon)
[PSU] Seasonic X-460 ($85 @ Newegg, after rebate)
[SSD] 80GB Intel 320 SSD ($70 @ Tigerdirect, after rebate)
TOTAL = $478

Notes:
1. I know the 460W PSU is overkill but it worked out as cheap as a 150W picoPSU and it leaves me the headroom to upgrade in future. I also have a lot more confidence in Seasonic as a brand than picoPSUs, given all the scare stories about knockoffs. Furthermore, even 150W leaves a small margin when you see power consumption figures for a loaded A8-3850 system...

2. If you want to use this case-PSU combination, you'll need to make a hole above the PSU to help release the heat from the PSU internals. I've seen it done without but I don't want to take a chance.

I have different parts, but close on price with a little more on CPU (A8-3750), memory (DDR3 1866), and mobo (ASUS F1A75-M Pro). A little less on SSD (60GB) and off course different Seasonic PSU. My total came to $540 with same case, so you did pretty good at $478.

- Ferrino - 2012-02-08

Cool, do you mean the A8-3870K? Share some pics when you've built it - so will I (when I have a chance!).

- alexbo - 2012-02-08

hcabrita Wrote:Hi.

Your popcorn hour issue might have to do with the internal disc of the media player beeing formated in ext3 file system.

In windows, try using this: http://www.ext2fsd.com/

It's a bit slow, but it gets the job done.

I had the same problem, and I ended up using a bootable pen drive with a linux distribution, since linux natively recognises ext3 file systems. It's a bit faster than ext2fsd.

Thanks. I believe you're right that it's ext3, and win 7 is simply incapable of reading it (lame!). I couldn't get that converter to work well. I have to run it while in Vista compatibility mode, and even then it won't open the hard drive up. Considering I was hoping to use the hard drive permanently that way, I don't want to have to deal with the problem, so I went ahead and bought a new hard drive --a shame considering the insance prices right now. I'll transfer my files over, then reformat the old one so they both match.

Hellcat Wrote:Just wondering which version of Win 7 you loaded (home, pro, ultimate) and do you plan to use both Windows Media Center and XBMC?

It's 7 ultimate, and I was planning on just using XBMC. What purpose would also using windows media center serve? Doesn't XBMC do everything? The only thing I want to get going I'm not sure is possible in windows/xbmc, is Airplay.

- alexbo - 2012-02-08

Terron Wrote:If you have a flash drive, try this: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

There's a link under Installation to the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool which will set up your flash drive properly to boot and install windows.

Yes, those things would have worked, but my problem was with my USB 3.0 ports on the hard drive not working properly, not the USB installation stick itself. I tried the "plug it into a different USB port (the one under the ethernet port, which is a different bank)" trick, and it worked fine.

- baldmosher - 2012-02-09

bluray Wrote:The higher wattage is cheaper, because it will burn more energy and generate slightly more heat. A lot of buyers don't want more wattage. That is the reason why they dropped the price in order to sell it. If you feel that you want to pay less for more wattage, it'll definitely work fine. But remember, you do not need 460w to operate your HTPC. You may not even need 1/4 of that wattage. The other 3/4w will polluting the atmosphere! Smile
Oo

I don't often facepalm, but if you're suggesting that a 460W PSU will use 460W of power, I might just have to. Surely that's not what you meant? The other 3/4 of the wattage will be sat there twiddling its thumbs, not "polluting the atmosphere".

I put a 400W BeQuiet! Straight Power in my dad's PC, 95% efficient, 150mm fan which barely spins up except at full load. All in, with a Celeron G530 and H61 chipset and one 3.5" Barracuda HDD, it draws 42W at peak and drops to 24W at idle.

The advantage with picoPSU is only where internal space is a concern (e.g. a mITX build), or perhaps if absolute silence is required (not relevant to HTPC - do you often watch TV or listen to music in silence?) In all other cases I would choose a normal "silent" efficient ATX PSU.

The only reason to go for higher wattage than 400W is if you have a high end Gfx card (or two) or a rack of hard drives.

(I don't think you can get BeQuiet! PSUs outside Europe yet but the Seasonics are well-reputed)