Kodi Community Forum
[Micro-ATX] A8-3850 (4x2.9Ghz) + HD6550D - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: [Micro-ATX] A8-3850 (4x2.9Ghz) + HD6550D (/showthread.php?tid=114890)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

- baldmosher - 2012-02-09

Ferrino Wrote:Notes:
1. I know the 460W PSU is overkill but it worked out as cheap as a 150W picoPSU and it leaves me the headroom to upgrade in future. I also have a lot more confidence in Seasonic as a brand than picoPSUs, given all the scare stories about knockoffs. Furthermore, even 150W leaves a small margin when you see power consumption figures for a loaded A8-3850 system...
In a nutshell, well done. You'd struggle to find an ATX PSU less than 400W that isn't a cheap piece of crap.

Not a reason to doubt picoPSU though - say what you like about knockoffs via eBay but if you can't spot a counterfeit when you see one, then don't buy things on eBay....!

- Hellcat - 2012-02-09

Ferrino Wrote:Cool, do you mean the A8-3870K? Share some pics when you've built it - so will I (when I have a chance!).

Yes. Wanted the ability to overclock (just in case) and it was only $10 more, now less with 10% off promo at newgg.

I will send pics when I'm done. Also going to time build (see how fast I can do it).

- Hellcat - 2012-02-09

alexbo Wrote:It's 7 ultimate, and I was planning on just using XBMC. What purpose would also using windows media center serve? Doesn't XBMC do everything? The only thing I want to get going I'm not sure is possible in windows/xbmc, is Airplay.

I've been told the current version of XBMC can't output DTS-HD or Dolby True-HD, which is a must for me, so you must setup XBMC external player (see bluray's guide on doing this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116724&highlight=external+player).

Windows Media Center does output DTS-HD or Dolby True-HD, so if you want to use it instead or as a backup media center, you have that option. All Windows 7 versions have the media center, but I'm not certain if Ultimate or Pro have any advantage over Home Premium.

Not sure why you are using Ultimate. From what I can tell off the Home Prem, Pro, Ultimate comparison chart (there are several you can google), for an HTPC it doesn't seem there is much you can use beyond Home Prem unless you plan to use more than 16GB of RAM or you need to backup to your network. If there's something important for an HTPC, please enlighten me- anyone!

- Hellcat - 2012-02-09

baldmosher Wrote:In a nutshell, well done. You'd struggle to find an ATX PSU less than 400W that isn't a cheap piece of crap.

Not a reason to doubt picoPSU though - say what you like about knockoffs via eBay but if you can't spot a counterfeit when you see one, then don't buy things on eBay....!

I agree. That's why I went with highly rated Seasonic M12II 520W even though I will not need the power even if I add GPU for better gaming. For a near quiet PSU with 120mm bottom intake fan at a resonable price, it's tough to beat.

- alexbo - 2012-02-15

Another noob question... I have this system built, with the single hdmi out going to my TV. Does that mean the only way to get digital audio to my stereo is through my TV's audio out port? (are the other little audio out ports from the motherboard good for anything?) The TV doesn't have HDMi out, but it has S/PDIF out. Is that good enough to preserve the full audio quality this system is capable of?

If not, I guess that means I need another way to get the digital signal from the computer to the stereo and tv, like a stereo with both hdmi in and out.

- bluray - 2012-02-15

alexbo Wrote:Another noob question... I have this system built, with the single hdmi out going to my TV. Does that mean the only way to get digital audio to my stereo is through my TV's audio out port? (are the other little audio out ports from the motherboard good for anything?) The TV doesn't have HDMi out, but it has S/PDIF out. Is that good enough to preserve the full audio quality this system is capable of?

If not, I guess that means I need another way to get the digital signal from the computer to the stereo and tv, like a stereo with both hdmi in and out.
Here is the best way to get the best audio out of your A8-3850: your A8-3850-->Onkyo TX-NR509..>your HDTV via two HDMI cables. The Onkyo TX-NR509 for $220 shipped should be able to playback all type of audio codecs, including DTS-HD, TrueHD, 3D, etc! Smile

- alexbo - 2012-02-15

bluray Wrote:Here is the best way to get the best audio out of your A8-3850: your A8-3850-->Onkyo TX-NR509..>your HDTV via two HDMI cables. The Onkyo TX-NR509 for $220 shipped should be able to playback all type of audio codecs, including DTS-HD, TrueHD, 3D, etc! Smile

This just keeps getting more expensive. I thought the htpc I bought was going to send out hd audio via hdmi, and Id be all set. Now I learn I need a fancy receiver just to decode the HD audio signal coming from the PC? Well, I suppose it's my own fault that my current receiver is so primitive (no digital audio-in ports).

I still don't quite understand why I'd need TWO hdmi cables going from the reciever to the tv. Isn't one enough?

- alexbo - 2012-02-15

I take back my complaint. I went ahead and bought the 5.1 all in one system discussed heres: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=112323&page=5

I love buying stuff!

- bluray - 2012-02-15

alexbo Wrote:This just keeps getting more expensive. I thought the htpc I bought was going to send out hd audio via hdmi, and Id be all set. Now I learn I need a fancy receiver just to decode the HD audio signal coming from the PC? Well, I suppose it's my own fault that my current receiver is so primitive (no digital audio-in ports).

I still don't quite understand why I'd need TWO hdmi cables going from the reciever to the tv. Isn't one enough?
Yes, your A8-3850 is equipped to bitstream DTS-HD/TrueHD audio codecs but you need a receiver with DTS-HD/TrueHD capability to process it.

And you do need two HDMI cables (one HDMI cable from A8-3850 to Onkyo and another HDMI cable from Onkyo to HDTV). With proper configurations and hardwares to support it, you'll enjoy DTS-HD/TrueHD audio on your A8-3850 HTPC! Smile

- pinktaco - 2012-02-15

@alexbo
to keep the price down some, buy your HDMI cables from monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

- jdwoods - 2012-02-16

Well, I have finally bitten down and have started purchasing parts for my very on dedicated XBMC HTPC.

It is INSPIRED by Eskro's A8-3850 build:

[CPU+iGPU] AMD A8-3850 4x2.9GHz HD6550D FM1 100W
[MOBO] ASRock A75 PRO4 FM1 AMD A75
[CASE] SIVERSTONE GRANDIA GD01 ATX
[PSU] ULTRA 500W POWER SUPPLY
[RAM] KINGSTON HYPERX BLU 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 DIMM
[SSD] PATRIOT TORQX 64GB

A few of the items I've had from other builds.

I plan to add a BLU RAY drive (maybe burner if I can get a good deal).
Regarding cooling, I will see how the stock cooling from the case (should be roomy in there) and the processor work out. I don't need it to be 100% silent.

Any thoughts?

- bluray - 2012-02-16

jdwoods Wrote:[PSU] ULTRA 500W POWER SUPPLY
[b]

I plan to add a BLU RAY drive (maybe burner if I can get a good deal).
Regarding cooling, I will see how the stock cooling from the case (should be roomy in there) and the processor work out. I don't need it to be 100% silent.

Any thoughts?
250W PSU should be more than enough for A8-3850. Yes, BD-ROM is always handy in HTPC (I included it in my 3 HTPC's). You'll enjoy it! Smile

- jdwoods - 2012-02-16

bluray Wrote:250W PSU should be more than enough for A8-3850. Yes, BD-ROM is always handy in HTPC (I included it in my 3 HTPC's). You'll enjoy it! Smile

Good point! I am aware. I had originally spec'ed out a 380W PSU, but I've happened to get a good deal on the PSU...

What Version of W7 should I buy?

- Hellcat - 2012-02-19

Finally got the GD04 from Amazon and about to start the HTPC build. I started a new thread on this, but no response yet on this question. I had orginally planned to build with ML03 and bought a Seasonic PSU with 120mm fan. But now with the larger case, I have more air space in the box with about 1.5" above the PSU and only one side of PSU completely covered. So I was wondering if I use no case fans, can I get away with using fanless Seasonic SS-400FL PSU? My goal is to build with no fans except on the CPU (A8-3870K).

- bluray - 2012-02-19

Hellcat Wrote:Finally got the GD04 from Amazon and about to start the HTPC build. I started a new thread on this, but no response yet on this question. I had orginally planned to build with ML03 and bought a Seasonic PSU with 120mm fan. But now with the larger case, I have more air space in the box with about 1.5" above the PSU and only one side of PSU completely covered. So I was wondering if I use no case fans, can I get away with using fanless Seasonic SS-400FL PSU? My goal is to build with no fans except on the CPU (A8-3870K).
Since it is a big case with ton of air vents, I think that it will be fine without case fan. You can un-plug the included case fans, and monitor the temperature with/without case fans!