Kodi Community Forum
Cannot Play DVDs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Cannot Play DVDs (/showthread.php?tid=115804)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Cannot Play DVDs - Devo7v - 2011-11-30

Whenever I insert a DVD, the menu item to play dvd comes up, but clicking on it does nothing. I can still eject the drive, but for some reason I cannot play the dvd. Below is my system information and log. I'm not sure if I need to post more information, but I can if needed. Any help would be appreciated.

XBMC Version: PRE-11.0 Git:20111122-01da319
Windows 7 64-bit, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+, 4 GB ram
H645H1G AMD Radeon HD 6450 1024MB DDR3 PCIe 2.1 x16 Video Card
Debug Log: http://pastebin.com/tCWShbKF

- block134 - 2011-11-30

I have had this happen to me before and it seems like XBMC losses focus of the DVD menu for use with the mouse but if you use it a keyboard/remote you should still navigate it as needed.

- Devo7v - 2011-11-30

I didn't mean the DVD menu, I meant the menu on the xbmc homescreen. It won't even launch the DVD. Sorry for the confusion.

- jhsrennie - 2011-11-30

It looks as if XBMC can't read the DVD. Does it play if you select it in File mode?

JR

- Devo7v - 2011-11-30

If I go into file mode, I can see all the folders and files on the dvd. It tries to play them but after a couple seconds it fails. I am able to play the dvds in VLC and Windows Media Center, but not XBMC for some reason. It's the only thing that is keeping me from ditching WMC.

If it makes a difference, I'm running XBMC in portable mode. That may be related to another post where I can't get milkdrop to recognize new preset packs.

- jhsrennie - 2011-11-30

The log is showing XBMC failing to read the DVD. I don't think there's much you can do about it. Is this a commercial DVD or one that you've burned yourself?

XBMC uses a public domain DVD library. It's likely that the problem lies within this library. It might be worth trying a nightly build (in portable mode so it doesn't interfere with the existing installation). I can't remember if this has a later version of libdvdnav, but it's worth a try.

JR

- Devo7v - 2011-11-30

I've tried several different commercial dvds, some of them released within the last year and some that I've purchased almost 10 years ago. XBMC won't play any of them.

I understand that XBMC uses a public library, but isn't it the same library that VLC uses? I could be wrong, but if not wouldn't it make sense to use the VLC libraries since they work with just about every file imaginable? There's no need to reinvent the wheel, right.

- jhsrennie - 2011-12-01

Devo7v Wrote:I've tried several different commercial dvds, some of them released within the last year and some that I've purchased almost 10 years ago. XBMC won't play any of them.

That's very odd. I've never done a survey to find out how many users have problems playing DVDs, but if no DVDs released in the last 10 years will play I would have thought there'd be a few complaints. I wonder if XBMC doesn't like your DVD drive.

JR

- Devo7v - 2011-12-01

jhsrennie Wrote:That's very odd. I've never done a survey to find out how many users have problems playing DVDs, but if no DVDs released in the last 10 years will play I would have thought there'd be a few complaints. I wonder if XBMC doesn't like your DVD drive.

JR

I understand that it may be my drive, but why would it work with other players and just not XBMC? Is there anything I can do to get this to work short of checking to see if another DVD drive will work?

If it helps, here is the drive I'm currently using (http://www.sonynec-optiarc.com/products/hhid_dvdrom/)

- jhsrennie - 2011-12-01

Presumably other players are using different DVD software, or possibly a different version of libdvdnav. Yoyr DVD drive looks as standard as they come. Is it possible it's region locked to a different region to the DVDs you're trying to play? You could try burning a video DVD, which should be region 0, and seeing if DVD will play that.

To be honest I'm grasping at straws now. I always rip videos so i haven't played a DVD for years.

JR

- Devo7v - 2011-12-02

jhsrennie Wrote:Presumably other players are using different DVD software, or possibly a different version of libdvdnav. Yoyr DVD drive looks as standard as they come. Is it possible it's region locked to a different region to the DVDs you're trying to play? You could try burning a video DVD, which should be region 0, and seeing if DVD will play that.

To be honest I'm grasping at straws now. I always rip videos so i haven't played a DVD for years.

JR

I looked into it a bit and found this post about libdvdcss.dll. It looks like libdvdcss.dll decrypts the dvd and it is failing to do so. It can be found at \XBMC\system\players\dvdplayer\libdvdcss-2.dll If I rename libdvdcss-2.dll to libdvdcss.dll, XBMC doesn't even try to load the dvd, so it seem like I'm having issues with libdvdcss-2.dll.

I'm still interested to see if others are able to play dvds. I've tried playing different dvds on 3 different systems and all have failed even though it works with VLC. So it seems like this is an issue with XBMC. If someone is able to play dvds, can you post your libdvdnav.dll and libdvdcss-2.dll so I can try them on my system?

- CrystalP - 2011-12-02

I tried a bunch of DVDs with css and they all worked fine.

edit: your debug log is a bit strange, as there should be a line indicating that XBMC loads libdvdcss-2.dll, and then some debug info from the library.

- Devo7v - 2011-12-03

CrystalP Wrote:I tried a bunch of DVDs with css and they all worked fine.

edit: your debug log is a bit strange, as there should be a line indicating that XBMC loads libdvdcss-2.dll, and then some debug info from the library.

If I try to play a DVD, it tries to load it for a second but then says it failed. If I rename libdvdcss-2.dll to something else, it doesn't even try to load the dvd, so I'm thinking something is messed up with either libdvdnav.dll or libdvdcss-2.dll.

Can you post those 2 dll files for me since I know they work and I'll try them on my system?

The other thing I'm thinking is that I'm running XBMC in portable mode so I'm wondering if that may be causing problems somehow. If you're feeling adventurous could you try running your same setup in portable mode and see if you have the same issue?

- jhsrennie - 2011-12-03

Devo7v Wrote:Can you post those 2 dll files for me since I know they work and I'll try them on my system?

Just grab the latest nightly build and get the libraries from that. Do the DVDs play in v10.1? You could do a separate installation of v10.1 and run it in portable mode so it doesn't mess with your profile.

JR

- Devo7v - 2011-12-03

jhsrennie Wrote:Just grab the latest nightly build and get the libraries from that. Do the DVDs play in v10.1? You could do a separate installation of v10.1 and run it in portable mode so it doesn't mess with your profile.

JR

So I did both of your suggestions, I grabbed the latest build and used the libraries from that, but ran into the same problems.

I then installed 10.1. I ran it as a full installation and it played all dvds properly. I then ran pre 11.0 in portable mode and it played the same dvds properly without changing libraries.

I restarted my system and ran 10.1 in portable mode, it played all dvds properly. I then ran pre 11.0 in portable mode and it would not play any dvds. I tried replacing the libraries in pre 11.0 with the libraries from 10.1 and they still would not play.

The only thing I have yet to try is to run pre 11.0 as a full installation. Hopefully something will work so I don't have to downgrade to 10.1.