Kodi Community Forum
LinksBoks (Links2Browser Web-Browser) integration into XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: LinksBoks (Links2Browser Web-Browser) integration into XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=11640)

- HarshReality - 2005-10-12

unlikely.. as a point is been some time since cvs for links was sync'd which would indicate its still being tweaked.

**update: i mispoke myself, was sync'd to todays cvs (10-12-05)

- Rand Al Thor - 2005-10-14

ace Wink thanks for the sync :kickass:

- splurt - 2005-10-17

hey, great job on all the hard work ysbox.  i'm using the oct. 12th sync and got it running almost flawlessly.  i run it at 720p in xbmc.

just wanted to post the problems i've had so everyone's aware.  one of the things i've noticed is that the browser window doesn't like to come up sometimes when the "cookies" file in the linksbrowser directory is present.  to fix this i just made a script to launch the browser that will delete this file if present.  just make a python file with the following code and use it to launch the browser window:

import os, xbmc
if os.path.isfile("q:\\system\\linksbrowser\\cookies"):
      os.remove("q:\\system\\linksbrowser\\cookies")
xbmc.executebuiltin('xbmc.activatewindow(2800)')  

actually, the window doesn't like to load if an "options" file is present either, but since there isn't one present unless you press save options it isn't much of a problem except for the fact that the browser always loads with the defaults.

another suggestion is to move <leftthumbbutton>pointernavigation</leftthumbbutton> out of <global> and into <webbrowser> in the keymap.xml file.  this works great, i actually remapped it to rightthumbbutton so screenshots can still be taken in the browser window.

the widescreen skin file webbrowser.xml was not very functional in this sync, so i completely updated it so all the buttons work and the status is shown on the bar on the top and the video overlay is shown on the bottom right (toggled using the white button) etc.  i prefer this "windowed" skin at 720p since most websites aren't wider than 1024 pixels anyway.  let me know if you want me to upload this somewhere.

the last and biggest problem is cache control.  i played around with this a lot and the same problem exists with the 0.99 standalone release.  the cache sizes specified in the options menu are not respected at all and the cached data keeps growing.  this becomes a big problem since only ~20mb of ram is available to the browser window.  it only takes a visit to about 4 or 5 pages to fill this up and freeze xbmc.  however, the "flush all caches" option in the file menu clears it up and allows you to keep surfing without freezes.   so is there any way to modify the code to monitor the resource info and simply flush the cache (memory, image, and font) when it has reached a certain amount?   better yet, flush it when a minimum amount of ram is available, leaving some for xbmc to play mp3s, etc.

just thought i'd post my experiences/suggestions here..anyway, this is looking really promising and is an extremely useful addition to xbmc imho.  thanks and keep up the good work.

- ysbox - 2005-10-18

i know about those freezes that happen sometimes, it seems it's related to the fread() or fopen() functions but i still haven't tried to debug that problem yet. hopefully it's not that hard.

about the memory issue, i figured that out too and haven't had the opportunity to dig into that one as well (i usually can browse more than 4 or 5 pages though...). changing the cache sizes in the options is useless because they're overriden with hardcoded values in the xbmc code for now.
still, the caches are automatically flushed when the memory gets below 3mb or when launching a media file, or even activating another window... i can browse for, say, an hour without any freeze, but i don't know about hdtv.. i guess ymmv.

again: we all know it's alpha, we all know it's not stable, we all know it's gonna crash until we say it's not anymore. Smile

thanks for the skin update, los93sol said to me he will take care of putting it into the svn repository. we welcome any productive help we can get.

- chilin_dude - 2005-11-13

hey guys, wondering if we're any closer to a release?
this will make xbmc complete imho and i can't take it anymore :d
thanks

- incognegro - 2005-11-18

is anybody gonna answer the question?

- Lowen SoDium - 2005-11-19

closer to release? that is a bit bold.

the devs have said many times that it will be a while if linkbox intergration is (if it ever is) made a part of the main cvs.

that said, i am currious as to the current state of this project. i has been a while sence there have been any updates. i hope that it is still coming along nicely. and i hope that those pimped edition s.o.b.s didn't cause too many negitive feelings for the whole project.

- Livin - 2005-11-19

the fact that there has been no update in a month worries me.

- los93sol - 2005-11-19

hehe, glad to see people are still anticipating the project, thought everyone had forgotten about it. :p i posted an update for the 16:9 skin a few days ago. ysbox is still around, and the project is still alive, just somewhat dormant for now. no worries though, more will come as time and motivation permits. posts like these are refreshing to see that people are still looking forward to its release and definitely help get the motivation up. Smile

regards,
los93sol

- Lowen SoDium - 2005-11-19

gald to hear it.

i am greatly looking forward to the next update! :thumbsup:

- Solo0815 - 2005-11-19

*push* motivation! Wink

i´m looking forward to the release ...

- quadraspeed - 2005-11-19

would also love to see this happen for the public to enjoy. integration of linksboks right in xbmc is sweet!

:bowdown: keep up the good work! :bowdown:

- vnm - 2005-11-19

(los93sol @ nov. 19 2005,03:59 Wrote:hehe, glad to see people are still anticipating the project, thought everyone had forgotten about it.  :p
definitively not!

- jiz_king - 2005-11-20

seeing ysbox working on other projects worries me. only bacause i am selfish. i wanty this particular project to end in a cvs commit so we can all appreciate the work that has gone into it so far. i think i speak for many when i say.. we appreciate your unpaid time! there are many of us watching this long neglected thread!

throw us a bone.

jk

- HarshReality - 2005-11-20

this is a double edged sword.... inquire too often your an annoyance... too little and the project stops due to lack of interest.

from an objective standpoint however, a project can only evolve so far. while the cvs evolves links is a contstant dev. seperately. before it can truely work with xbmc it needs to goto cvs so their collective issues can be worked out together and at once. while y's has done a marvelous job so far (with some additional support) i truely think this project will only come to pass and complete when the entire xbmc dev body takes part in it.