XBMC Community Forum
LinksBoks (Links2Browser Web-Browser) integration into XBMC - Printable Version

+- XBMC Community Forum (http://forum.xbmc.org)
+-- Forum: Development (/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Development (/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: LinksBoks (Links2Browser Web-Browser) integration into XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=11640)

- incognegro - 2005-11-20 14:45

Quote:from an objective standpoint however, a project can only evolve so far. while the cvs evolves links is a contstant dev. seperately. before it can truely work with xbmc it needs to goto cvs so their collective issues can be worked out together and at once. while y's has done a marvelous job so far (with some additional support) i truely think this project will only come to pass and complete when the entire xbmc dev body takes part in it.

good point............i have couple questions to ask about the project though.

will it read html files for bookmarks?

will i be able to use the browser to open certain offline (local) files like a user created page or text files?

i think the last one would solve the constant feature requests for a text reader in xbmc.

kill two birds with one stone...... :thumbsup:

- HarshReality - 2005-11-21 04:09

i dont see why it wouldn't read a txt file.. but to do that would depend more on xbmc's fileserver and the paths it uses. i mean it would have to have port 80 open to the directory...

i am still poking around for an editor... the notepad script was ok (still dont know how to use it) but one intigrated would be super.

- Lowen SoDium - 2005-11-21 18:36

(harshreality @ nov. 21 2005,02:09 Wrote:i dont see why it wouldn't read a txt file.. but to do that would depend more on xbmc's fileserver and the paths it uses. i mean it would have to have port 80 open to the directory...
that is only if linksbox doesn't support (or couldn't be made to support) reading local files as local files.

if if does, it wouldn't even need to worry about ports or network addresses when reading files from the local harddrive.

if it does, you could still do it all through 127.0.0.1 and not have share the file or dirrectory to the rest of your network.

- incognegro - 2005-11-21 21:06

127.0.0.1? wouldnt that open the web server of xbmc if you put that in the browser? it wouldnt allow you to open any files......

- HarshReality - 2005-11-21 23:31

(incognegro @ nov. 21 2005,19:06 Wrote:127.0.0.1? wouldnt that open the web server of xbmc if you put that in the browser? it wouldnt allow you to open any files......
Wink and if you opened the webserver, you get the interface (if active).

- Lowen SoDium - 2005-11-22 20:44

(incognegro @ nov. 21 2005,19:06 Wrote:127.0.0.1? wouldnt that open the web server of xbmc if you put that in the browser? it wouldnt allow you to open any files......
only if it were trying to read http://127.0.0.1/

but, if it where trying to read a local .txt file (say it was f:\readme.txt ) that xbmc made avalible, but only on the 127.0.0.1 address, it could be found at http://127.0.0.1/f/readme.txt

this is just an example how it could be done, and there are probably better ways to do it.

- HarshReality - 2005-11-22 23:27

and in all this i restate my original point....

if its hitting a local loopback, and then a text file its still going through the webbrowser built into xbmc, and it reading that file will depend on permissions. also, would have to start a new string in the xml i think and do a bit of tweaking in application.cpp.... web with extensions like http, htp, xml, asp, php, txt, etc. to pump it straight through the web browser. then it should know to open it up... but again you run into the method your going to access them and currently with the rest of xbmc its either a direct hit, or the file manager. other links (video, programs etc. would not display those extensions in their lists.

- edraws - 2005-11-23 23:31

this is wicked!!!

i never saw this post until today when i was searching for another solution non-related and still haven't found an answer....

however this is an awesome project and will make xbmc even better!

i played around with the standalone browser a little.

i hope you guys don't get discouraged and hope you get approved for the cvs.

good luck and looking forward to the finished project!

- ysbox - 2005-11-25 00:49

just a little post to say i'm idle but not dead...

next on my todo list is making bookmarks and history work but the work involved is boring and doesn't motivate me atm... but i'll probably do it in one shot some time so we can move on. there's also an options window to make in the process.

while we're at it, as i see some activity here, let's gather opinions:
- what do you think of the current osd style windows? would you prefer "regular" screens for options, history and bookmarks (with buttons on the left and list on the right), and browser options in the "weather" settings category -renamed to 'internet'.
- are you ok with the full screen browser? did you prefer the previous layout with a border? maybe make a combination of the two (keep the navigation panel and the border, with hideable or permanent titlebar/urlbar/statusbar)

i also synced the svn, next update will have working bookmarks and history Smile

- los93sol - 2005-11-25 01:39

i already talked to you in the irc channel about my idea for full screen, but thought i would post it here so other people following the project can see as well.

i prefer the osd style navigation currently in use, for me it is by far the most efficient method as far as screen real estate, usability, and consistency (with the rest of xbmc).

that said, i am also a fan of the full screen view with no borders, especially for those people with plasmas where burn-in is a concern. there are a few issues with overscan. it seems like we need some form of browser calibration where you would be able to set the screen edges for links, osd position, and video/music thumbnail window position. think about the video calibration window and how you can configure it to compensate and fix many of the same issues we face with running links in full screen to get a better idea what i am talking about.

as far as the settings screens, for now, i would be perfectly happy having them linked to the osd, but feel it would be nice to have the settings also accessible from the normal settings screen at some point as development progresses.

a few other things i have found while using the browser is that when you download and put the download in the background you are left wondering how much of your download is left and when your video or music will start to play, sometimes the downloads fail and do not start and you have no idea what happened. it might be a good idea if the download percent could be added as an xbmc control so that when a download is put in the background it would toggle the url/status infobar and display the download percentage or maybe even a small progressbar in the infobar to show the user their download status.

just my opinions and some feedback from me, can't wait to see what others come up with and how others feel about it.

regards,
los93sol

- HarshReality - 2005-11-25 04:21

personally, i preffered the borders with the home etc. at the top it made the entire interface feel more familiar. as far as settings & bookmarks a drop in or popup is fine. that away when i am wandering and want to change a setting i dont loose my page and all i have to do is refresh.

- C-Quel - 2005-11-25 14:38

pressing 'start' does not bring up osd on current sync'd cvs. might be worth looking at...

it's almost like it's invisible... the buttons work on the osd but you cannot see it!

edit : - 23-11-2005 fixed: textures outside of textures.xpr were failing to load.

this was submitted after links sync by jmarshall so this will cure osd problem!

links will need sync'ing up again!

- ysbox - 2005-11-26 00:08

(deanrparry @ nov. 25 2005,12:38 Wrote:pressing 'start' does not bring up osd on current sync'd cvs. might be worth looking at...

it's almost like it's invisible... the buttons work on the osd but you cannot see it!

edit :  - 23-11-2005 fixed: textures outside of textures.xpr were failing to load.

this was submitted after links sync by jmarshall so this will cure osd problem!

links will need sync'ing up again!
thanks, i noticed that yesterday 1am but was already in bed Smile
just update cvs and recompile to "make your sync" yourself.

i updated svn anyway with the little merge i got in guicontrolfactory.cpp.

- Kick In Da Door - 2005-11-26 00:45

is it possible to have some type of communication etween the rss feed on the homepage of xbmc and linksboks, like if there is a topic or headline that interests me i would click it and linksboks would autolaunch to that page..

what do you guys think

- Lowen SoDium - 2005-11-26 19:40

(ysbox @ nov. 24 2005,22:49 Wrote:just a little post to say i'm idle but not dead...

next on my todo list is making bookmarks and history work but the work involved is boring and doesn't motivate me atm... but i'll probably do it in one shot some time so we can move on. there's also an options window to make in the process.

while we're at it, as i see some activity here, let's gather opinions:
- what do you think of the current osd style windows? would you prefer "regular" screens for options, history and bookmarks (with buttons on the left and list on the right), and browser options in the "weather" settings category -renamed to 'internet'.
- are you ok with the full screen browser? did you prefer the previous layout with a border? maybe make a combination of the two (keep the navigation panel and the border, with hideable or permanent titlebar/urlbar/statusbar)

i also synced the svn, next update will have working bookmarks and history Smile
the borders in the browser do not bother me, but i am using a widescreen tv. i am not sure how people with 4:3 sets feel about it sence they have less screen realistate.

a titlebar/url-bar seems like it would only be useful to people who have a mouse and keyboard (which i highly recomend if you want to use linksbox). people who are using a controller would probably get more use out of using the osd menu to type in a url or display their current url. i would think that this should be a configurable option.

i think that a statusbar should only be shown when a page is still loading, or when a curser is over a link (maybe it should auto hide after a user settable number of seconds)

i like the current osd other than what i said above. the only reason that i have to unlock the linksbox osd is becuase the bookmarks and url stuff doesn't work right.

one last thing. this might not be possible, but can you make it so that when you have your curser in a text entry field, that you can use a usb keyboard with out having to bring up the on screen keyboard? that might be a limitation on how xbmc handles keyboards, so i don't know.