Kodi Community Forum
LinksBoks (Links2Browser Web-Browser) integration into XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: LinksBoks (Links2Browser Web-Browser) integration into XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=11640)

- drakethegreat - 2006-03-07

ya i must be honest, i'm hesitant on this feature because things like the ftp and web server already have bloat on xbmc. i don't even use linkboks standalone because i have a dual screen system hooked up in the room next door and a laptop with a 15" screen. so linkboks to me has no practical use to begin with.

it almosts seems like if people want this there will be a need to develop to indepedent versions or even consider some sort of plugin system that goes beyond scripts to allow extensions that people want.

- Nickman - 2006-03-07

(drakethegreat @ mar. 07 2006,20:54 Wrote:ya i must be honest, i'm hesitant on this feature because things like the ftp and web server already have bloat on xbmc. i don't even use linkboks standalone because i have a dual screen system hooked up in the room next door and a laptop with a 15" screen. so linkboks to me has no practical use to begin with.

it almosts seems like if people want this there will be a need to develop to indepedent versions or even consider some sort of plugin system that goes beyond scripts to allow extensions that people want.
it's not like it will make xbmc worse in any way.. the xbe file is almost the same. you can turn it off just like the ftp and the webserver to save memory.

it's a win win situation.
heck if you think the extra grafics in the skin dir + the linksbooks dll file is to much just remove it Smile

- incognegro - 2006-03-07

(nickman @ mar. 07 2006,20:05 Wrote:
(drakethegreat @ mar. 07 2006,20:54 Wrote:ya i must be honest, i'm hesitant on this feature because things like the ftp and web server already have bloat on xbmc. i don't even use linkboks standalone because i have a dual screen system hooked up in the room next door and a laptop with a 15" screen. so linkboks to me has no practical use to begin with.

it's not like it will make xbmc worse in any way.. the xbe file is almost the same. you can turn it off just like the ftp and the webserver to save memory.

it's a win win situation.
heck if you think the extra grafics in the skin dir + the linksbooks dll file is to much just remove it Smile
took the word right out off my mouth Smile

- Livin - 2006-03-07

drake,
seem like you do not compile your own xbmc... right?

as you'll learn after you've had some time on the forum (your 16 posts, kinda slim thus far) is that there aer a lot of people that want links... and majority rules.

if i may suggest that your personal home situation/experience with xbmc is not a likely gauge of the rest of us.

everyone here welcomes input but please keep in mind you are but 1 of thousands and your experiences are not necessarily that of other users.

- chilin_dude - 2006-03-09

(pike @ mar. 07 2006,18:08 Wrote:we plan to include linkboks in xbmc cvs shortly after 2.0.0 is final, thus (to clarify) linksboks won't be included with 2.0.0
thanks very much for clarification :bowdown:

- drakethegreat - 2006-03-09

honestly no i haven't compiled my own xbmc because that would require stealing software from microsoft or paying large sums of cash i don't have... i doubt most the people here compile it themselves (i'm not talking about the developer forum...).

anyways i shared my opinion and take it or leave but i found your replies to be very rude. i also dislike the fact that you hold my 16 posts against me. i have been using xbmc for over a year and just because i don't post all the time doesn't mean i'm not watching. infact i have known about linksbok integration since it was originally proposed. i remember when it was in early development stages. yet all i was suggesting is that it could maintained seperately... i'm not opposed to it but its not for everyone. this is my opinion however and you are welcome to take it or leave.

the one thing is, please don't insult my intelligence just because you disagree or continue to make insights on how much of a noob i am...

- HarshReality - 2006-03-09

judging the way the point releases have been going 2.o.o is like 5 years away anyway... but there are lkinks here for those who wish to trip the life fantastic and add it themselves to a build.

- pike - 2006-03-09

(harshreality @ mar. 09 2006,09:23 Wrote:judging the way the point releases have been going 2.o.o is like 5 years away anyway... but there are lkinks here for those who wish to trip the life fantastic and add it themselves to a build.
say what ?

so we've failed to deliver pointreleases when we announced we will make one ?

you sir are not funny

- Gamester17 - 2006-03-09

(harshreality @ mar. 09 2006,08:23 Wrote:judging the way the point releases have been going 2.o.o is like 5 years away anyway.
i guess you missed the announcement?, (at least i hope you just did that otherwise your comment can be considered as very rude):
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....t=19350

- jiz_king - 2006-03-09

drake:

i don't think anyone is realistically going to use links to just browse, but it has really powerful potential when integrated in a media player becuase of the huge variety of media based websites like lastfm and pandora etc. even streaming tv sites.

it will do away with the need for a lot of the scripts out there that parse websites and break if the page is changed, we can simply bookmark the page and forward media from it.

it also opens the dor to a specially developed and maintained xbmc portal/website where links to scripts, media and the like can be accessed from within xbmc.

i cannot wait for this (but i will).

cheers devs.

- hazeh - 2006-03-11

i will be using links for casual browsing as well as the countless other possibilities a web browser brings.

- Livin - 2006-03-11

to the people wondering why to integrate links... a general browser has tons of uses, duh!

as to xbmc point releases... they are great, in theory, but being as this app is in constant flux (being improved daily!Wink naming a "point release" is, imo, useless.

i use a new build almost weekly (depending on the new features and bug fixes) so anyone 'waiting' for a point release is either uninformed or they are not a "power user" (which is fine).

why are we even discussing thisHuh

links will be in the cvs. xbmc is easily best of class so...

be happy and move on

:joker:

- HarshReality - 2006-03-12

(gamester17 @ mar. 09 2006,09:20 Wrote:
(harshreality @ mar. 09 2006,08:23 Wrote:judging the way the point releases have been going 2.o.o is like 5 years away anyway.
i guess you missed the announcement?, (at least i hope you just did that otherwise your comment can be considered as very rude):
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....t=19350
wasnt meant to be rude... was meant to be sarcastic. as i could do better if i could do better but obviously cannot then its sarcasm. i saw the announcement sure enough but the announcement is never any indication of a timeline Wink

- incognegro - 2006-03-12

i personally use links mostly to read text files and stuff........i still think its the best idea to be put in xbmc (trainer support came close though) :agree:

- Textbook - 2006-03-14

only my 6th post on the forums, i'm kind of a noob, so don't flame me.

i finally had a reason to compile my own build of xbmc. i have never done it before, i just always used the t3ch releases. xbmc-links was something i knew i wanted, so i had to figure out how to compile xbmc. fortunately, los93sol made a tutorial for it and it couldn't have been easier. i downloaded the xbmc cvs for 2-22 and i downloaded the 2-22 svn for xbmc-links. overwrote the files, and ran the batch file to compile it. i can't remember exactly, because i did it a few days ago, but i believe it went something like this:

1 error and 40-something warnings

i can't remember, it said something like that, i didn't know if it would matter or not - i followed the tutorial correctly.

well, i uploaded the build to my xbox and xbmc worked. so i go to the scripts menu and started "web browser". works fine as well, has only locked up one me one time.

so here is my question:

is there a default keymap.xml (i'm guessing) that is specific for xbmc-links. i figured there would be, so i woudln't have to map it myself (i've never done that, except for when i did my remote) the mouse cursor works, the a button works, and the black button works. i can't bring up the address bar and pressing white does not bring up the go to menu like i thought it would.

i'm sure this is something very simple that can be fixed in under 2 minutes, i'm guessing just the xml file.

sorry if this is off-topic, but i saw other posts in here that seemed way off-topic. mods please edit accordingly, all that jazz. just want a little bit of help with the controller/keymap. thanks.

ps - what you have going on here is absolutely amazing. i always though linksboks integration in xbmc would be sweet, if only for the virtual keyboard (no offense, but i can't stand the default links keyboard). the media abilities this unlocks are great as well. i just think it's a great project and i know a few people that will appreciate this, so keep it going and keep updating it for us. work those bugs out and hopefully team xbmc will accept it for cvs after 2.0.0. here's hoping!