Kodi Community Forum
LinksBoks (Links2Browser Web-Browser) integration into XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: LinksBoks (Links2Browser Web-Browser) integration into XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=11640)

- weinerschnitzel - 2007-07-20

Given that Ysbox has taken another leave of absence, will CoolGamer30 or another developer that understands Linksboks enough to re-sync, keep this magnificent project alive?
A reply from someone higher up on the ladder would be much appreciated.

- pike - 2007-07-20

you can expect an announcement any day (week?) now from the guy himself -Ysbox-

- xino - 2007-07-20

is there any damn links to download the new LinksBoks!? >:@

- C-Quel - 2007-07-20

xino
213 posts

And your still wondering where to download binaries?

Read the rules!

- weinerschnitzel - 2007-07-21

There are no links. You have to build it on your own. It's in its on branch on the XBMC SVN.
URL here:
https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/linksbrowser
Maybe that url should be the subtitle for this topic to make things easier for everyone, does a mod agree with me and would like to edit that?

Also, pike, I figure you mean Ysbox has been popping up in IRC or so, and has an update for us? At least an update on what the future looks like?

- ysbox - 2007-07-21

Hi everyone,

As you probably noticed if you still follow this thread, the linksbrowser branch in svn hasn't been updated for more than 2 months, and I want to apologize for my idleness because the responsibility lies on me and noone else; the fact is, I began working on a few little features some weeks ago (scroll when pointer reaches screen border, better navigation with remote) which are still not finished/stable so I've not been able to even merge the latest changes in the trunk to the branch, to keep it current with the new developments in xbmc.

Let's admit it, I've had "other priorities" once again and hadn't been able able to find time to get it done -not mentioning the fact that my xbox and my computer are in separate rooms now so testing/debugging is harder unless I move my things over every time. Therefore, while I don't want to give up on this project completely since it would be a shame to throw all this work over, I think it's time to revise our goals; this means releasing it to the general public by merging it into the "official" xbmc trunk is not a priority anymore and might well never happen because:

1. I fear it will generate a lot of feature requests, suggestions, bugs from all those new, demanding users which wouldn't be fixed or implemented "in a timely fashion" (or at all), and it wouldn't be fair to deceive all those people -like I'm probably deceiving you guys right now;
  2. xbmc is advancing at a pace I honestly don't think I can follow, and maintenance work would still have to be done: it would be unacceptable to have xbmc not compiling because some browser code is outdated and the its maintainer is not there to fix it;
  3. if you're following xbmc's latest developments, you can see it's going to be focusing on newer platforms than our aging beloved xbox, where an old-generation browser like links (which was IMO the better choice for the xbox) is becoming less relevant because of lesser technical constraints and official support for those platforms by better, up-to-the-standards browsers.

For all those reasons, I really think it's better to let it stay in a separate branch and have its own development pace, and keep it internal, like some sort of proof-of-concept for interested & "informed" people only. For these people, I promise I'll finish my current work and make a sync on my next free evening...

I'm sincerely hoping you will understand my view of the situation, this post is aimed at making it clearer and saner, I'm already ashamed to have let you keep on waiting and having false expectations. Especially when I see the enthusiasm and support from all of you who post in this thread (and others); this helps a lot to prevent this project from dying completely.

Cheers,
-ysbox

- ysbox - 2007-07-21

NYZO Wrote:well i just compiled - i clicked on a video link - links saved it to x:\ and then xbmc started playing it flawlessly.

webbanane Wrote:Hi NYZO!

What kind of link/video? Example?

Videos which are embedded directly into webpages and are recognized with a mime-type (like "video/mpeg") configured for use with xbmc.
This configuration and extensions associated to a certain mime-type is configured though the GUI in "expert mode" (Options menu), and are stored in the UserData/LinksBrowser/links.cfg file:
http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xbmc/branches/linksbrowser/XBMC/userdata/LinksBrowser/links.cfg?revision=8593&view=markup

Currently the file is downloaded then played, passing only the url to let mplayer/paplayer handle the streaming is not supported currently.

- shizzle - 2007-07-21

how do i compile linksboks?

- xino - 2007-07-21

C-Quel Wrote:xino
213 posts

And your still wondering where to download binaries?

Read the rules!

i don't have time to be using tortoise..or buliding svn:/
i don't even know how to use em

- C-Quel - 2007-07-21

Well instead of reading the rules... RTFM!

- webbanane - 2007-07-21

Hi ysbox!

In the first place I got sad about your statement (for what else would I need my new german (and international) keyboard feature developed for XBMC, but typing URLs), but when thinking about it, I believe you are simply honest and totally right and I believe I can imagine or feel what it meant for you to take this decision. And in this situation what you are doing is absolutly right and the best thing you can do.

For all the others:

Accept reality and think about the consequences for both variants:
1. ysbox would do as he said before today
2. ysbox does as he says today
and in both variants its true, what he says: "I've had "other priorities" once again".

ysbox has its own life, of course, what do you think, but all users don't take care about his situation, are imaginative and are wishing features, features, features like me.

I think the consequences would (1.) and can (2.) be:

1. ysbox has still its own life and would try its best to get linksboks integrated into trunk and maintain it. As he says, sooner or later problems would occur and ysbox does not always have time for it. "It would be unacceptable to have XBMC not compiling because some browser code is outdated and its maintainer is not there to fix it." This responsibility might be too big for his time "budget". Such a responsibility is only bearable if ysbox already has support by further "heavy" developers NOW. But he has NOT!

Other developers might be forced to comment linksboks out, someway. Not only one source code line that does not compile, no they might comment it out totally, they even might remove the whole code, since otherwise XBMC might tend to crash when some linksboks features are tried. And what if ysbox does quit the team? Then there would be no easy way to reanimate linksboks in such a state.

2. ysbox has still its own life and develops linksboks with his own pace. Separate releases occur for all "actively" interested. Perhaps sometime further heavily interested developers occur and support ysbox. They might merge newest features from XBMC to linksboks or do more. We all have to hope and wait for it. Wink (Allthough all potential developers already had enough time to jump in.)

And to solace you: sometime XBMC might be at a new modern platforms for us all with another cool Cool browser

So keep on your GREAT work ysbox! And let us cheer for ysbox Nod

Cheers,
webbanane

- weinerschnitzel - 2007-07-22

He lives! Welcome back Ysbox, for however long you plan to stay. I have sent you a few messages over IRC, I want to discuss the future of links2xbmc and what i can do.
For the forums, I am not making any promises if I am or able to make any changes. I don't want to pull a ysc and get stuck in people's enthusiasm. Laugh
Ysbox, if you dont get my messages and you get this, please contact me "weiner" on #xbmc.

shizzle and xino, im willing to help you out in *informing you about* what you need to build this project. It is all in the wiki and you will have an easier time reading the right section of the manual and using Google than trying to get others to do the work for you.
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.php?title=Obtaining_XBMC
The stuff in parenthesis like: "(also known as the XDK)" is there for a reason. Wink

- Solo0815 - 2007-07-22

Maybe the XBMC-Team and ysbox could throw out a point release _with_ Links? in the further developing they can comment out the Links-Code if it´s needed Cool

THX for all the work on links2xbmc

- Nickman - 2007-07-22

Yeah sad to see this happen.. Ive been opting for Links in xbmc from the start 3 years ago.... my god have it been THAT long ?

My hope got up once again when the first offical SVN bransch was uploaded. But when the whole linux port work began i knew inside that this would probobly happen. Anyhow THANK YOU again for all creative work you have done and all the excitement you have caused over the years :-) And good luck in the future.

- spiff - 2007-07-22

unfinished stuff will obviously NOT be put in a point release