Kodi Community Forum
LinksBoks (Links2Browser Web-Browser) integration into XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: LinksBoks (Links2Browser Web-Browser) integration into XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=11640)

- BritneysPAIRS - 2005-05-13

said id fix up tommorrow, couldnt wait to comment Smile oh well hope it looks ok for mockup of full screen browser

- Asteron - 2005-05-13

(gamester17 @ may 12 2005,03:19 Wrote:ps! off-topic and kind-of a request; ysbox should maybe also start to look into tying/linking linkboks somehow into python because python-devs/scripts will probebely have most use of it? Huh
the easiest way to do this is to use the xbmc builtin commands. this would allow it to be used in python, the web server, and keymap.xml (like you can have a key that opens cnn).

if it's programmed as a standard window you should be able to show/hide it from python as is. other than that you want all those good commands (goto, back, forward, reload, stop, etc...) to be builtin too.

a script i could think of for this feature would be to show a slideshow of web pages.... or maybe have a feature of a script that launches a help website for that script...

- mau108 - 2005-05-15

hey guys,

i got visual studio 2003 .net and xdk 5933 installed. i followed the instructions on how to compile linksboks but it doesnt work, i build solution and then compile it, where the hell is the .xbe file?

- Nuka1195 - 2005-05-15

look for a folder called release, unless you did a debug build.

- mau108 - 2005-05-15

ye, it came with a .lib extension, i renamed it .xbe and upped it (6mb), ran it and it just reboot into xbmc Confused

- los93sol - 2005-05-15

update: ysbox started sectioning links, everything is extremely memory friendly, a few bugs to work out, but this should increase free mem when links is unloaded and should allow us to use fonts from a file instead of including them in the .xbe so we can also decrease the size of the .xbe file now Smile
regards,
los93sol

- mau108 - 2005-05-16

i cant get it work?
is it suppose to be 6mb and .lib, do i jsut rename it to .xbe Huh

thanks

- incognegro - 2005-05-16

Quote:update: ysbox started sectioning links, everything is extremely memory friendly, a few bugs to work out, but this should increase free mem when links is unloaded and should allow us to use fonts from a file instead of including them in the .xbe so we can also decrease the size of the .xbe file now

beautiful :o , great to hear.

- los93sol - 2005-05-16

mau108: first of all, you don't just rename files, you compile them.  second of all, what instructions are you following, the ones from ysbox site?  if you followed those instructions and used the stuff on his site you are waaaay out of date and it most likely won't compile with current xbmc cvs.  just wait, we aren't spending time helping people get something that isn't even done yet, working.  when we officially go public with it you will be able to add it in easily but as of now, there is not a 'simple' patch.

other news, the browser is now just under 300k when unloaded, seems very acceptable to me, but ysbox wants to get it under 20k when unloaded Smile  hopefully the final numbers will be more than pleasing to everyone Wink

for now, ysbox has decided to leave the fonts in the .xbe, they may go to a file later.  (hoping so because i know the .xbe size is one of the things some of the official dev's have on their list of concerns)

i will keep you posted as things progress!

regards,
los93sol

p.s.  it was asked if we could post a screenie of the browser playing a stream from the internet...that part is not done yet so no.  it is a planned feature though so keep your fingers crossed and the support coming! :d

- rinocom - 2005-05-16

thanks, i'm looking forward to the functionality.
you guys should set up a paypal support link. i'll through some money at you for the project.

- ysbox - 2005-05-16

here's my latest memory bench:
  release configuration, launched out of the xdk (normal x2 bios)
  xbmc launched in "debug mode" (x+y at startup)
  free memory once in the main screen right after startup:
  -41082880 without the browser compiled in
  -40968192 with the browser
that's 120k actually, couldn't reduce it further without ending up with weird pagefaults in mplayer... Huh
i still consider it quite stable as it is now.

now the engine remains loaded until you explicitely press "back" to return to the main screen, even when you're in another window (full screen video/visualization, screensaver, system info...); in that case, it enters a special "sleeping" mode which takes up a limited amount of memory (doesn't disturb video playing for instance), and when you're back you're getting back the browsing session you had before leaving.

additionally, the browser now forwards media files to xbmc, as an example i went to shoutcast.com and clicked on a link and the radio started playing, pretty sweet Wink it works on ebaumsworld.com too.
however, links behaves the "classical" way and downloads files to a temporary location and makes xbmc play the local copy, that means no direct streaming of files unless the file is a small playlist file containing the url of the stream (most sites do that way). i'm perfectly ok with that behavior and i probably won't agree to make ugly hacks to change it.

if you wanna check it out, here's the url of our subversion repository for anonymous checkout: http://opensvn.csie.org/links2xbmc
if you just want to browse code, go to https://opensvn.csie.org/viewcvs.cgi/?root=links2xbmc
use tortoisesvn ( http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ ) to check out over an existing xbmc cvs from today (05/16)
if you're confused, sorry i don't have time to do support, you figure it out... or maybe you'll find some people in #xbmcmeetslinks, efnet to help you out.
i'll commit my changes later tonight.

and thanks to anyone who wants to donate, i'll think about it because i'm cupid :p

- mau108 - 2005-05-16

(los93sol @ may 16 2005,19:39 Wrote:mau108: first of all, you don't just rename files, you compile them. second of all, what instructions are you following, the ones from ysbox site? if you followed those instructions and used the stuff on his site you are waaaay out of date and it most likely won't compile with current xbmc cvs. just wait, we aren't spending time helping people get something that isn't even done yet, working. when we officially go public with it you will be able to add it in easily but as of now, there is not a 'simple' patch.

other news, the browser is now just under 300k when unloaded, seems very acceptable to me, but ysbox wants to get it under 20k when unloaded Smile hopefully the final numbers will be more than pleasing to everyone Wink

for now, ysbox has decided to leave the fonts in the .xbe, they may go to a file later. (hoping so because i know the .xbe size is one of the things some of the official dev's have on their list of concerns)

i will keep you posted as things progress!

regards,
los93sol

p.s. it was asked if we could post a screenie of the browser playing a stream from the internet...that part is not done yet so no. it is a planned feature though so keep your fingers crossed and the support coming! :d
i did compiled the .sln file and it brought up a 6mb .lib file.

i tried a compiled version out and its an awesome browser, but would like to try the latest version out Wink.

i dont mind screwing up my xbox, i like beta testing, but if only i could Sad

- Gamester17 - 2005-05-17

(ysbox @ may 16 2005,21:45 Wrote:now the engine remains loaded until you explicitely press "back" to return to the main screen, even when you're in another window (full screen video/visualization, screensaver, system info...); in that case, it enters a special "sleeping" mode which takes up a limited amount of memory (doesn't disturb video playing for instance), and when you're back you're getting back the browsing session you had before leaving.
what about closing/exiting the browser completly without rebooting?, so going back to normal xbmc (and of course thus loosing that linksboks session), does "back" do that?

(los93sol @ may 16 2005,19:39 Wrote:for now, ysbox has decided to leave the fonts in the .xbe, they may go to a file later.
three letters; ttf (true type fonts) Confusedaint:  ...using the existing library (ie. not duplicating the ttf loader)
(gamester17 @ may 13 2005,08:33 Wrote:
(ysbox @ may 13 2005,00:50 Wrote:the fonts are currently in the .xbe as a section -it's quite convenient- but can probably be loaded from an external file without a lot of work. however, getting rid of those fonts and rewriting the fonts system from scratch *is* a lot of work (if even possible)
what about using/linking xbmc's existing ttf font loader and using those (with anti-alising) as a shared library instead?, would that not take up less memory? Huh

- ysbox - 2005-05-17

(gamester17 @ may 17 2005,07:29 Wrote:
(ysbox @ may 16 2005,21:45 Wrote:now the engine remains loaded until you explicitely press "back" to return to the main screen, even when you're in another window (full screen video/visualization, screensaver, system info...); in that case, it enters a special "sleeping" mode which takes up a limited amount of memory (doesn't disturb video playing for instance), and when you're back you're getting back the browsing session you had before leaving.
what about closing/exiting the browser completly without rebooting?, so going back to normal xbmc (and of course thus loosing that linksboks session), does "back" do that?

yes.
when you're done browsing you lose your session and get all your memory back.

(gamester17 @ may 17 2005,07:29 Wrote:
(los93sol @ may 16 2005,19:39 Wrote:for now, ysbox has decided to leave the fonts in the .xbe, they may go to a file later.
three letters; ttf (true type fonts) Confusedaint:  ...using the existing library (ie. not duplicating the ttf loader)
(gamester17 @ may 13 2005,08:33 Wrote:
(ysbox @ may 13 2005,00:50 Wrote:the fonts are currently in the .xbe as a section -it's quite convenient- but can probably be loaded from an external file without a lot of work. however, getting rid of those fonts and rewriting the fonts system from scratch *is* a lot of work (if even possible)
what about using/linking xbmc's existing ttf font loader and using those (with anti-alising) as a shared library instead?, would that not take up less memory? Huh

it may not be that simple, because 1. links currently needs its builtin fonts to work, removing them could be painful; 2. i believe making a library depend on the main app is an architectural mistake -we have to come up with a well-thought api to let the main app (xbmc) provide its custom font engine.

however i agree it would be a plus visually, i only think it's too early to break things and start doing that at this point, given it's not technically critical (these builtin fonts take up 0 bytes of memory when unloaded, and don't slow down xbmc's booting or running). for now i'll move those fonts out of their xbe section to a separate file, granted having the xbe size back to normal would help making people feel more comfortable.

a nice little feature to implement also is adding a xbmc builtin command like "xbmc.browseurl(http://www.imdb.com/whatever)", i suppose these builtin commands are callable from python scripts too?

thanks

- evilnick - 2005-05-17

this sounds fantastic, am downloading and compiling right now to test.